Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 07:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap Steelers Draft 07  (Read 7176 times)
gahran
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 21:30 »

why are we hung up about not drafting OL?

cause the OL wasn't good enough last year. We don't need depth. We need upgrades.  

"Who has two thumbs and likes to **** your mother? DIS GUY!"
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 22:25 »

well what position on the O-line do you see an upgrade needed?? I believe the next Tackle in line.. prob to replace Marvel is Colon and i believe if Faneca leaves next year slide Mahan to LG.. Simmons at RG...Okobi will prob beat out Phillips this year.. and resign Starks at RT.. Is that a bad 5 man line?
dragudown
« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 23:20 »

The OL got pushed all over the field last year so I'd say it was a problem.  

I like the draft minus the punter.  I just don't like drafting ST players.  Just my feeling.  This kid looks good.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 23:57 »

Yes the line got pushed around a little bit.. But this is the  same line from the Super bowl run..so I dont see a spot where a pure upgrade can occur..Maybe a stand out center.. but we dont fully know Okobis potential yet.. Marvel is fading but Colon will take that over...Next year sign Starks and Simmons.. I think were fine with what we have.. We'll see this year
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 01:31 »

cause the OL wasn't good enough last year. We don't need depth. We need upgrades.

Absolutely right. As far as me, being so damn hung, it cracks me up to hear folks freak out for a lineman. We'll see.

Go Steelers.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #25 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 01:59 »

Thanks Y2J..Ya I just dont see a position of pure need..and I guess by this draft the organization has trust in their starting 5 also
Hercules50

« Reply #26 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 07:52 »

Not sure what is meant by this comment.

I agree if the point is: we need to add a starter-quality lineman, i.e., a first-round type talent. We don't need to add any more projects, as we are chock full of those types.

I disagree if the point is: we are fine at the O-Line. Watch those two Ravens games again if you think so. Watch the San Diego game. The O-Line stunk. It was in decline even in 2005. We have the same group, essentially.

I am very, very worried about the O-Line heading into 2007.  
jcharding

« Reply #27 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 08:22 »

Yes the line got pushed around a little bit.. But this is the  same line from the Super bowl run..so I dont see a spot where a pure upgrade can occur..Maybe a stand out center.. but we dont fully know Okobis potential yet.. Marvel is fading but Colon will take that over...Next year sign Starks and Simmons.. I think were fine with what we have.. We'll see this year
Its not the same line from the SB.  Hartings is gone, Faneca is upset and Marvel is 1.5 years older and seemingly fading.  The right side took a big step back last year.  The Steeler OL is substandard at every position other than LG.

The only reason not to take an OL in this draft is because you think that at least 2 of Kemo, Essex, Colon and Starks will take big steps forward this year.  I have no problem with developing these kids - and I think Speitz will assist in this development  - but if the Steelers are wrong and the young OL do not develop than they won't have someone behind them.  They will be forced to draft OL next year regardless of whether it is actually value or they will be forced to chase free agents (and potentially overpay).  

Either overpaying or draft reaching is a bad way to build a team.

All that said I generally like this draft.  I like the Timmons pick and Woodley, and see them as a clear indication that the 4-3 will arrive in 2008.  I was initially very confused about Speitz, but after reading about him don't have a problem with the pick.  I like the Okie and think he also has a good chance to make the team because of the impending 4-3 switch.  I think Gay could have been signed as a FA - possibly the Rutgers guard as well.  The two 5th round picks I liked the least.  I think Baker from Florida has better than a 50-50 chance to make the team.

I really really like the punter pick.  Think of it this way - he will hopefully improve the net from each punt by about 5 yards a punt.  Assuming we punt around 6 times a game thats a 30 yard improvement for the game.  That's huge.  

I don't need no stinking avatar!
gahran

« Reply #28 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 09:07 »

jcharding speaks well enough for me. about the o-line at least.

"Who has two thumbs and likes to **** your mother? DIS GUY!"
TwistedLemon

« Reply #29 on: Apr 30, 2007 at 09:41 »

Chiming in way late, but this is first access to a computer.

1.  Timmons:  Love it.  Not sure which LB spot he will fit into, but I can not think of a PURE LB (Zo was not) from FSU that was a bust.  Limited experience for sure, but I do see him as the best OLB of the draft.

2.  Woodley:  Love it.  Perhaps better as a rush backer than Timmons.  Do not know for sure if he is being looked at as a DE or LB, but most likely LB.  Perhaps one is Porters replacement, the other is prepping to replace Haggans.  Good value here in R2.

3.  Spaeth:  OK with it.  As everyone else has said, a bit surprised by the pick.  Think a bigger need could have been met with same or better value.  Not horrible.

4.  Sepulveda:  Perfectly fine with a Punter here

5.   McBean:  Project.  Has the potential to compete for a backup role.  Ok with the pick for this position in the draft.

6.  Stephenson:  Pure project.  Dont think he makes the cut.

7.  Gay:  Know nothing about this guy.  I will assume that the FO believes he is the best DB available at the spot.  What happened with D. Jackson of Iowa St?  Was he chosen or were many here, including myself, way to high on him?

8.  Baker:  Good pick for the spot.

Overall I am fine with the draft.  I picked NONE of the names in my mock, but my thinking was close (very little on the O side of the ball, focus on D)  See If my theory is correct in thinking next season ends up being more on the O side of things.

What I really liked was the interviews with Tomlin.  On day one when he spoke, something about him immediately said Leader, Intelligent, In Charge.  I am feeling even better about having hired out next 10+ season coach.  

Good First Draft for him.  Timmons and Woodley will demonstrate so.

"My reality check bounced"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: