Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 06:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap Steelers Draft 07  (Read 7620 times)
steelerball86
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 18:49 »

If you don't like Sepulveda, go watch his Yahoo video.  Just after 2:30 you will fall in love with him.  
Winters in Holland

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 18:49 »

I'm pretty disappointed with the draft.

1st Timmons
I'm not going to fault this pick too much. I would've gone a different direction (maybe Branch from Michigan), but there were so many LBs picked early on, that if we didn't take this guy, someone else would've soon. The only reason people compare Posluzney (sp) to Hamm and Zach Thomas is b/c they're all white. Honestly. I think Poz would've been a reach in the 1st, as I think he was pretty mediocre his senior season at PSU.

2nd Woodley
He's a 'name' guy, whom the Steelers usually don't draft a lot of, but my biggest problem here is that he's a tweener. It worked for guys like Porter; it failed miserably for guys like Alonzo Jackson. Yet every year, just like the Pirates draft hitters and try to make them pitchers, the Steelers draft DE/LB-types that often end up not being good at either. Woodley's Michigan teammate who was drafted with the next pick seemed like more of a pure LB.

3rd Spaeth
Fuck this pick. I probably like Jerame Tuman more than most people, but even if you don't like him as a backup, you'd agree that TE was not even in the Steelers' top 5 needs. What made this one even worse is that RB Tony Hunt and that RB from Louisville were both still available at this pick. I would be fine with this guy in the 5th or 6th, but the 3rd is a huge overdraft.

4th Sepulveda
We basically burned 2 picks on a punter, which I consider an atrocity. I don't care how good he was in college; in the NFL, the difference between the best punter and worst punter is only about 6-7 yards per punt. On top of that, we have Andy Lee in camp every year, who routinely outperforms Gardocki, and on top of all that, there's 100's of UFA punters floating around, since only 32 have jobs every year. All the talk about him blowing up players on punt coverage is rubbish; if this guy becomes our punter, they'd worry too much about getting him injured. He's going to stay safe like every other punter; he just may look better doing it. Overall horrible waste of 2 picks. Good teams should NEVER draft a punter; it's like drafting an RP in one of the first 4 rounds of the MLB draft.

4th McBean
Don't know a lot about this guy. I don't think he makes the team. Size seems to be a concern.

5th Stephenson
At least they FINALLY used a pick to address an actual need. Still, when you start picking in this area, the chances of a player filling that need are a lot less. If Stephenson makes the team this year, it'll be because of the lack of overall O-line depth, rather than his ability.

6th Gay
I liked this pick. I know he's undersized, but when I watched him play, he looked very natually athletic to me, with the potential to be a big playmaker. I'm much happier with using a 6th rounder to get Gay (hehe) than using a 1st rounder to get Revis, since I consider the secondary one of the few places on the team where we're young and have depth.

7th Baker
My favorite pick in the draft. I could see a team taking this guy in the 3rd-4th round, and not having teams think it was an overdraft in the slightest. To be able to get a big name player from a big name school with big play potential in the last round of the draft? Great finish.

Summary
Great picks: Baker
Good picks: Gay
Decent picks: Timmons, Stephenson
Meh picks: Woodley, McBean
Awful picks: Meath, Sepulveda

Biggest concerns
1. Total failure to address lack of depth at RB. Once again, we're going to ask Parker to carry the weight of the team, with only mediocre help from Davenport. There were great possibilities in Hunt and that guy from Louisville.

2. Near failure to address the offensive line. O-line and RB are positions where guys need a year or two of experience to become competent contributors in the NFL. We can't wait until guys are wavied/retire/have contracts expire to draft guys here and put them right into action.

.WiH.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2007 at 18:51 by Winters in Holland » Logged

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 19:27 »

Ok if your going to sit here and tear apart the draft atleast get ur shit straight....

1. Branch is no where near the talent of Timmons..The dude gets lost in the middle..Where are you going to play him with Casey there?? Branch is not even as good as Hoke in my eyes..

2. Woodley is a guy who seems unstoppable.. David Harris is not even comparable to him..Harris played MLB and had lil to no pass rush..12 sacks by a guy in one year sounds like he suck?? Are you serious??? Alonzo Jackson isnt even 1/8th of this guy..

3. Does it occur to you that maybe RB isnt a need?? WE have Willie and we signed Najeh to a pretty decent deal..Give Ben another threat..

4. Sepulveda.. Ok this guy is a great talent.. You talked about us "having" Andy Lee the past few years?? If your going to bash people at least get it right.. We never had Andy Lee.. We had Mike Barr...And the whole talk about this guy smashing people on punt coverage are all jokes because he played LB b4..

5. McBeans body being a concern?? Are you high?? He's 6-4 and 285 with alot of room to grow.. Hell end up being bigger than Keisel for sure.

6. I dont know why everyone gets all caught up with the O-line problems.. Even if we loss Faneca... sign Simmons and maybe even Starks and the next year go with Marvel..Mahan..Okobi/Phillips...Simmons..Starks/Colon

I'll agree with the Gay and Baker picks.. but bashing this guys because they dont fit "your needs" is a joke.. The Front Office gets paid to do this shit.. I think they know what they are doing..You seem like one of those guys that will bash these guys now then when they play this year and make plays you'll go around praising them..I dont know how anyone can bash picks by your own team?? Their fuckin Pittsburgh Steelers now..Look in the mirror.. your not Kevin Colbert
schnoah

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 19:32 »

Winter....

ok, Timmons is a pick that we just kinda took a BOOM or BUST pick with him. Wimbley kinda influenced this pick.

Woodley, just a big name? ok, the guy was a STUD at LB, great instincts, very good strength, flies to the ball, turnover machine. really great value at 2

Spaeth, i am telling you is going to be amazing for this team, just wait and see... you can write it down, and come see me in 3 years.

Sepulveda... you are wrong my friend, good teams do take punters. Punters are game changers, name the last time that the Steelers had a punter that could turn a 3 and out from the 20 to a first and ten for the other team from their 20? this kid can do that.... plus he helps out the Salary Cap for years to come, and you cant tell a player to tone it down, not Tomlins style, they will let him go all out

(side note... its Mike Barr in camp every year, Andy Lee was the RFA punter we signed from SF that was matched by the Niners)

McBean, project... but i really think he will make the team

Stephenson yea he gets the pick, but he will be a practice squad guy as he grows and learns the position

Gay really can grow into a special player, and i think that he will, he can be a special teamer and nickel back as he learns and will take Coke's spot next season.

Baker, i totally agree with you, this is going to be a great pick for us. Size and hands, speed we have at WR this is something we needed on the outside.

2nd day picks this year look like we really have the chance to get some solid football players. 1st round looks like we got really safe picks that will contribute earlier than later

Here We Go Steelers!!!!  
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 20:49 »

2nd day picks this year look like we really have the chance to get some solid football players. 1st round looks like we got really safe picks that will contribute earlier than later
100% agreeance.  This is the first time in a long time that I believe multiple 2nd day picks should be expected to make the team.

The day one picks?  I'm on board.  They're Pittsburgh Steelers now and I love them all.

Beer me.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 20:50 »

I'll agree with the Gay and Baker picks.. but bashing this guys because they dont fit "your needs" is a joke.. The Front Office gets paid to do this shit.. I think they know what they are doing..You seem like one of those guys that will bash these guys now then when they play this year and make plays you'll go around praising them..I dont know how anyone can bash picks by your own team?? Their fuckin Pittsburgh Steelers now..Look in the mirror.. your not Kevin Colbert

God forbid anyone disagree with a pick.  

'Cause everything Colbert has ever touched has turned to gold.  

Every year, same thing.  Those who don't like every pick are heretics.  

The Steelers have, despite popular opinion, missed in the draft.  The Fred Gibsons and Nat Adibis are quickly forgotten.  And that's all well and good, as what's the point of dwelling on it?  But they have occurred and will continue to occur.  It's the nature of the draft.

If Branch had been chosen instead of Timmons, some would say Timmons is nowhere near the talent of Branch.  Your perspective seems based solely on who the Steelers choose or don't choose.  Because the FO knows what it's doing.  And that's fine.  But that's not for everyone.  

What about those fans who talked prospects up on draft and quickly forget any busts or players who don't meet expectations and shrug it off to "it happens?"  

There is a very high probability that not everyone drafted today will make the team.  Even in a great draft, from the perspective of hindsight, like 2002, not everyone made it.  Will you fess up to those failures not being what you thought they would?  

I really don't see how praising a guy next year who you thought wouldn't make it on draft day being any different than praising a guy on draft day who doesn't make it next year.  Sure, maybe you like to put a positive spin on everything.  I don't begrudge those who do.  But others like the analysis of the draft, which doesn't spin everything into sunshine.  

The Branch v. Timmons, the Woodley v. Harris....the Steelers weren't the only teams to get good prospects.  The teams that picked up Branch and Harris got good prospects.  Some feel they were better than the prospects we got, some feel ours were better than the guys headed to other teams.  

It's a message board for thoughtful discussion and analysis.  If your choice is to like all the picks because they are now Steelers, fine.  But why make it personal if others don't agree with your point of view?

You said you wanted opinions.  If you wanted everyone to just agree with what you think, you should have said such.  
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2007 at 20:54 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
RiddleyWalker, TexasHobo
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 20:57 »

question: can spelveda kick off?
steelerball86

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 21:09 »

question: can spelveda kick off?
His response was interesting when asked that:

Did [the Steelers] mention anything about kicking off?

You know what? Jeff Reed does such a great job of that up in Pittsburgh. I'm sure he can show me a thing or two about that and it's something that I might be able to bring to the table later in my career. If that happens to be the case, if that opportunity presents itself, I'd like to make myself ready. But, that's obviously not a need at Pittsburgh right now. So it looks like I'll get the opportunity to learn from somebody who knows what they're doing.

Apparently he didn't watch the shaved one kick off too much....
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 21:12 »

Timmons...don't think it's a great pick for the 34, so far as ROLB, but do think he'll fit very well as a 43 WLB.  I'm not sold, as others are, on his pass rush for the 34.  But I do think his pass coverage skills matchup to those of Porter's, who was one of the best coverage 34 OLBs.  Seems that TImmons best fit is inside a 34.  

Woodley....this pick made me feel much better about the Timmons' pick before.  As said, I don't feel comfortable with Timmons in a pass rush role.  On pass rush downs last year, with a four man front, Porter and Haggans were on either side of Smith and Keisel as pass rush ends.  Woodley can step into this role immediately.  I think Woodley makes the best OLB prospect too.  

Spaeth...to echo what almost all have said, didn't see this pick coming.  Knew he'd had a visit here and had seen that he had visited with the Giants.  I'm not sold on the RZ threat, but watching the video, his blocking is good.  I'd assume he's better than Miller (who doesn't have it down yet) and possibly Tuman.  Sounds like the Steelers will keep Miller, Tuman and Spaeth, so the idea of a cap savings with this pick won't happen this year.  Sort of like last year's Willie Reid pick...just didn't see it coming.  

Sepulveda....really like this pick.  Don't mind spending a fourth rounder on this guy 'cause he'll stick (thinking back to mid rounders such as Gibson and Adibi).  The tackle clip that's been circulating various Steelers' message boards is nice, but his full time job are the punts.  And he looked impressive.  And that was despite some crappy long snaps (if you watch the video at Yahoo!).  This move provides some cap savings and better distance and directional punting.

McBean...I think there is good reason to believe this guy is a long shot for the team.  I believe we carried 6 DL last year...Hampton, Smith, Keisel, Bailey, Kirschke, and Hoke.  He'll be fighting for Bailey's spot with Eason and Nua, amongst another UDFA or two.  His initial saving grace will be STs.  If he can't play that, it's tough to see him making the final 53.  Too many OL as it currently stands to be able to carry 7 DL.  

Stephenson...don't know anything about him other than what was posted here at bsg.com.  Finny, dday and Hannibal all think well of him and I rely on those three for prospect info.  He'll find it tough to make the 53, as he played DT for some of his tenure at Rutgers.  Said to be very strong.  Hard worker.  Inexperienced.  Sounds like practice squad guy.  Could supplant a dumb Kemoeatu.  

Gay...don't know much about this guy, other than what was said here and at nfldraftcountdown.com .  Said to be a Cover 2 guy.  Plays STs which will keep him around.  Wouldn't surprise me if he takes Coke's spot.  Coke doesn't play STs other than as a returner.  If Reid is healthy, that's another X against Coke.  

Baker...read some pre-draft thoughts from other members re: Baker.  I dunno, his profile sounds a lot like that of Fred Gibson.  Not good that he's not willing to go over the middle.  Suspect hands.  Don't care about his speed.  Hope he makes it since so many others like him but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up on a Walter Young track.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 21:17 »

Apparently he didn't watch the shaved one kick off too much....
They're my first pick for the upcoming Jonzr Kicker and Punter Tag Team Cage Death Match PPV.  You know you wanna see it.

No doubt.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: