Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 15:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: will he be traded by the draft
yes - 8 (42.1%)
no - 11 (57.9%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faneca  (Read 3406 times)
bucc-o-pain
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #20 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 15:12 »

THIRD ROUND
San Diego (Drew Brees, $10.0 million, 16 Games Played/16 Games Started, Pro Bowl)
San Francisco (Julian Peterson , $7.714 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)
Indianapolis (Edgerrin James, $7.5 million, 16/16)
Oakland (Charles Woodson, $5.576 million, 16/16)

If Faneca continues to decline in 2007, then I would not put him the class of those guys above. In fact, after last year , I am not sure I would put them in the same class as those guys above.

Tanqueray and Tab and keep 'em comin'.  - Big Ern
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 15:36 »

The player's "class" has little to do with it.  It's all about the Benjamins.  Edge is a prime example.  His production fell off a little this year, yet losing him garnered the Colts a 3rd round comp.  Why?... 'cause he got paid $7.5M per season under his new contract.  Compensatory picks follow the money, not production.  If Faneca were to leave after this season, & score dollars like the top OG's recently, I'm pretty confident there would be a high comp pick in the works.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007 at 15:43 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
bucc-o-pain
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 15:42 »

I understand now. I was not aware it was all about the cash.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Tanqueray and Tab and keep 'em comin'.  - Big Ern
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 16:26 »

I don't see a deal going down.  

AZ would give up a high 2nd rounder for a guy in the last year or his contract, whom they could get, sans the draft pick, in 2008?

Sounds like NHL trade talk to me.  

Doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007 at 16:30 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 07:20 »

I don't see a deal going down.  

AZ would give up a high 2nd rounder for a guy in the last year or his contract, whom they could get, sans the draft pick, in 2008?

Sounds like NHL trade talk to me.  

Doesn't make sense.
Two things.  The Cards would get him now, as opposed to 2008.  For a team that's been talked about as having a decent D and tons of offensive firepower and is poised to break into the postseason... Yeah, well, until that OL gets fixed, you can rush Edge James 1000 times and he ain't goin' anywhere, not to mention Matty Leinart might be all busted the hell up by next year.

So, fixing the line is a bit of a priority.

Also, not sure what the 2008 cap outlook for various teams are, but I suspect the Cards are in good shape.  As are about 2/3 of the teams in the league.  Who says the Cards win a bidding war?  If they have their man in mind, they might not want to settle for second best in a 2008 FA bid-off.  

Not saying a trade will go down, just sying it's not out of left field from the Cards' perspective.

Hell, if they want to give up a 2007 R2 + R3 and a 2008 R2, I'll throw Max Starks in to the deal gratis.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 08:46 »

Two things. The Cards would get him now, as opposed to 2008. For a team that's been talked about as having a decent D and tons of offensive firepower and is poised to break into the postseason... Yeah, well, until that OL gets fixed, you can rush Edge James 1000 times and he ain't goin' anywhere, not to mention Matty Leinart might be all busted the hell up by next year.

So, fixing the line is a bit of a priority

Which certainly can be fixed by taking Blaylock, Kalil (played guard in the Senior Bowl I believe), or Sears with their 2nd round pick.  One of those guys will be available, will be cheaper than Faneca (now and 2008), and have a longer shelf-life.  

There is no disagreement that the Cards' OL is bad.  They lost their best (that's a relative term) OL in Leonard Davis.  They brought in one or two guys (Mike Gandy is one).  They still need help...a lot of it.  

I think they're in a position to improve the line via the draft.  

IMO, the Cards hold all of the cards.  

Also, not sure what the 2008 cap outlook for various teams are, but I suspect the Cards are in good shape. As are about 2/3 of the teams in the league. Who says the Cards win a bidding war? If they have their man in mind, they might not want to settle for second best in a 2008 FA bid-off.

Could be.  

But there is a very distinct, publicly acknowledged link between Faneca and the new coaching staff in AZ.  

So for AZ to be a top choice for Faneca in 2008, once he's left as a FA....it's not the normal scenario where it's a random NFL star who just wants to get paid.  

Faneca is irked about two things, from what I've read in the papers....the shakeup in Pittsburgh and money.  

If the Cards are okay cap-wise, I think the coaching connection wins out...rather easily.  

So I don't see AZ as feeling pressure to get Faneca now or never.  

Also would expect Faneca to draw interest from a Cowher-led team, if that happens.  

Agree that it's feasible for AZ to trade for Faneca...but the way I see it, they are positioned very well in the draft to get very good OL help through the first two rounds.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2007 at 10:03 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
sysadmin7

« Reply #26 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 09:45 »

No one can doubt that Alan Faneca's isn't the best LG in the NFL. I don't care about his age, his production on the field is still amazing...and it clearly warrants top $$$. But, at some point...Alan has to realize he's a leader in the locker-room/in the trenches, so you buckle up that KEVLAR and go practice with your team, giving your new head coach confidence in team unity. Sure, you want paid...I don't blame you, but you have to realize your wearing a Steeler uniform and how the Rooney's "do-business". Come on...

He's being more of a pain that would he should be, period.

I'd like for him to stay...but for the hassle, future salary cap restrictions, we deal him. Sorry Alan, part of the biz.

Hell, if they want to give up a 2007 R2 + R3 and a 2008 R2, I'll throw Max Starks in to the deal gratis.

That...would be beautiful. And dropping out of that #15 spot for more picks in the process!?!? Ahhh...think of the draft pick possibilities!  

LINUX = FREEDOM
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: