Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 25, 2014 at 10:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kiper knocking Branch  (Read 825 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 25, 2007 at 12:05 »

Peter (Quahog, RI): Which player currently projected in the first round is the most over-rated?
 Mel Kiper: There are a couple that are overrated. Alan Branch, DT, Michigan. Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas.

Todd (FL): How far would Branch slip - could he be skipped in first round completely?

Mel Kiper: No. He's too physically gifted to slide too far. The thing that hurt him in my mind was that he wasn't that productive. Okoye had 55 tackles and Branch only had 25. The production just wasn't there. You're drafting him more on just physical prowess. He could go to 11 or 13 to St. Louis. He could go 23 to KC. He could go 25 to the Jets. He could go to any of those teams.

tim (atlanta, ga): Mr. Kiper the DT from Univ. of Tenn is Justin Harrell is a beast and should be in the top 15 of the draft. I see that you have him 2nd on you DT rankings but got Branch going over him your mock draft that is weird and Branch is not the real deal at all

Mel Kiper: Actually, he's behind Okoye and ahead of Branch. I think he's a heckuva player. If he had been healthy all year - he dominated against Cal. Where would he be right now if he hadn't gotten hurt? He would be a top 15-20 pick. He's in that late first round mix. I could see KC, the Jets, certainly Indy all looking at him.

Jay (SD): What player in the draft do you consider the "riskiest pick"

Mel Kiper: I think the two guys are Alan Branch and Chris Houston. Branch has great upside and he's physically gifted. He's flashed his brilliance. Houston has played exclusively in press bump and run coverage. But he has great speed and strength. There is a question if he can adapt after playing only one coverage. [/i]

BTW...he really likes an OLB/DE tweener type for Pittsburgh in R1.  Didn't he have Revis as his R1 pick to go to Pittsburgh less than a month ago?

tony, college park, MD: what should the Steelers do with their first round pick, go defense?

Mel Kiper: Definitely OLB. That's always been their staple. Their calling card has been their LB play. A guy like Timmons would be ideal for their defense. They might look at an Anthony Spencer.

Man, if what he's spouting off is even remotely true, there's a pretty good chance that he's sitting there at 1.15.  If they pass on him, especially for a guy like Timmons, I'll be hella pissed.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007 at 12:06 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Hercules50

« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 12:27 »

This can only mean one thing: Branch is the next Joe Greene.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2007 at 13:40 »

Even though DT isnt the most glamorous of positions, it sure would go a long way towards suring up the D line for years to come with Branch.  it would truly be a crime to select Timmons with Branch still on the board.

and im convinced that GMs and coaches throw crap towards Mel's way for smokescreen purposes only.  Probably explains why he is so far off on most if not all of his prognostications.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: