Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 00:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And the starting line is...  (Read 1651 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« on: Aug 20, 2007 at 23:52 »

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07233/810972-66.stm

Marvel, Faneca, Mahan, Simmons, Colon.

That was what I was hoping for.  

The Steelers need to do something soon for depth issues this year and next. We'll see if anything happens before the 9th.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:45 »

Cool.  Good to see they're not afraid to change things up by going with Willie over Max.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:47 »

Well, ain't set in stone, but I have no prob with Colon over Starks.  

If I were the coach, Capizzi would play LT for all but maybe the first and second drives against the Iggs.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:15 »

Given what we've seen in the preseason, and the problems we had last year, maybe we should start a six-man line.

I think we need a left tackle-A and a left tackle-B.

Marvel can lock elbows with, I don't know, Capizzi, or Essex, and the two of them can try to keep the other team's best pass rusher out of our backfield.

I'm very worried that BA's four-wide sets are going to turn into max-protection schemes by about week 3.  
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 09:53 »

what happens when marvel goes down for a game or two to injury?  If Smith goes down for any period of time, faneca is the only suitable replacement that wouldnt end in disaster.

With Faneca at LT do you switch Mahan to LG and move Okobi to C keeping Simmons at RG and Starks/Colon.  Or would Simmons be a more beneficial move to LG?

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Hercules50

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 11:37 »

I think if Faneca goes to LT we put Colon in the lineup.

Okobi -- I've never really understood why he's stuck around so long as such a high-paid reserve. He's been the heir apparent at center for years yet never distinguished himself, and when Hartings retires the team went out and signed a center. I think it's time for him to go, personally.  
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 14:53 »

Okobi -- I've never really understood why he's stuck around so long as such a high-paid reserve.

I think he's one of those guys who is not a bad player, but is never going to be the "answer" at center.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 15:23 »

Okobi -- I've never really understood why he's stuck around so long as such a high-paid reserve.

Okobi's had the misfortune of some bad timing.  He signed that contract with the plan that Hartings would retire and he would start reasonably soon.  Hartings hung on a year or two longer than expected.  Then, when he finally retires, Cowher does also, so Chukky doesn't get the benefit of being part of the old plan.

If Cowher were coaching this year, I'm sure the starting lineup would be Smith-Faneca-Okobi-Simmons-Starks.
blurjose
N00b

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 16:44 »

I know it's the preseason and maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm scared about our o-line. Very afraid, actually.

I'm also upset that the team did almost nothing to address this issue (other than signing Mahan).

I know that the Steelers did not have much to choose from in the first round and that it was, overall, a weak draft for OTs but...I'd just hate to see Ben get sacked 5-10X in the Baltimore games again.

I'd be curious to find out what O-Lineman will be available via FA after the season. Anyone know? (I'm far too lazy to research this myself).

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 18:57 »

Well, they have some time to do a few things this year...  

First, work on resigning Simmons and/or Faneca.  We have seen the the preseason what lies behind them is a little unexpirienced.  If they have a great year and make it to Free agency, can you imagine what a team 30 million under the cap would pay either one?

The caveat is if indeed Okobi and Mahan can mix and match the guard/center spots.

IMHO, Okobi plays his contract out here due to these depth issues.

Next year, I think we have to draft an OT somewhere rnd 1-3.  I feel Max walks after this year based on the camp performance.  Marvel's contract is up after 08',  and quite frankly, that may be #1 prioirty in extending next year as Troy's was this year. I'm totaly fine with Colon at right tackle, but its a scary thought if one of the tackles goes down to injury.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 18:59 by DCSteelers » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: