Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 03, 2014 at 00:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adrian Peterson Story: Godsend?  (Read 2318 times)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 12:03 »

Really? Just curious -- why do you think Russell will be a bust?

i was meaning more so if drafted by the Browns or any shitty organization for that matter.  And by shitty i mean couldnt draft their way out of the basement for the last 10 years.  also, going along the averages that 1 out of every 2 QBs taken in the first round turn out to be busts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...terbacks/070425

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Hercules50

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 12:16 »

Thanks, Jack.

Yeah, I can buy that reasoning. Russell has just sick physical skills, but there are some franchises at the top of the draft this year (like every year) that are flat-out lost, and he could end up hurt by that.

I think he's good enough that he'll overcome even being a Raider and will be a star. They do have a defense, after all. They could ease him into it.

And he'd give us headaches playing for the Browns -- though on the plus side, I wouldn't rank QB among Cleveland's top 5 needs.

I kind of agree on Quinn being a safer pick, in that, I don't think he'll be awful. But I think he'll be on a David Carr-to-Eli Manning continuum, which is to say, a bottom-third NFL starter or a very good backup (eventually). Or good enough to succeed on a kick-ass team, which he is likely to lack in the early years (and forever if he's a Brown).

Other players I personally think will bust:

Joe Thomas -- I don't buy the book on him that he's balanced. he's a pass blocker but won't be much of an NFL run blocker. Levi Brown will be the better pro, I have a feeling.

Hall -- Reminds me of Chad Scott.  A physical guy, a smart player, with pretty good physical skills. And yet -- can't really cover. Hall got burned in college on several occassions.

Jamaal Anderson -- I'm just not buying the hype based on one year of production.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2007 at 12:17 by Hercules50 » Logged
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 14:25 »

I guess I'm kind of in the minority here.  I think Jamarcus has a higher ceiling than Quinn, but I also think Quinn is the safer pick.  I think Quinn will have a decent-to very good career.
Well, I'm right there with ya.

I also think that Russell has a higher bust factor than Quinn.  It's not that I think Quinn is a better prospect per se, it's just that Quinn appears to be...more driven...is I guess how I would put it.

Russell just seems to be in it for the Benjamins.  People make the comparison between Mirer and Quinn, but I think a more apt analogy is Russell with Akili Smith.  Sick athlete; all the physical tools; cannon for an arm, but his technique and work ethic leave a lot to be desired.  He just strikes me as a guy that isn't willing (isn't going) to do what it takes to take his game to the next level.  He's gotten by on freakish athletic ability to this point and once he signs a deal that guarantees him 8 digits, he's just going to cruise.  From everything I've read, he just seems to have that personality.  As soon as he sees that his athleticism will only get him so far and he actually has to work at the game, he'll eventually fade away.

As down as I was on Vince Young last year, I at least thought that he would have a so-so, Kordell-like career.  IMO, Russell won't even get to that point.

Quinn, OTOH, doesn't have the physical abilities that Russell possesses, but he's no slouch either.  Prototypical size for an NFL QB, but what he does have is crazy good football smarts; he's a hard worker and he's shown the willingness to learn.  In and of itself, that all usually adds up to a decent NFL career.  I think his biggest problem will be learning to deal with the speed of the pro game and handling pressure.  If he can do that, he'll be OK.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Stanton, Beck or even Edwards end up being better than either of these two.  To put it another way, I don't think that the talent gap between Russell/Quinn and Beck/Stanton/Edwards is big enough to justify taking one of the first two in R1 instead of a R2 or R3 pick on one of the latter guys.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 15:53 »

If he goes to the Lions, he might actually have a real nice start, like Vince Young. Same with the Bucs. Hard to believe Gruden would bench Miss Chris Simms, but ya never know.

Don't think he falls beyond that.

Mike and Mike had a quickie mock this morning based on the Raiders taking Calvin Johnson #1.  Had Joe Thomas going to Detroit, Brownies taking Quinn instead (home state + Crennell/Weiss connection), Tampa going defense with #4.  Arizona obviously won't take a QB, so In their scenario Russell falls at least to #6, where the Dolphins might trade up.
I'd flip that.  I think I had in my one-round mock Beardy Quinine being the one to drop; not as far as Ben, and certainly not as far as Aaron "Zits" Rodgers, but maybe on down the top 10.  

But the point is, it's a mixed blessing for either guy to go too early.  Better money, worse situations.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
busboy36

« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 17:25 »

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Stanton, Beck or even Edwards end up being better than either of these two.  To put it another way, I don't think that the talent gap between Russell/Quinn and Beck/Stanton/Edwards is big enough to justify taking one of the first two in R1 instead of a R2 or R3 pick on one of the latter guys.
I totally agree with that.  I think if Stanton is available in the 3rd, we should take him and do what Atlanta did with Matt Schaub.  Plus, Ben has never made it through a full 16 game season healthy.  I think it would be worth the investment.

"I hated putting on that purple uniform, and I hated that raven bird. What really ticked me off is when we played Pittsburgh our whole stadium seemed to be filled with Pittsburgh fans." Tackle Orlando Brown, on playing in Baltimore for Art Modell's Ravens (1999).
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 18:46 »

It's all a huge smokescreen.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: