Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 19, 2014 at 15:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Day One Recap  (Read 2325 times)
steelers4lyfe333

« on: Apr 28, 2007 at 22:03 »

1. Lawerence Timmons- Though many questioned him.. people saw him as a risky pick..The Front Office knows more than me...so i have to have some trust..Looks like he could really groom into something special over time.. Good special teams player..I dont buy the whole "Derrick Brooks" comparison though..Pure speed rusher

2. LaMarr Woodley- I like this guy..Taking to LB in the 1st 2 rounds looks like were sticking with the 3-4 for awhile...Bigger guy.. Backing up Clark Haggans...I think his power rush skills is better than Timmons though

3. Matt Spaeth- I know what your all thinking...Why the hell get a tight end in the 3rd round??? Drafting him looks like Tuman is on the way out...6'7 270...wow what a monster..Will be a killer in the red zone with Heath.. I actually like this guy alot..Potential early 2nd rounder if he didnt have the shoulder injury...

I know people probably a little mad about that round 3 and want a WR or CB or some O line help...Guess this shows the trust Tomlin has in Ike and crew and the impact of Sean Mahans entrance.. Still would like 1 of each on Day 2..theres still some real good talent out there

Give me some of your opinions of our Day 1 decisions
VThrilla18

« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 22:35 »

1. Lawerence Timmons- Though many questioned him.. people saw him as a risky pick..The Front Office knows more than me...so i have to have some trust..Looks like he could really groom into something special over time.. Good special teams player..I dont buy the whole "Derrick Brooks" comparison though..Pure speed rusher

2. LaMarr Woodley- I like this guy..Taking to LB in the 1st 2 rounds looks like were sticking with the 3-4 for awhile...Bigger guy.. Backing up Clark Haggans...I think his power rush skills is better than Timmons though

3. Matt Spaeth- I know what your all thinking...Why the hell get a tight end in the 3rd round??? Drafting him looks like Tuman is on the way out...6'7 270...wow what a monster..Will be a killer in the red zone with Heath.. I actually like this guy alot..Potential early 2nd rounder if he didnt have the shoulder injury...

I know people probably a little mad about that round 3 and want a WR or CB or some O line help...Guess this shows the trust Tomlin has in Ike and crew and the impact of Sean Mahans entrance.. Still would like 1 of each on Day 2..theres still some real good talent out there

Give me some of your opinions of our Day 1 decisions
I would just like to thank you, for being one of the VERY few people not whining about this draft... I really think its been a solid draft for us so far.... Nothing sexy or jaw dropping, but solid...

and I like the TE pick in round 3... for what you said, he his blocking ability...

steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 00:00 »

Thanks.. I just have trust in our front office.. Thats their job.. I have no right to question them...People have to remember how the Steelers draft.. We dont go out their and pull in huge names and make shit loads of trades to move up.. We draft quietly but quietly smart..I know people dont think we have filled our "needs" but the ones who really know our needs are drafting..Both LB's look like great additions.. And talking about Spaeth.. the dude is like an extra lineman..twin TE sets are going to be punishing people..Spaeth is 6'7 270 man laying blocks on LB's and CB's...watch out...

Hope other people can accpet this draft...I'd hate to see people bash these guys then in the season this year praise them...
skate919

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 00:24 »

I agree with what you're saying.

Here's last year and this year as a reference:

Last year's picks
1. Santonio
2. Anthony Smith
3. Willie Reid

This year
1. Timmons
2. Woodley
3. Spaeth

These three may very well have more of an impact than last year's three. Granted, we're in a much better draft position, and it probably could have been more flashy, but it could have been much, much worse. As it is with every draft we'll just have to wait and see.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 01:16 »

Exactly skate... In my eyes.. Timmons and Woodley provide more potential then Willie Reid and Santonio did last year..Anthony Smith and Matt Spaeth you could compare..Both were seen as guys taken way too early and not much was known of them.. Smith came out with his wow factor and showed he is one of the best defensive athletes we have by far..Spaeth was supposed to be a solid 2nd round pick!! Hes a steal!! Just cuz we dont grab big name guys like Dwayne Jarret, Robert Meachem, or Michael Bush people bash the draft.. Being Steelers fans you have to know how the Steelers work.. They dont get caught up in gaunty numbers like Jarrets.. They take solid guys who fit our program...Were not a flashy team..Were a tough team..We dont take the pretty boys who get the spot light..We take the guy behind the scenes working his ass off..

We dont buy into "rising stock".. We interview our prospects.. run them through drills..and if they are our type of player.. We draft them.. That simple..Im pretty sure the Front Office doesnt go around drafting guys who dont fit our need
sysadmin7

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 02:21 »

We dont buy into "rising stock".. We interview our prospects.. run them through drills..and if they are our type of player.. We draft them.. That simple..Im pretty sure the Front Office doesnt go around drafting guys who dont fit our need

Hhhmmm....rising stock, someone like say...Mr. Timmons!?!? I'm not buying into him at #15, or even in the 2nd round. Sure, he has upside...but where does he fit into our scheme now? OLB? Replacing Haggans/Harrison...or even Woodley for that matter. He's considered a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3 DE. All 3 of these draft selections make no fucking sense to me...at all. I can be a Steelers homer and say these guys are going to be da bomb, but I just can't about Timmons. I like Spaeth, but in the 3rd? Timmons/Spaeth are wasted picks in my eyes. Hopefully, today's picks are better for me...but I just don't like the direction in those 3 draft selections.

It feels almost like...here, take this dart and throw it...ok, Timmons it is. We'll go to a 4-3 sometime...but just in case, lets grab a 3-4 OLB!!! I just don't see it...

LINUX = FREEDOM
VThrilla18

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 02:52 »

Hhhmmm....rising stock, someone like say...Mr. Timmons!?!? I'm not buying into him at #15, or even in the 2nd round. Sure, he has upside...but where does he fit into our scheme now? OLB? Replacing Haggans/Harrison...or even Woodley for that matter. He's considered a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3 DE. All 3 of these draft selections make no fucking sense to me...at all. I can be a Steelers homer and say these guys are going to be da bomb, but I just can't about Timmons. I like Spaeth, but in the 3rd? Timmons/Spaeth are wasted picks in my eyes. Hopefully, today's picks are better for me...but I just don't like the direction in those 3 draft selections.

It feels almost like...here, take this dart and throw it...ok, Timmons it is. We'll go to a 4-3 sometime...but just in case, lets grab a 3-4 OLB!!! I just don't see it...
Whats wrong with Timmons? he is a good blitzer, good coverage guy, attacks the line of scrimmage, is a soild tackler, a good athlete, and STILL has room to grow...

Some people put to much into "Well he played 4-3 OLB"  Sure he did... Also, So did James Farrior. Hell Farrior played some DE in college as well. Larry Foote played OLB and ILB in a 4-3 D at Michigan.  and Correct me if Im wrong but James Harrison was a 4-3 ILB at Kent State.

Timmons has all the tools that he needs to play both ILB and OLB in the 3-4 and 4-3, he is a football player.. not a Scheme player. Sure he will have some transition to OLB in a 3-4 scheme, but no where as large as DE's converted to OLB. He is already well versed in coverage, reading what the offence is doing from the zone and at the line.

Could we have got him later in the draft? Maybe, NYG and NE was high on him as well, so I have no problem snagging him at 15 if he is our guy.

Also, you said Spaeth may have been a reach, before he hurt his shoulder many seen him as a mid to late 2 round pick, and the 2nd best TE in the draft. So to get him in the 3rd round Im happy. I wont lie, it wasent something I expected. But the guy is a beast in pass and run blocking, has soild hands and can work short over the middle part of the field well.

And im not sure if you know but they said Timmons will play ROLB and they are prepping Woodley to play LOLB, where Haggins contract is coming to a end (i think at this years end) and might want a good bit of money, that he might not deserve.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2007 at 03:02 by VThrilla18 » Logged

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 02:57 »

Anyone complaining
is prob a cock-suckin beotch. Prove otherwise.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
SteelSoldier
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 08:02 »

Some Steelers fans can never be pleased.  No matter who is drafted, people would find a reason to bitch and moan, and claim to know more about the draft that Tomlin and Colbert.  Fact is, we had a solid day 1.  In fact, had we traded back up into round 2 to get Kaili, I would consider this nearly perfect.

Lawrence Timmons:  Whoever said he cant fit into the 3-4 as an OLB doesnt know much about football.  Kendrell Bell was only slightly bigger than Timmons and he did pretty well when he wasnt injured.  He is more suited to play WILL in the 4-3 cover 2, but he is still capable of playing OLB.  If he doesnt play OLB, he can play inside in the 3-4 and move outside in the 4-3 if we go hybrid.

LaMarr Woodley:
Compares To: Darryl Tapp, Seattle -- Some might compare him to the Colts' Dwight Freeney or Robert Mathis, but Woodley is not as fast as Freeney and has better tackling form and strength than Mathis
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 08:20 »

Holy fuck but there is a lot of bitching and whining here.  I'm not gonna Pollyana this, but I guess maybe I think we did all right.

Timmons.  He wasn't my first choice, but hey, when the Steelers lock in on a R1 guy (at least in the Colbert era), they don't miss.  They like this guy for a reason.  I can say I don't like his size, conditioning, whatever, but the scouts have slightly better info than any of us.  Sure, we can discuss value, and maybe it'd have been nice to trade down and get more picks.  But not if we end up missing our guy.

Timmons looks more 4-3 OLB, but we'll just see.  If he works out, as someone mentioned, we'll forget all this crying.  And we desperately needed LBs, especially OLBs.  Porter gone today, Hags gone tomorrow.

One last thing.  We're all looking at OLB using the Merriman size as prototype.  But Jimmy Harrison has played the position here, and he's Timmons with a little more bulk.  Now, think Harrison, think what, 9 years younger?, and think much more upside.  Takes a little sting out.  I could give a fuck if other LBs run the 40 0.10 seconds faster or have 5 more KEI points.

Elwood.  Excellent pick.  I figured R2 was more a WR talent cluster, and Woodley would be gone anyway.  Only thing is he needs a little time to transition to OLB.  Well, we have time, with Hags and Harrison here.  'Nuff said. 

Spaeth.  Another excellent pick.  Is it odd that we took a TE R3?  Maybe.  I've seen Spaeth popping up as a R3 value lately, so teams were eying him there, for sure.  And our depth at TE blows.  Tuman?  Eu-freakin-hus?  Well, now we have a legit #2.  Tuman can get cut to save cap.

One of my preseason FA targets was Dan Graham.  Well, we got our blocking end.  The guy can catch some short and intermediate stuff, too, but in all the whining over no OL on day 1, please remember that we just got a 6'7" 262# dude who's gonna chip some nice blocks for Ben.  Ben has to be smiling over that.  Any receptions are icing.

Spaeth might have actually gone much higher if he hadn't played through a shoulder injury.  And several writeups mention he's A++ character. 

Bottom line.  Hard to grade, but we addressed needs, got IMO one of the best DE-->OLB guys out there, got the OLB with the most upside of the top 3... Keep in mind, after Okoye, Timmons is one of the youngest top-rated players in the draft (20, turns 21 next month), so we're getting a very mold-able player... And we upgraded TE, where we had shit for depth, with a guy who is going to help against, well, the Ravens for one.  No more 9 sack fucking fiascos, thanks.  Ben needs a bit less of that.  Grade?  Fuck grades, prove it on the field.  And since everyone's pissing about who we got, and when we got 'em, I'm going the other way.  This feels like one of those drafts the fans hate... until 3 years later.  When these guys produce for us, we'll forget all this draft day hoo-ha.

Day 2 targets.

Lots of great value.  Glad we didn't package up any R4 or R5 picks to move up.  We have 4 in the next 2 rounds, so I think we can add a very good RB, a punter, an OL guy, and either a CB or WR.

Here are just a few guys we could look at, asterisks denote my own special interest, and rounds where I think they present best value.  We've stuck close to the script as far as visits, but I think Rogers and Bliss could be FAs, and don't have them here.  We could also look for some guys at positions I ignore, like QB, but IMO these are the most pressing needs.

OL.  Excellent R4 value. A few guys who could legitimately come in and challenge now at RG, or even take over at LG next year.  Beekman in particular could play LG, RG, or even C.  Guard is the big concern:

*Beekman, R4
Ramirez, R4-5
*Mike Jones, R5
*J. Wilson, R5-R6
Studdard, R6-7
Duckworth, R6-7

Center, there's just tons of guys.  None as highly rated as Kalil or Satele, and we don't need a project.  But IMO, a couple worth looking at might be *Lewis, R5-6 and Stephenson, R6.  With Mahan here, I think we're out of the C market, though.  Tackle is another story:  a RT to push or backup Starks could free Colon to play guard, and a dvelopmental LT might make Essex expendable.  A good group here too, and many more than just these guys:

Otto, R4-5
*Frye, R-6
Free, R5-6
*Bushrod, R5-6
Heyer, R6-7
C. Johnson, R7

RB

So we took Spaeth over Tony Hunt.  Waaah.  There are so many solid COP backs here it's sick.  Great, great value.

*M. Bush, R4 (feeling better about the healing; was a R1 value at one time)
*Pittman, R4 (R2 value, visited)
*Wright, R4-5 (visited)
*Battle, R4-5
*Wynn, R4-5
K. Smith, R5
Banks, R7

WR

With so many WR visits, I'm surprised we didn't take one day 1.  But again, great, great value, and Aundre Allison in particular is a guy I had rated top 64.

*Allison, R4
*McKnight, R5-6
Clowney, R5-6
Stuckey, R%
Myles, R6
Baker, R7

P

Sepulveda's good, but he's not the only guy.  If we could get him, great, if not:

*Sepulveda, R4-R5
*Podlesh, R5-6
Carney, R7
Graessle, R7

CB

With Ike and Rico's ups and downs, wouldn't hurt.  Again, lots of great value here.  Tanard Jackson, Anthony Smith's former teammate, was rated very high by most.

*T. Jackson, R4-5
D. Jackson, R5-6
*Franklin, R4-6 (visited)
*Bennett, R4-5
*R. Smith, R5-6
*Bain, R5
Coe, R6
Arline, R7

DL

DL depth is a huge issue.  The question of scheme arises, so DE and DT are grouped together.  A late rounder would work here.

*McBean, R5
M. Thomas, R5
Soliai, R5-6
A. Johnson, R5-6
X. Jackson, R6-7
Anoia, R6-7
Cohen, R6-7
Applewhite, R6
Jack, R7

ILB

With Waters off the board, we still have (again) some great values at a position lacking depth and with Jimmy Farrior getting long of tooth.  Tons of value:

*Siler, R4-5
*Everett, R4-5
*Blades, R4-5
DeOssie, R5-6
Bishop, R6-7

So there ya go.  Could go against then Colbert day 2 grain, insofar as our day 2 guys before had little chance of making the roster; not so now, with some poor depth at many spots.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: