Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 24, 2014 at 14:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russell vs Davis vs Barlow vs Haynes  (Read 2814 times)
dcity21

« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 00:03 »

Russell will NOT make it to the practice sqad here.. it won't even take a team waiting for an injury.. teams will scarf hiim up ASAP.. I think trying to get him to the practice squad would be a huge mistake..

ps. Gaither looks like he's gonna be well worth a 5th.. but it's ok, we have lots of lineman..

NOW THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!! oh well..  

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 07:18 »

I agree with the idea that Dookie isn't one of our best 5.  IMO, he sticks, but only as a transition guy, because he can do a lot of things (how well is another story).  Right now, I'd be tempted to keep Haynes over Dookie, and add Davis and Russell.  I just don't think it's gonna shake that way, since Dookie can do more on STs.  That might be the difference.

I disagree that Davis had "one good run."  He had several good runs, and ran well after catching a screener.  Like Willie Reid, he's a guy who's been asked to do a lot, and ahs done everything well.  To wit: two CRUNCHY KO coverage tackles; the best mano-a-mano power running of any HB on the team; receiver; in-line blocker and FB.  Now, Russell has good power as well and much better shiftiness, but if I'm looking for a guy to run one in from the 1 yard line, it's Davis.

LT is officially a mess.  I agree we should have looked at Gaither.  Right now, I don't see why we're not giving Capizzi more playing time.  Desperate?  You bet.  

If we put Russell on waivers, I'll be very PO'd.  Big mistake.  IMO, the four locks should be FWP, DK, CD, GR; Barlow is gone; the five spot is Dook or Haynes.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:10 »

Yeah, I concur...at least, that's how I see it.  Now, the FO and coaching staff, that might be another.

I would've said Dookie earlier in the preseason as the #5, but, I think from seeing just a bit of Haynes that he has recovered. So, part of me is rooting for him a bit. He's been a steady hand at the wheel, just isn't quite good enough to be a starter in this league. Still, dude can block and runs well in spots. I hope he sticks.

I love this Davis guy. I like the mentality he is playing with on ST's...

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:14 »

LT is officially a mess.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:15 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Hercules50

« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:47 »

But a key question is: can Davis or Russell pass block?

I think is a major reason why either Davenport or Haynes will stick. They're both pretty good at that.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:51 »

But a key question is: can Davis or Russell pass block?

I think is a major reason why either Davenport or Haynes will stick. They're both pretty good at that.
Davis can.  Russell needs to show more.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
padgfrombf

« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:59 »

It's hard to tell whether Haynes has really lost anything to that knee injury.  He was never a speed merchant to start with.

Maybe if you do look to the future a bit, Davenport could be sent packing.  My only problem with that for 2007 is that he does fill some holes:

1.  If Russell isn't the real deal against starters, a fumbler, etc. (so far, so good to date), then Dookie is still the only legitimate backup for a FWP injury.  If Russell becomes that backup guy, though, it does change the RB equation.

2.  I'd rather have Dookie than Ike Taylor as backup KR, Ike has enough to do already.  Najeh's not explosive, but also doesn't fumble anywhere near as much as a Colclough.  However, if Reid displaces Holmes as #1 PR and also finds his way to be the starting KR, then Holmes/Taylor become the backups here and Davenport isn't nearly as valuable.

3.  Last year, Davenport was the only other back outside of Haynes with a clue about blocking and releasing in pass pro.  Carey Davis looks to add to this list of skill sets for the PS.

As of today, Davenport makes the 53.  If Russell, Davis, and Reid continue their upward development track, Najeh's value does gradually sink to at least #5 RB.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 14:02 by padgfrombf » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: