Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 19, 2014 at 11:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap Steelers Draft 07  (Read 7417 times)
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 09:57 »

I'll agree with the Gay and Baker picks.. but bashing this guys because they dont fit "your needs" is a joke.. The Front Office gets paid to do this shit.. I think they know what they are doing..You seem like one of those guys that will bash these guys now then when they play this year and make plays you'll go around praising them..I dont know how anyone can bash picks by your own team?? Their fuckin Pittsburgh Steelers now..Look in the mirror.. your not Kevin Colbert

God forbid anyone disagree with a pick.  

'Cause everything Colbert has ever touched has turned to gold.  

Every year, same thing.  Those who don't like every pick are heretics.  

The Steelers have, despite popular opinion, missed in the draft.  The Fred Gibsons and Nat Adibis are quickly forgotten.  And that's all well and good, as what's the point of dwelling on it?  But they have occurred and will continue to occur.  It's the nature of the draft.

with all due respect Scac, its hard to argue with the first round draft picks since the beginning of the decade.  i'll give you that the later round guys have been hit or miss, but what team doesnt have that problem.  the fact is, i wont argue with the Timmons pick because the last few picks have been can't miss guys and have played a huge part in the success this team has had recently (Simmons excluded, but one could argue his health is to blame for his decline).

there are some later picks that can definitely be questioned, but i just cant see arguing with the Timmons pick, he was their guy, they didnt get any great offers to move down so they took him and i trust that.  while the pick doesnt really excite me, as i was hoping for Okeye or Revis to fall to us, its a pick that fits a need and the best available at the position for that need.

i like the Woodley pick.  the Spaeth pick may turn out to be good, but it was  way too early to take him.  i dont mind moving up to take a punter, as it was clearly a need and this guy appears to be a freak.  none of the other day 2 guys outside of Baker do anything for me, and i will be surprised if those other guys pan out.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 09:59 by give'emthaboot » Logged

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Hercules50

« Reply #31 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 10:45 »

I kind of like the fact that the Steelers hit the same position in rounds 1 and 2. I think the chances that we landed at least one future pass-rushing star are pretty damn good. And we badly need that.

The Spaeth pick is growing on me -- if he pans out, even if not as a receiver, he can end up being a major upgrade to the O-Line with his size and blocking ability. And based on our recent 3rd-round OL picks (Essex and Starks) I think it may be better we land one of the best TEs in the draft than take another OT project with a weight problem, or injury history, or whatever it is that pushes OLs to the mid-3rd and back.

I remain VERY concerned about the O-Line. For long stretches last year, especially against the best defenses and those with physical fron 7s (Jax, SD, Balty twice) we were NON-COMPETITIVE, period, and a big reason was that our O-Line was manhandled in those games.

And we are going to line up the same five schlubs (with Mahan replacing Hartings, which can hardly be put in the bank as a net gain) we did last year.

But I understand that you can't fix every problem in the draft. I am very confident we have "fixed" the pass rush with this one. And that was a huge need.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 11:45 »

I'll agree with the Gay and Baker picks.. but bashing this guys because they dont fit "your needs" is a joke.. The Front Office gets paid to do this shit.. I think they know what they are doing..You seem like one of those guys that will bash these guys now then when they play this year and make plays you'll go around praising them..I dont know how anyone can bash picks by your own team?? Their fuckin Pittsburgh Steelers now..Look in the mirror.. your not Kevin Colbert

God forbid anyone disagree with a pick.  

'Cause everything Colbert has ever touched has turned to gold.  

Every year, same thing.  Those who don't like every pick are heretics.  

The Steelers have, despite popular opinion, missed in the draft.  The Fred Gibsons and Nat Adibis are quickly forgotten.  And that's all well and good, as what's the point of dwelling on it?  But they have occurred and will continue to occur.  It's the nature of the draft.

with all due respect Scac, its hard to argue with the first round draft picks since the beginning of the decade.  i'll give you that the later round guys have been hit or miss, but what team doesnt have that problem.  the fact is, i wont argue with the Timmons pick because the last few picks have been can't miss guys and have played a huge part in the success this team has had recently (Simmons excluded, but one could argue his health is to blame for his decline).

there are some later picks that can definitely be questioned, but i just cant see arguing with the Timmons pick, he was their guy, they didnt get any great offers to move down so they took him and i trust that.  while the pick doesnt really excite me, as i was hoping for Okeye or Revis to fall to us, its a pick that fits a need and the best available at the position for that need.

i like the Woodley pick.  the Spaeth pick may turn out to be good, but it was  way too early to take him.  i dont mind moving up to take a punter, as it was clearly a need and this guy appears to be a freak.  none of the other day 2 guys outside of Baker do anything for me, and i will be surprised if those other guys pan out.
Seems like your response should be to my opinion in a later post on the specific players we chose in this draft, and not to my diatribe re: why it's okay for opinions to vary.

Read back over the initial response (I quoted part of the post) to WiH's opinion of the draft, that he liked some picks, disliked others.  The text you quoted from me is in response to the post immediately following WiH's and has little-to-nothing to do with my opinions of the individual players taken this year or since the start of the decade.  

Whether it's Day One or Day Two, we miss at times.  We get some right, some wrong.  As you say, every team does.  

What I'll never learn appreciate is the idea that if the Steelers chose the guy, he'll be good because the Steelers know what they're doing.  Or at least you shouldn't question the FO because they know more than we do and/or we aren't in the FO and, therefore, shouldn't have an opinion if it isn't one of affection for the pick.  

Why shouldn't someone, on draft day, say they disliked a certain pick?  

The Steelers have made and will continue to make mistakes in the draft.  Some fans can see the mistake in the making.  Others, not so much.  

Some fans can see the stars before they're drafted.  Some, not so much.  

Some fans try to see the bright side of every pick.  Some fans seem to hate every pick.  Hopefully most can be somewhat realistic, in that some will succeed and some will fail.  That's not at all the case in the initial response to WiH's post.  

When reviewing prospect files/write ups, WO#s, and college careers, certain players stand out while others don't.  It's part of the analysis and, to some, a great deal of the fun in picking out who projects to be a better NFLer than his peers.  

I find the pre- and post-draft analysis to be quite enjoyable.  Sometimes I get 'em right, sometimes I don't.  But I'm not going to assume that because the Steelers picked a guy, that he was the best prospect availalble, fit a need best, is a lock to make the team, etc.    

It's difficult for me to believe that any thinking person would.  But much the same as my draft analysis, I've been wrong before.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 11:46 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 11:55 »

I think the funny thing is that as much as the two picks have been criticized and for as unexpected as they were, the TE and Punter might be the surest things out of the draft class.  I even expect that they'll be competing for the Steeler's ROY.

I think it was unexpected but I absolutely love the pick of the TE.  The guy looks great.  He doesn't look as much like a pass catcher as Heath does but damn he looks like a fine blocker.  With a two TE set, I don't see the Steelers having any trouble getting run over and missing blitzes like they did against Baltimore this year.  Whichever side doesn't get the blitz runs a pattern. It's also going to pay dividends in Parker's runs.  The tackle can seal the line and the TE opens the hole on either side.

All that being said, I hope one of the two LBs step up and dominates for the ROY.

And... unlike many other people, I didn't see a backup RB as a need.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 11:56 by oblongatta » Logged
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #34 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 12:52 »

Same here...I think Najeh was the definite back up and drafting one wouldnt' help..I saw Najeh run pretty good with what he had last year and the screens he worked with was pretty good...I believe he just needs more reps in game to get on a roll.. Some forget.. This guy was a damn good runner in GB behind Ahman Green
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 14:31 »

As I said several times yesterday, I'm not very happy with some of the moves they made.  I'm really focusing on the early picks; say, R4 and earlier because I haven't had as much time to pour over the latter round gems.  And, frankly, if the draft is a crapshoot, it's even moreso late on Day Two.

Anyway, again, with the first four picks, I'm only a fan of two.  Wood and Sepulveda.  Sepulveda will improve STs with his leg and field presence alone; not to mention he'll help Pittsburgh save about 1 million against the cap.  It wouldn't surprise me if Wood starts or at least gets some significant situational playing time at some point this year.

The first and third selections left me scratching my head.  I'm sorry, but I just don't see the need to spend a Day One pick on a TE that is anything short of a major contributor to the passing attack.  By that, I mean a player like Miller or Watson or Dallas Clark or Graham or Heap or Crumpler...I think you get my point.  With this team needing help at O-line, RB and CB, taking a TE who will be #2 on the depth chart at that rarely used spot is cra-zy.  I thought Arians was talkin' about going 3 and 4 wide more?  So, now it's double TE more?  Both?  Neither?  What?  Who?  Personally, I think they should've used the pick on a player that is more likely to make a greater impact in the short term.  Could Spaeth end up being a stud?  Sure.  When are we going to see it?  More importantly, when is he going to be able to show it because I don't see him displacing Miller anytime soon.  I bet I'll be able to count on one hand the amount of Spaeth sightings we'll see this year.  Again, I hope I'm dead fucking wrong here, but I'd be surprised if I am.

Taking that train of thought a step further, if they're so willing to use a mid R3 pick on a backup TE and they had so many prospects that they were high on within reach of a handful of picks in R1, why the fuck didn't they give up the R3 and move up?  Maybe it's because I had Timmons ranked much lower, but when you consider the four players that were taken ahead of Timmons (all of which were ranked much higher, IMO), I would've been much happier if they sent that R1 + R3 to move up and take any of them.  At least if they did that, they would've bolstered two areas of need instead of firing two bullets at the same position and hope that one of them pans out.

I'm finished ranting and raving about it.  I'm on record as not being happy with their moves and I'm going to stick by my opinion.  It doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching them or anything, obviously.  It's just that I'll be less surprised if they struggle with another year of giving up a shitload of sacks; watching our DBs getting burnt; or seeing them scrambling to find a reliable RB if Willie misses any kind of significant playing time, God forbid (*crosses fingers*...*does sign of the cross*).  

In a way, maybe it's good in that it helps me keep my expectations in check.  Because, honestly, when you look at what this team did to improve this offseason and compare it to some of the other teams around the league, I don't see how anyone can expect a marked improvement.  Unless some guys have breakout seasons at a couple of positions and the team, in general, stays healthy, I expect them to be a playoff bubble team again, at best.  New coach; loss of two (Porter, Hartings) key leaders on each side of the ball; another of your leaders on the offensive side looks like he's got one foot out the door; the franchise QB still has to prove that he'll ever be his old self again; one notable FA addition; a so-so draft...

*sigh*

In this league, where every little bit counts, that's an awful lot for this group to overcome, IMO.

Sorry for the cynicism, it's just how I see things right now.  Hopefully, I get more of a "half full" vibe as the season draws near.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 14:33 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #36 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 14:53 »

AJ, if we had drafted an offensive tackle instead of Spaeth would the draft be less disappointing?  Because isn't that really what Spaeth is - i.e. an offensive tackle?

Personally, I was also initially flummoxed by picking a second string TE given how little we already use Miller.  But if you accept the premise that we will use 2 TE sets a lot then Speitz seems like a better pick than a round 3 offensive tackle.  For example, are we better off with Starks and Spaeth blocking for FWP on a right-side running play?  Or are we better off with Starks and Tuman?  or are we better off with a rookie ROT and Tuman?  If Speitz is as advertised, then our OL has just taken a significant step forward because Starks-Speitz is the best of those three options.  Moreover, if we had we drafted an OL in round 3 he probably would have never touched the field in 2007 absent a lot of injuries.

I agree the key to all of this is usage - i.e. that we actually do play 2 TE sets.  But if we do then Spaeth could be an impact player on 1st down, second down, and short yardage situations.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 15:16 »

I'm pretty much in the same boat AJ.  I always tell 'mum that Draft Weekend is like Christmas to me.  This year, I kinda feel like I got mostly socks 'n underwear:

I don't have a major problem with Timmons in the first, but I  think he coulda been had 6-8 spots lower.  Word is that they had an offer to move down, but had their sights set.  If they really had to have him,... whatever.

Fine with Woodley in the 2nd.  Good player at a position of need & all that.  Also had him valued right about where he went.  All in all, a good pick & I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

The wheels started to come off, for me, in the 3rd.  I grumbled two years ago when they took Heath Miller.  Not because I didn't like the player, but because I didn't think they would use him.  They really haven't.  I don't know why things would change now.  I actually like Spaeth.  I picked him in the BSG mock recently,... but I took him 1-1/2 rounds later.  I think a lot of the Steelers' draft cards were filled out prior to even driving to NYC, & they were maybe wearing blinders in regard to value.  Take this Arians quote from the PS site:
Q:
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 15:21 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Captain Chaos
Old School Member

Underachieving Member

« Reply #38 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 15:30 »

I'm pretty much in the same boat AJ. I always tell 'mum that Draft Weekend is like Christmas to me. This year, I kinda feel like I got mostly socks 'n underwear:

Great line! That's exactly how I feel.

Just one man's opinion.

"It's a big game because it's the next game." - Mike Tomlin
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 15:43 »

The wheels started to come off, for me, in the 3rd.  I grumbled two years ago when they took Heath Miller.  Not because I didn't like the player, but because I didn't think they would use him.  They really haven't.  I don't know why things would change now.  I actually like Spaeth.  I picked him in the BSG mock recently,... but I took him 1-1/2 rounds later.  I think a lot of the Steelers' draft cards were filled out prior to even driving to NYC, & they were maybe wearing blinders in regard to value.  Take this Arians quote from the PS site:
Q:

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: