Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 19:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dance with the Giants, Again?  (Read 2423 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 09:38 »

i have a question just because ive never paid attention to it in the past:

Finny, you mocked out in this thread based on visits, do the Steelers in their recent history stick to guys they have had visits with prior to the draft or is it a mixed bag of visits/non-visits?  in other words, because we didnt visit a player, does that mean we arent interested?
IIRC, (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) of the last 7 first round picks, I'm pretty sure they brought in almost all of them.  Can't remember if Simmons was interviewed and oddly enough, I can't remember if they brought in San Antonio "John" Holmes last year.

The more I think about Holmesy, I think he might've been brought in late as sort of a late afterthought because it wasn't expected that he would be there when they picked.  Simmons...I can't remember.

The others...Miller, #7, #43, Hampton and Plax all visited...I believe.

Then again though, consider that all those picks were under the Cowher regime.  There's a new sheriff in town and nobody knows 'cept him whether he's going to continue that trend.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007 at 09:39 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
mvk112
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 10:04 »

trade down with jets for #25, & #59, giving them #15 & 5th rounder
trade faneca to cardinals for #38 & next years 3rd rounder

1.25 - Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State
2.38 - Justin Blalock, OG, Texas
2.46 - Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC
2.59 - Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal
3.77 - Quinn Pitcock, DL, Ohio State

4.119 - Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson
4.127 - Lorenzo Booker, RB, Florida State
5.170 - Dan Mozes, C, West Virginia
6.192 - Clark Harris, TE, Rutgers
7.227 - Roderick Rogers, S, Wisconsin

I think the Giants take Pozlusny, and Timmons will still be there at 25.
Jarrett may drop to our original 2nd round spot.
Booker will give us a very good 3rd down back who is explosive, and a decent blocker.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 10:23 »

1.20 (NYG)
2.38 (AZ)
2.51 (NYG)

Just using the team visits as a template:

1.20 (NYG) - Timmons, OLB
2.38 (AZ) - Sidney Rice, WR
2.46 - Antonio Pittman, RB
2.51 (NYG) - Ryan Harris, OG (listed at OT, but could move inside to LG)

Using your methodology and assumptions, I think my picks would end up being closer to Jack's than yours, Fin.

I fucking hate all the Timmons talk.  I just don't like it.  I can't put my finger on the main reason, I just know that it feels like the wrong pick.  Not very scientific or analytical and it certainly falls short of the unabridged War and Peace draft reasoning of that dude from BSG, but that's what my gut tells me and I'm stickin' to it.  The only college LB I'd be cool with them taking in the first is Willis.  After that, it's all tweeners or maybe a guy like Poz in R2 if he slips, but I doubt it.

Don't like the Rice or Pittman picks.  I firmly believe that if Faneca gets dealt, they have no choice but to take an OC or OG early and maybe even burn two Day One picks on the O-line.  Whether it's at 2.38 or 2.46 probably depends a lot on who's still on the board, but I don't see them burning one of those early ones on a WR.  As to RB, I really don't understand the reasoning behind the Pittman interest.  It really baffles me.  There's zero talk about a RB in R1.  None.  But, using a R2 pick on Pittman?  IMO, the difference in skill level between Lynch and Pittman is huge.  If they're going to burn an early pick on a RB, just fucking take Lynch already.  Pittman isn't even serviceable as a backup.  My $0.02 there.

Ryan Harris is the one pick I really like.  I think that's a sleeper pick.  Solid, solid fundamental lineman.  Exactly what I like to see from a front 5 prospect.  Mid to late R2 might be a little early, but I think it's a safe bet that he'll be long gone by the time their turn comes around again in R4.

With all that said, here's who I would take with those Day One picks you outlined:

(1.20) - Revis, Hall, or maybe Carriker if he slips that far.
(2.38) - Spencer or Woodley
(2.46) - Blalock or Grubbs
(2.51) - Ryan Harris or David Harris  

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Hercules50

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 12:26 »

Good points. I agree that if Faneca is traded, TWO Day One picks on O-linemen will probably be necessary. The team shouldn't be slavish about that -- if quality players are taken before each of our picks, reaching would only hurt us in the long run.

Second-- I really think the idea of getting two Day One picks for Faneca is a pipe dream. Think about it: he's old, he's expensive, he's got one year left on his deal, and, so far as we know, there is exactly one bidder for his services.

I, for one, will be thrilled if, in the event that we trade Faneca, we get one 2nd rounder for him. Would not shock me if we only get a 3rd rounder for him.

(In which case, I think it would be best if we made him play out his deal and part ways after the season. But if Faneca tells the team he's not going to play without a new deal, he could force their hand.)
TwistedLemon

« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 15:28 »

Somewhere in the mix.....assuming he is there at say last of 3 picks in round 2, or only round 3 (depending whose scenario is used) why not J Durant?

"My reality check bounced"
VThrilla18

« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 16:30 »

trade down with jets for #25, & #59, giving them #15 & 5th rounder
trade faneca to cardinals for #38 & next years 3rd rounder

1.25 - Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State
2.38 - Justin Blalock, OG, Texas
2.46 - Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC
2.59 - Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal
3.77 - Quinn Pitcock, DL, Ohio State

4.119 - Anthony Waters, LB, Clemson
4.127 - Lorenzo Booker, RB, Florida State
5.170 - Dan Mozes, C, West Virginia
6.192 - Clark Harris, TE, Rutgers
7.227 - Roderick Rogers, S, Wisconsin

I think the Giants take Pozlusny, and Timmons will still be there at 25.
Jarrett may drop to our original 2nd round spot.
Booker will give us a very good 3rd down back who is explosive, and a decent blocker.
No way Jarrett falls that far into the 2nd round.. something tells me he wont fall past Dallas in the first.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: