Your Ad Here

Fire Bruce Arians!
Apr 17, 14, 05:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: The running game is soooooo overrated.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic:  james.roberts@gci.net  (Read 22 times)
njwt835oen

View Profile
« on: May 05, 13, 22:46 »

To share the love, Sierra Nevada hosts a number of beer camps every year that allow attendees the chance to have a full-on immersion into one of America’s true heritage breweries. I’m one of the lucky folks that have been to the legendary Sierra Nevada Brewing Company Beer Camp. Oh, and I’m almost ashamed to admit that I’ve now been there twice.

In 2011, I attended the 49th Beer Camp that the brewery hosted and in November of 2012, I attended the 93rd. I’ve been to big craft breweries before. I’ve also had the opportunity to brew beer at commercial breweries, but the three-day experience at Sierra Nevada was so much more than that,celinebagsrose.com. In addition to being treated like royalty by the brewery staff and getting a hands-on feel for the art of commercial, large-scale craft brewing, I came away each time with a true feel for the passion that owner Ken Grossman and his staff have for what they do. 

The capstone event was getting to sit down with the group I attended with and design, then make a beer on the brewery’s state-of-the-art,celinebagrose, 10-barrel research and development brewing system. And if that’s not enough, the brewery was gracious enough to send an allotment of the resulting beer to Alaska to be distributed in the establishments of my choice.

The group I went down with in November consisted of a number of the writers for the nationally distributed Celebrator Beer News, another publication that I write for. Our group concocted a modernized,fees and registration go to, imperialized version of the flagship Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. We bumped the booze from 5.6 percent alcohol to 9.2 percent by adding copious amounts of Golden Promise malt to the base two-row malt and caramel malt. We chose Bravo hops for bittering the beer, Cascades for the flavor and decided on more Cascades and Citra hops in the “torpedo,” a special device that’s shaped like a torpedo through which the cold,saclongchamprose.com, conditioned beer is pushed. The torpedo imparts the delicate hop aroma without adding more bitterness to the beer. It also uses fewer hops to achieve better results than the standard dry hopping method,Longchamp, which is to put bags of hops into the conditioning beer.

The other enhancement to our beer was to keg condition it, which means that slight additional fermentation and beer maturation takes place in the kegs. This should afford a slightly softer, more well-rounded flavor, which comes with a bit more expense as the kegs have to be periodically and slowly rocked on a special machine through the process. 

Coincidentally, 2013 is the Celebrator Beer News’ 25th Anniversary, and although we tinkered around with a bunch of different names for the beer (my favorite being Stop The Press Double Pale Ale), it’s fitting that my publisher Tom Dalldorf decided on Celebrator Beer News 25th Anniversary Double Pale Ale. 

I selected three venues to feature the beer. The first time I attended Beer Camp, I was there with Billy Opinsky,chaneloutletrose, the owner of Humpy’s Great Alaskan Alehouse. The beer we brewed was sent to Humpy’s and I enjoyed pint after pint of it until it was gone. 

Humpy’s is a fitting location for another reason. As far as I’m concerned,truereligionjeansoutletrose, Humpy’s is what proved that a good alehouse could work in the downtown corridor and was the forerunning alehouse in the state. It just seems right that the beer should be showcased there. Chances are that it will end up around the corner at the connected SubZero Bistro and Microlounge, and when I talked to Billy, he said he might feature a special release event when the beer arrives and is ready to be served. 

Another location I see as fitting is Café Amsterdam in midtown. Owner/proprietor/barkeep/cook Ken Pajak has a long history of serving excellent, high-end beer in an establishment that doesn’t tolerate any crap on tap.  As I’ve long touted, Café serves their beer at the right temperature and either in brewery-specific glassware, or at the very least, the proper type of glass (not all beer deserves a Libby #5 pint glass, after all). Their beer is served by a staff that knows what they are serving and can talk about it to interested patrons. I know my beer will be proudly featured and served with consummate care at Café,celine handbag

Pajak expressed interest in perhaps even hosting a beer dinner that would feature not only the Beer Camp beer, but other noteworthy Sierra Nevada selections, one of which would be the flagship Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that the Beer Camp beer is based on. 

Finally, I’m insisting that some of the beer show up on the growler bar at La Bodega Liquor Store in the Metro Mall, conveniently just a couple of doors down from Café Amsterdam,The Monte Cristo,chanel sunglasses. Owner Pamela Hatzis is another beer icon in Alaska and brings us some of the most excellent packaged beer that’s available locally, nationally and from around the world. Her growler bar features a constantly rotating selection of top-notch beer and, quite simply, I’d be proud to see the Beer Camp beer among the selections. 

The release dates haven’t been established yet as the beer is taking a leisurely cargo ship ride to our shores, so watch for event announcements at each of the establishments," he said. "I am happy to help them any way I can.". I can’t tell you what the beer will be like because I haven’t tasted it yet, but for your sake, I sure hope it’s good.  

james.roberts@gci.net
Fire Bruce Arians!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: