Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 22, 2014 at 05:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap Steelers Draft 07  (Read 7437 times)
steelers4lyfe333

« on: Apr 29, 2007 at 16:55 »

My favorite weekend of the year is over..Lets take a look what our Steelers got..

1. The controversial Lawrence "Timid" Timmons.. Compared to Derrick Brooks..What I like about him..Not onyl his pass rushing skills but the man can cover... How many times did we  see Porter drop some damn easy picks over the years?!?!

2. LaMarr "Watch the hell out" Woodley...Compared himself to Shawn Merriman..I like his little attitude he has...Could have been a 1st rounder..I think this guy is special.. Loves special teams too

3. Matt "Splat I just pankcaked you" Spaeth.. I know not many people wanted a TE here.. Heard he could be the next coming of Mark Bruener.. Id be happy with that in the 3rd round..Seems like a good guy

4 Daniel "Spell my name wrong ever time" Sepulveda...Booming left footed punter..Not to mention a tank of a man.. Excited to see him blow up some return men down in coverage

5. Ryan "It's Jamanican man" McBean...Raw player.. I like his size..Could beat out easy for the back up job to King Aaron Smith..Hell of a motor

5. Cameron "Samuri" Stephenson.. How could you not love a newer version of the Polamalu hair?!!? Raw linemand..Plays alot of positions...He'll be lucky to grab a roster spot..

6 William "No relation to Rudy" Gay...Compared to a young Deshea..I can live with that..Smart guy who ran 1 bad 40 and stock dropped like hell..ran 4.5-4.6 once.. Then came back and ran like a 4.43..He'll get a real shot to be involved..

7. Dallas " Call me the dough boy" Bakern aka The Touchdown Maker..Finally a big receiver in the Burgh..6'3..Not the fastest..but a playmaker..Im really happy we got him and I want him to give Cedrick or Nate or both the boot. He's my sleeper of our draft.. I think he could maybe the next Marques Colston
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 16:56 »

Post all your replies.. I no opinions are all over the place  
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 17:17 »

At first, when I saw that the Steelers drafted a punter in the 4th, and gave up a 6th to get him .... not much enthusiasm there.

After reading about the guy though, he's the most productive punter in the history of the NCAA.  And he used to play LB.  Yeah, if you're a punt returner playing against the Steelers, you damn well better know where this guy is.  No, he won't score TDs and no, he won't stuff an RB who has first and goal from the one; but, by god, he'll damn well flip the field when you go 3 and out from your own 20.  That counts, big time.  

Never thought I'd post about a punter, but there you go.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 17:36 »

I knew nothing about the punter...when I logged on to see that we drafted in the fourth...TRADED UP?!?!...for a PUNTER ?

I almost had a stroke. Jonzr, you've calmed me down a bit.

I don't have problems with any individual pick..but the overall tone concerns me. Fishing around on punters and TE, when in 2 years, we may have 3 to 5 empty spots on our OL to be filling.

We really didn't address depth on the O-line, or for that matter depth at RB. Maybe next year, eh? I suppose we had too many needs, and we went with the BPA at those needs (exception with Timmons, who is probably a bit more of a reach).

I just pray to God that Willie doesn't get hurt this year. Or we find another UFA who turns out to be Pro Bowl material at the RB position.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 17:46 »

About our O-line for next year...I believe they didnt draft anyone real high because next year when Faneca leaves I think youll see Mahan slide to LG.. resign Simmons to RG..either have Okobi or Phillips at C and the tackles the same.. Is that group of guys soooo bad?? Maybe draft some depth
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 17:48 »

I knew nothing about the punter...when I logged on to see that we drafted in the fourth...TRADED UP?!?!...for a PUNTER ?

I almost had a stroke. Jonzr, you've calmed me down a bit.

Yeah, I almost shat my pants.  

Dude, you gotta go to the official site and read the player/coach interviews.  After that, your moral for this draft will be so high that you'll wonder what the hell all those other 31 teams were thinking.

I really like the kid (DE) from Okie State.

The TE intrigues me.  Did you see Arians comments?

How fast is he?

Fast enough.

Is he more of a wide receiver than tight end?

No, he is pure tight end. He is very similar to Heath. He can stretch the field.
... He is like Heath, where he can handle those big defensive ends, he can block those outside linebackers and he can also get done the middle. He is a good athlete and can play on all special teams.

Is he 6'8"?

Yeah, 6'7".

Here's my favorite:

Would you compare him to Matt Kranchick at all?

I hope not. I hope he makes our team. He is that type of athlete. He is that type of athlete with a much better blocking background.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2007 at 17:49 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
schnoah

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 18:20 »

ok, here is my thoughts...

1. I really didnt know what to think of Timmons, honestly i really didnt want him to be the Steelers pick. I have since watched every video, tape, article, interview that i could find on the kid, and the more that i watch him i really believe that he is going to be one hell of a ball player. He will add some size being now at an NFL weight program, and he will really be able to more than hold his own.

2. I LOVE THIS PICK!!! Woodley is going to be a monster, he has a motor that NEVER quits. I am a huge Michigan fan, but even from an outside view he just makes plays, he is built like a freight train, and i think the value at this pick is unbelieveable.

3. Not at all what i was expecting. But this also gives us 2 TE's that were given the John Mackey Award. He is 6'7 1/8" and 270lbs. He is going to give us basically another tackle on the end of the line. But you dont have to wait 3 years for him to develope like you would a tackle. Oh, did i mention that he also has a 34" verticle? so you name me one corner on a consitant basis that is going to be able to out jump him in the redzone? So basically i think this is a VERY solid pick in the 3rd round.

4.1 Now the pick that i wanted more than any in this entire draft, and i was praying that it would actually happen, haha. Daniel Sepulveda... This kid walked on to Baylor as a LB and made the transition to a punter. So now we have a kid who can turn field position around in a heartbeat, and then also fly down the field and make the tackle. It's great cause now your actually playing 11 on 10 not 10 on 10 usually how punts are (minus kicker and returner). He has a great leg, who can really lay the ball inside the 20 and then boot it 70+ on occasion. Ok, for all who are curious, you have to check out this video!

http://www.baylortv.com/streaming/000641/300kbps_ref.mov

4.2 Ryan McBean, i am not really sure who or what he will actually be. What i do know is he has a motor that again never quits. He is a blue collared hard worker, and he has the skill set and size to really be a key contibutor on our Dline and DE. He will be able to add some muscle to his frame and could be an everydown player in time. So we will wait and see how he will actually pan out. But for those who are thinking we said the same about Harris last year, this kid  IS NOT Harris, he works harder, plays harder, and NO charicter issues with him.

5.1 Cameron Stephenson well he has a really big body for a guard, and he played both on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. He really lacks the first step quickness, but he is very strong upperbody, and seems to anker well on the bull rush. He is really going to be a long shot to make the team, and i really think that this particular pick could have been used elsewhere.

5.2 William Gay, i really think this could be a sleeper pick in the draft. He ran a very poor 4.6 40yd dash early on in the offseason. He is a bit undersized at only 5'10 but he is a very football savy player. He has the mind set for the game and he had great insitincts. Now when you read the 4.6 time you have to realize that his more average time is 4.49 he is not the sub 4.4 40 time, but fast enough that he could make a great nickle guy and zone coverage as he learns his spot in the NFL. He also will hit you in the mouth, but at the same point if the ball is in his hands, he WILL catch it. No more of this dropped easy picks!

7. Dallas Baker... ok, this kid is a big play machine. By this i dont say that he is going to take it 80 to the house on any given play. But he will make that key 4th and 10 catch, or the ball is thrown his way on the last play of the game he will come down with it. He has a really great nack at making the very much needed play. He is 6'3" 203 and runs about a 4.55... so he is a prototypical big reciever, something that the Steelers desperately needed. They did not expect to see him still on the board with 7th round pick after trading the 6th for Sepulveda. All of this said, he will need a good camp to make the team, but he very well should be able to and make cutting C. Wilson a lot easier. (Baker if he does make the team, will give us a very good redzone passing offense... 6'3 Baker 36" vertical, Spaeth 6'7 34" vertical, Miller 6'5, then you also have speedy Holmes)

So basically in looking back we didnt have the "BIG TIME" type draft with names, but i really think that Tomlin had himself a VERY VERY SOLID first draft. We got players that are going to be able to step in and fill a few needs, allow us to cut Gardocki (helping out the cap) Our Special Teams really got a boost now that we have players to plug in and really play hard. But really only time will be able to tell how this will actually play out. For me, i follow the draft very heavily as for this is what i am studying to do when finished with school... so take it for what its worth, but this is my personal opinions. I hope that most of you do agree.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2007 at 18:22 by schnoah » Logged

Here We Go Steelers!!!!  
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 18:22 »

Would you compare him to Matt Kranchick at all?

I hope not...
BWAHAHA!  classic.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 18:41 »

schnoah... I like how you think..Not many guys agree with all the picks like we do...Spaeth looks like a guy you have to respect..With that size and those blocking skills.. He still has the ability to move and catch the ball with ease..He's not Heath's replacment..He's Heath's tandem...Gotta agree with you about Baker...He wont give you the instant Steve Smith 80 catch and run.. He looks like a poor mans Keyshawn maybe.. I no comparing a 1st overall and a 7th rounder isnt fair.. But their playmaker ability and jump ball skills are similar..Maybe he'll be a more level headed Plex with with hands of gold not that Plex-i-glass hands
ecbenito
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 18:43 »

All I need to know about Spaeth was what he did to Penn State last season.  He absolutely gave poz and dan connor fits in that game, neither of them could cover the guy.  He was the entire minnesota offense last season and is just a fucking beast.

A punter that used to be a linebacker?? Fuckin' A

"We stand because there is a reason to stand. We have always striven to provide an atmosphere that was PG-13 and family oriented. You can post here and your kid can post here. In an effort to run a clean site, things have limits. " -big stupid cumbucket jimbo

Pages: [1] 2 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: