Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 15:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who the hel, is running this drat  (Read 3218 times)
pittman7q
« on: Apr 28, 2007 at 21:24 »

TE in  3rd am I having an acid flashback?
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007 at 21:37 by pittman7q » Logged
VThrilla18

« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 21:55 »

TE in  3rd am I having an acid flashback?
whats the big deal??? This is the same team - 3 starters that won the SB 2 years ago.
-2 starters froma very good team last year who had bad luck with ball controll, and wasent coached very well. And lets face it, El waent a huge Loss and Holmes will most likely be a better WR, Hartings was far from great last year and was up there in age, and Peezy was shadow of what he used to be.

Its not like were a team with major holes all over the place and this draft could kill us... I actually like the TE pick, because it was said once the new OC was brought in, he would like to run a lot of single back 3 wide 2 TE sets.. in which I think getting this guy makes that transition a lot easier.

Remember this isn't the Bill Cowher years, somethings are going to change, and they are building towards that change... To listen to everyone bitch and whine about this draft, you would think this team is border-line garbage....  Take away a few costly turn overs last year, and it was playoff team...

Also, not wanting to be to much of a dick... but... Coming from a guy who wanted to take Poz at 1.15, you shouldnt be questioning anyone's picks.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007 at 21:59 by VThrilla18 » Logged

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 22:11 »

VT, really seems you should cut him some slack re: the Poz thing.  It's over.

A TE in the 3rd isn't what anyone (who at least spoke on the draft or put out a mock) expected for the Steelers.  One can pull out all of the positives on Spaeth or put up the URL to his highlight video.  But no one would have wanted him in the 3rd if we had been discussing this possibility yesterday.  

It's not an eye-catching draft.  One must assume that Spaeth moves ahead of Tuman on the depth chart or that Tuman is released to see much usefulness out of Spaeth this year.

I think stating that we're 2-3 players away from our SB form in 2005 really understates the situation.  Sure, Hope and ARE are gone.  Smith and Holmes covered their ground last year.  But the leadership is long gone, for a while on offense (Bettis) and now on defense (Porter).  Add a coaching change, and things really aren't so much the same as they were in 2005.  

It's easy now to say it was a few bad breaks here or there and some poor coaching decisions.  Certainly Ben's health can't be overlooked, along with the health of key guys like Polamalu and Ward.  And that's bound to happen.  Though, in our 2005 season, before the playoff run started, I believe we were pretty healthy when compared with other teams within our division.  

Complaints about the draft have little, if anything, to do with the team being garbage.  Rather, they are direct reflections on the draft itself.  Some complaints reflect the player chosen while other complaints reflect when/where the guy was chosen.  

There aren't holes all over the place but certainly, depth is a big issue at a variety of positions.  With 2008 having quite a few contracts ending, you certainly want to prepare for the next younger, cheaper guy to fill some of those slots.  For example, drafting Woodley says to me Haggans won't be back in 2008.  And he shouldn't be, whether they're transitioning to a 43 T2 or staying with the 34.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
VThrilla18

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 22:23 »

VT, really seems you should cut him some slack re: the Poz thing.  It's over.

A TE in the 3rd isn't what anyone (who at least spoke on the draft or put out a mock) expected for the Steelers.  One can pull out all of the positives on Spaeth or put up the URL to his highlight video.  But no one would have wanted him in the 3rd if we had been discussing this possibility yesterday.  

It's not an eye-catching draft.  One must assume that Spaeth moves ahead of Tuman on the depth chart or that Tuman is released to see much usefulness out of Spaeth this year.

I think stating that we're 2-3 players away from our SB form in 2005 really understates the situation.  Sure, Hope and ARE are gone.  Smith and Holmes covered their ground last year.  But the leadership is long gone, for a while on offense (Bettis) and now on defense (Porter).  Add a coaching change, and things really aren't so much the same as they were in 2005.  

It's easy now to say it was a few bad breaks here or there and some poor coaching decisions.  Certainly Ben's health can't be overlooked, along with the health of key guys like Polamalu and Ward.  And that's bound to happen.  Though, in our 2005 season, before the playoff run started, I believe we were pretty healthy when compared with other teams within our division.  

Complaints about the draft have little, if anything, to do with the team being garbage.  Rather, they are direct reflections on the draft itself.  Some complaints reflect the player chosen while other complaints reflect when/where the guy was chosen.  

There aren't holes all over the place but certainly, depth is a big issue at a variety of positions.  With 2008 having quite a few contracts ending, you certainly want to prepare for the next younger, cheaper guy to fill some of those slots.  For example, drafting Woodley says to me Haggans won't be back in 2008.  And he shouldn't be, whether they're transitioning to a 43 T2 or staying with the 34.
I can see you point... but everyone is acting like we missed out on such special talent by the moves we made, I think we addressed some issues that we needed to, by adding depth and players to fit the new systems....

Im also sorry about the POZ thing, but comon now... after i say it isnt a good pick, he comes back and tells me when it turns out to be he is gunna rub it in my face? Sorry SC thats not my style to do "the grown up thing" but because I seemed to ruffle your feathers a lil, ill let it go, I am sorry to have up set you.

I just get a lil upset that A LOT of the people bashing the Timmons pick, as well as the rest of the draft, are a lot of the people who wanted Poz, and there reasoning for not liking the Timmons pick is absurd. "he is to small" "he is to slow" "he isnt our kind of player"  and when you look, he fits our mold better than Poz, he is bigger than Poz (atleast the last time they played a real football game) and he is faster than Poz. I just get a lil upset and overreact to bias.

Also, I agree with you, this isnt the most sexiest draft we have ever had, but its not where near the disaster as its made out to be. We got 2 very athletic pass rushers, who still have room to grow as player, and a very god blocking TE who has good hand as well. Im not sure if people understand that this isnt going to be the same Steelers gameplans that they have seen for the last 12 years...

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 22:33 »

Again, looking around here and elsewhere, it's not who was picked so much as it was when they were picked that's the issue.

I've said my piece re: Timmons.

Spaeth certainly can contribute.  I'm not buying the RZ threat, as we heard that line with Kranchick years ago and Charles Davis last year.  It'd be nice to have his blocking skills, assuming he plays in 2007, ahead of Tuman.  

But he could have been chosen in the 4th or possibly 5th rounds.  And that's my issue.  Not so much with what his bio says or his stats hold.  I don't really know much about the guy other than the positives people have posted here.  

I think we did miss out on some good talent in the 3rd by picking Spaeth.  

Hunt and Waters are gone.  Daymeion Hughes and Ray McDonald.  

I'd throw in Marshal Yanda and Stewart Bradley.  

Pick any one of those guys and go after Spaeth in the 4th (with either pick) or the 5th round.  If he's not there, move forward and pick one of the other slow, big blocking TEs at the bottom of the draft.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 22:49 »

Also, not wanting to be to much of a dick... but...
You're failin' miserably.  I thought we managed to get past that on the other thread.  I had Timmons & Poz rated pretty close.  We took one at 15.  I don't see where the other woulda been much more of a reach.  Regardless, we're not gonna know who, if any, are right for some time.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007 at 22:53 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
VThrilla18

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 22:58 »

Also, not wanting to be to much of a dick... but...
You're failin' miserably.  I thought we managed to get past that on the other thread.  I had Timmons & Poz rated pretty close.  We took one at 15.  I don't see where the other woulda been much more of a reach.  Regardless, we're not gonna know who, if any, are right for some time.
why beacause I said Poz was a bad pick? or because I said who ever was drafting for us would b e a idiot for taking him?

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 00:10 »

why beacause I said Poz was a bad pick? or because I said who ever was drafting for us would b e a idiot for taking him?
None of the above.  You're failin' miserably because, although you say you don't want to, you're sounding exactly like a dick.  The original post was one line, questioning the third round pick.  You decided to make it something that it wasn't.  Then, you decided to throw in:
Also, not wanting to be to much of a dick... but... Coming from a guy who wanted to take Poz at 1.15, you shouldnt be questioning anyone's picks.

VT man, none of us have a clue.  We're all just schmucks with keyboards.  Pimpin' one guy or another doesn't really make a big difference.

[subliminal] Michael Bush [/subliminal]

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 00:18 »

Ok about Spaeth.. I know you might question the whole TE pick but did you know this guy was supposed to be a early-mid 2nd rounder before shoulder sugery?? Hes no Greg Olsen but this guy is a wall...Watching him block is going to be like a 6th lineman..And talkin about him in the red zone.. The guy has succeeded greatly.. You dont win the nations best top TE award for nothing..He has alot of skills...I know your not bitching about this draft cuz were all Steeler fans and want to see them win..He might be not fill one of your "needs" but the Front Office believes he does so I cant question them... I know in the past wit Kranchek n Davis they did nothing.. Give this guy a chance.. He seems like one hell of an upgrade from the fading Tuman..
buccobenny

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 07:15 »

I'm not so much bashing Spaeth the player as much as I am the pick itself. You will never be able to convince me that Spaeth wouldn't have been there for us to take in the 4th.... or maybe even 5th rounds. The way I view the third round is you should get a player, while maybe not a "starter" that will see alot of time on the field and can contribute alot next year. And I just don't see that in Spaeth.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: