Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 20, 2014 at 17:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap Steelers Draft 07  (Read 7428 times)
scacs

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2007 at 00:56 »

overall,

I liked our draft.  It was in many ways clever.  The focus has been on our two linebackers, and while they are obviously very different types of players, I like the programs they came from, their respective reputations from coming from those programs.

what i think gets lost in the shuffle is the fact that we still have all the components of a championship team.  

qb- decent young qb with reliable backup
rb- decent young rb with reliable depth (should verron haynes return... otherwise, guys like john kuhn, free agents, come into the picture.)
wr- very good depth... with chances of some younger, unproven players (willie reid, nate washington, newbie drafted in 7th round types uprooting 1 or all of hines ward, santonio holmes, cedrik wilson)
o-line-  we could really use more depth, however, mahan can play g/c, so can simmons, and tackle depth is okay (for this year).  the wildcard is faneca.  we shoulda dealt him at the draft.
te- with defenses now catering to stop the outside downfield threats, teams are not doing enough to face the threat of the tight end.  they dont go as deep, but when two are on the field, especially with basically interchangeable parts, it'll open up the possibilities, which automatically will decrease some pressure on the offense.

cb- believe it or not i think we're pretty deep.  mcfadden and taylor (taylor knows he has something to prove this year).  townsend, colclough (again, knows he has something to prove.)  guys like anthony smith and ryan smith also know time at corner.  barring an injury, we'll be ok.  a couple of injuries here will decimate.
fs- we're fine.  we know it.
ss- we're fine.  we know it.
linebacker, inside and outside-  although now slightly inexperienced, esp. outside, we're fine, and we know it.
d-line- we're great, and we know it.

our defense is the strong-suit.  
hopefully our running game will be just as much this year, although it'll possibly turn into more of a passing game.  let's just say that too much of a good thing is not good, and 50% run/ pass will be good enough for me (in deciding situations, games 10pts up in the 4th quarter... lets run the ball...).

needless to say i'm optimistic about our team. we may not have the best offense on paper, or the best defense on paper, but you know what... that's never stopped us before.  let's start winning some for the other hand.  first to 6!  :towel:

"nobody in football should be called a genius.  a genius is a guy like norman einstein."  -  joe theismann
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: