Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 17:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap Steelers Draft 07  (Read 6286 times)
Hercules50

« Reply #40 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 15:49 »

This is not meant, at all, to knock anyone who thinks the Spaeth pick is a bad one. It surprised me as well. But just want to add something to the discussion.

Prior to the draft, there was some talk -- not a great deal but some -- about getting an eventual replacement for Kreider in this draft. Kreider isn't young. Which means he may decline, and it means he isn't as cheap as he used to be.

What about looking at the Spaeth pick in the following way: he is a replacement for Kreider. We're going to a one-back offense, and Spaeth (how the hell do you pronounce that?) is envisioned as the next cementhead to ram into LBs with. And he is probably a better receiving option than Kreider ever was.

If that's the case...does the pick make more sense? I'm asking -- I don't know the answer.
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 15:59 »

Just remember that this is a NEW coaching staff and a NEW offensive coordinator.  Unlike what everyone has been saying, I envision the offense changing much more than the defense.

and AJ, many teams run two TE sets it's not just a jumbo  short yardage package.   You even named a couple.  Indy has been running two TE sets for years.  Lately NE and SD (and others) have been running it as well.  I really think we'll see a lot more of Heath as the third WR and Spaeth in.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 16:03 »

The only way that would make sense to me would be if the plan were to use one of the TE's as an H-Back, a'la Chris Cooley & the Skins.  Spaeth doesn't seem to fit that mold,... Heath much more so (to me anyway).  Spaeth would end up as the in-line blocker.  Would that be an upgrade over Tuman?  I dunno.

If they wanted a full-back, all were available (unless you count Brian Leonard as FB).  They could have taken the "best", Le'Ron McClain.  Fullbacks rarely go before Day-2.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2007 at 16:04 by KeystoneKC » Logged

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
dcity21

« Reply #43 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 16:43 »

and you can't throw to Heath when he has to stay in a block with the line..

FREE HEATH MILLER!!!

and exactly as others have said.. new coach, new offense in a way.. things will change whether y'all like it or not..  

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 16:46 »

Spaeth (how the hell do you pronounce that?)
Spayth.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 16:47 »

AJ, if we had drafted an offensive tackle instead of Spaeth would the draft be less disappointing? Because isn't that really what Spaeth is - i.e. an offensive tackle?

Had we taken Doug Free in Rd. 3, that would have been good for me.  

Seriously, Spaeth should be a good blocking TE.  An OT, he is not.  So far as what I believe others are talking about....the five man OL.  

Spaeth isn't a candidate to replace Max Starks if let go.  Nor is he a candidate to move to LT if Marvel is deemed too expensive.  

Sure, they can draft a tackle next year or figure out whether one of their projects can handle Starks' RT position.  None of the current options give me much hope and/or confidence.  

A guy like Doug Free, who went sometime in Rd. 4 or 5, would have given us a guy who is front a smaller program but a program that has produced some very good running backs over the past 4+ years.  Free isn't as much a project as Essex or Colon (who is too short to play RT well IMO).  

And he is probably a better receiving option than Kreider ever was.

I'm sure he is.  

But there has to be a sizeable shift in philosophy to make the difference noticeable.  Heath Miller isn't seeing the football often enough.  Caught a couple balls less than Ced Wilson and only 3-4 more than Willie Parker.  I doubt Spaeth sees more than Tuman did last year.  

Not at all a knock on Spaeth.  But for him to be effective in the passing game, there has to be a major shift in philosophy and game planning.  

I want to buy into the Arians' talk of using the TE more.  But we've heard it since Miller was drafted.  We heard it before that with Riemersma, though he wasn't healthy enough to blame it all on the coaches.  

Just remember that this is a NEW coaching staff and a NEW offensive coordinator. Unlike what everyone has been saying, I envision the offense changing much more than the defense.

When Whiz became OC, it was assumed that because he had been a TE in the NFL, he'd use the TE more often in the passing game.  Took Miller in the late first round in 2005.  I don't think many would say that Miller has been used consistently and effectively in the passing game.  Certainly not on par with a guy like Todd Heap or Alge Crumpler.  

So I''ll wait to see if changes occur with a new regime.  A new OC didn't change things.  Maybe it was Cowher with his foot on the brake.  We'll see.  

I like Spaeth enough.  His success depends on a paradigm shift in offensive philosophy.  He isn't an OT, or at least not in the true sense of the word and how it might project and protect next year if  Max Starks leaves.  As it stands, we have numerous IOL projects and precious little on the outside.  Cause for concern IMO as we move forward.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
TwistedLemon

« Reply #46 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 16:48 »

The new staff wouldn't be thinking of "opening things up" by lining up with Heath as a WR and Spaeth as the TE would they?

"My reality check bounced"
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 16:55 »

The new staff wouldn't be thinking of "opening things up" by lining up with Heath as a WR and Spaeth as the TE would they?
I am interested to see the formation(s) Arians' is discussing when talking about a 3 TE set.  

Just around the RZ?  

Elsewhere?

Will be interesting.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #48 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 16:59 »

and AJ, many teams run two TE sets it's not just a jumbo  short yardage package.   You even named a couple.  Indy has been running two TE sets for years.  Lately NE and SD (and others) have been running it as well.  I really think we'll see a lot more of Heath as the third WR and Spaeth in.
Arians said as much on Saturday.  He'd like to use Miller in the slot.  This ain't gonna be the same old Stiller offense IMO.  He even mentioned using 3 TE sets.  And nobody thinks a 6'7" TE will be useful in the redzone?  How about on 3rd and 3?

Like somebody said in another thread, the TE and P picks may turn out to be the best.  I can't wait to see Sepulveda kick a 60 yarder that directly bounces out of bounds on 4th and 10 from the 20.  That's tough to beat.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
polishpower
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #49 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 17:27 »

The three reasons I love this draft.  

1.  Staying in a 3-4 and not tinkering with a 4-3 Tampa 2. So many other picks could have indicated 4-3.  Branch, Carriker, Moss.  

2.  The indication of using TEs more.  Less predictability in offense.  

3.  Get guys that achieved.  Award winners and hard workers.  I'd rather miss on a Kris Farris than a some fat kid with a bad attitude some scout sees potential in.  

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: