Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 03:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: will he be traded by the draft
yes - 8 (42.1%)
no - 11 (57.9%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faneca  (Read 2998 times)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 13:43 »

Wrong, he was spotted at the Steelers training facility right before the last mini camp but then left before practice started. That, to me, shows very little respect to Tomlin and his staff. If you are going to stay away....then stay away!
he probably forgot his lucky hat...he cant travel without it.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
bucc-o-pain
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 13:48 »

he probably forgot his lucky hat...he cant travel without it.

Or he forgot his Lucky Tampons...he can't be a bitch without them.

Tanqueray and Tab and keep 'em comin'.  - Big Ern
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 13:52 »

To clarify, I have no problem with them trading Faneca.  I assume if a deal goes down, it won't be him for a 2nd rounder, straight up.  Rather something like (not looking at value charts at the moment) AZ's 2nd round pick and one of our Day Two picks for Faneca and one of our Day Two picks.  

I'm not against trading Faneca.  

He has no business going public about who he wanted to be head coach, all that does is cause descension in the ranks.

He said he wanted Grimm as HC.  

Beyond wanting to create a story, really nothing of value there.  

It was not just a one time thing either, which we could have chalked up to emotions.

Where else and how often?

Other than the media jumping on it and asking him again and again, to which I would expect his honest answer, I haven't come across repeat performances.

But I've been busy and may have missed a few quips from Faneca.  

But that gets to my point...that it does seem that  all of a sudden, Faneca is the villain.  Almost overnight.  Last year, at this time, he was a fan favorite.  Now, enemy #1.  

So while I understand that the media has positioned Faneca as posturing for a new contract, 1) it isn't new and isn't exclusive to Faneca and 2) seems to me that he hasn't been egregious in anything he's done since Tomlin's hiring.  Sure, you'd like him to kiss Tomlin's ass as Ben has and say Tomlin was his first choice.  But things don't always work out that way.  As in life, players aren't perfect.  

It would have been pleasant to for Faneca to keep his comments to himself but it's not a requirement by the team and should not be by the fans.  

I think trading Faneca is reasonable, as from what I've read in the media, they (in the media) believe he is unhappy with his contract.  Most veterans who are entering their final year are this way, so I have little doubt Faneca is unhappy that he hasn't received an extension.  

I think it's unfortunate that he's going out as a bad guy.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 14:04 »

I am a big fan of Faneca, but if we can't sign him and he does not want to be here lets get all we can for him.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
bucc-o-pain
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 14:17 »

it isn't new and isn't exclusive to Faneca

It should be exclusive to players coming off a season in which they performed.

I can't remember exactly who it was but I believe Clayton was saying that it is no secret that Faneca is still upset about Grimm not getting the job. I know that this does not mean much but where there is smoke there is usually fire.  

jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 14:18 »

I'd rather lose him a year early for a second rounder than a year later for a late fourth or fifth rounder.

i would expect at least a 3rd round compensation for Faneca if he leaves via FA after 2007.  I thought the compensation selections were based upon playing time and value to a team dollar wise.  faneca would start every game unless injured and be on the field for almost every offensive possession for his new team.  Plus he was a first rounder, so the choice IMO would be between a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year or a 3rd rounder in the 2009 draft.
This is the really good point.  Even if Faneca is guaranteed going to go after 2007 the compensatory pick is roughly what we want in a trade now.  I would rather keep Faneca and see what happens over the next few months (and at worst get a 3rd in the 08 draft) then trade Faneca now.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 14:35 »

and at worst get a 3rd in the 08 draft) then trade Faneca now.

A 3rd rounder in 08 would be the best we could get if he left as a free agent. And those very rarely get given out, as far as I can recall.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 14:40 »

i believe we wouldnt receive any compensation selection for Faneca until the 2009 draft.  he would have to play through the 2008 season with another team before we get compensated.

we are getting the compensation for Randel El in this years draft after he put in a year of play time with the skins.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
bucc-o-pain
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 14:48 »

I would rather keep Faneca and see what happens over the next few months (and at worst get a 3rd in the 08 draft) then trade Faneca now.

At worst a 3rd rounder? there were only four 3rd round comp picks that were given out this year. does anyone know who they were for?

I think a more accurate statement would be 3rd rounder at best.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 15:06 »

At worst a 3rd rounder? there were only four 3rd round comp picks that were given out this year. does anyone know who they were for?

I think a more accurate statement would be 3rd rounder at best.
This years 3rd Round comps, their salaries , & this year's performance.  I'm thinkin' Faneca's next contract would be at least the $5.6M per year that Woodson managed.  I'd be surprised if (pending the details) the Steelers didn't get a 3rd round comp.

THIRD ROUND
San Diego (Drew Brees, $10.0 million, 16 Games Played/16 Games Started, Pro Bowl)
San Francisco (Julian Peterson , $7.714 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)
Indianapolis (Edgerrin James, $7.5 million, 16/16)
Oakland (Charles Woodson, $5.576 million, 16/16)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007 at 15:06 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: