Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 23, 2014 at 09:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russell vs Davis vs Barlow vs Haynes  (Read 2704 times)
steelers4lyfe333

« on: Aug 19, 2007 at 11:15 »

After 3 game it should be getting alot easier to make a decision on these 4 guys.

IMO Willie, Najeh and Krieder are automatic locks..I no some think Dan will be cut but there is no way in hell the Steelers cut the best run blocking FB for short yardage downs no matter how many single back plays they run..Carey Davis cant do his job period.

First I'll state that Barlow is out of town now.. 0 chance of making this team..Can't hit the hole and shows no punch behind his push.

Davis is an interesting back.. I think he will make the team but his skills are really limited... His rushing skills are pretty poor.. Had one big run all preseason... As a receiver hes average.. Takes a while to get up the speed but he can do some damage..Plays special teams.. Really see him as the 4th RB and the backup FB..

Russell provides alot of promise so far..He is the best back this whole preseason hands down..His goaline chance wasn't very successful but this guy falls forward every time and gets good yards..Should get the 3rd RB spot.. But Najeh will play 3rd downs along with Willie..

Is it just me or does Russell look like he truly has some starting potential in the future? Maybe with Davis as a lead blocker in like 5 years
VThrilla18

« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 21:56 »

Is it just me or does Russell look like he truly has some starting potential in the future? Maybe with Davis as a lead blocker in like 5 years
I kind of think I see it as well. But again. I also thought I seen the same in, George Jones, Richard Huntley, Fu, and Haynes. So im not getting optimistic after only seeing him run on the scrub squads.

Though he has looked good so far.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 22:57 »

Its very hard to evaluate Russell when he's playing against guys who won't be in the league in 2 weeks. It looks like he has a good burst and his instincts appear to be good as well. The real question is whether he would clear waivers. The PS seems like a good place for him for now, but its no guarantee that he will clear waivers if cut.... As much as I love Kreider, he is pretty much 1 dimensional. Blocking only with the occasional outlet pass. If Davis can be an effective lead blocker, and I'm not saying he will be, he offers ST, blocking, carries, and he seems to be able to catch the ball. I would like to see more of what he can do as a lead blocker. My RB's right now would be, FWP, Dookie, Davis, Verron, and Russell. Sorry Danny boy. I think your time has come.... I like what I see from #38. He hustles everywhere. He can catch. Supply a few carries if needed. He has been crackin heads on ST. He can play FB. Its all about versatility. I would like to keep Verron around as he just  makes me more comfortable. He is running hard. He knows all the plays. He can catch. And, probably most importantly, he is a solid 3rd down back in pass pro. He blew up a few Redskins on Saturday. As much as I hate that dam draw to #34 on 3rd and 12, it reminds me that, yes, they are still the Stillers. And Russell sems too promising to dangle to rest of the league right now. He doesn't make the active 45, but is there, improving and practicing with the squad.
padgfrombf

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 23:29 »

It's one of those things that the best five out of camp may not be the best group at the end of the season.  Russell may well end up on the PS, but will get snapped up as soon as somebody gets short on RB's and needs a full time body on the roster (e.g., Noah Herron).  

Anyway, right now, the top group looks to be FWP, Dookie, Haynes, Kreider, and Davis, with Russell on the PS.  Barlow and Kuhn would be outta here.  Haynes retains a spot if only because he's the best RB at pass pro that the PS have, whether it be straight blitz pickup or chip blocks on his exit routes.  And nobody has shown that they're Kreider's replacement on opening day.

With apologies to Finny for previous posts, I do think Davis makes more of a case each week for a roster spot over Russell with his ST play.  And it looks like has has decent straight-up blocking skills, unlike Davenport.

If you look at the roster with the view of the end of the season, I'm wondering if a roster of FWP, Dookie, Davis, Kuhn, and Russell might be better, depending on whether Davis or Kuhn can function as FB and/or power back.  We have no TE that are functional road graders or block well in general, which may require that the PS retain Haynes instead of Kuhn in this scenario.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2007 at 23:34 by padgfrombf » Logged
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 13:13 »

The only troubling thing i saw when I rewatched the Steelers game against the Redskins.. When I watched Verron run you could see a pretty severe hitch/buckle in that repaired knee. Wehn cuttin on that knee he tended to almost like limp through his burst...

I'd love to believe he's completely healthy but after looking at it again.. Damn looks like he was in lil bit of discomfort...

I'd love to keep him but IMO that knee will hold him back
VThrilla18

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 13:51 »

what does everyone see in Haynes?  I see a guy who is pretty much Limping, has proved in the past he is at tops just a 3rd down back. I mean I used to be high on Haynes as well. But over the years Im pretty sure he has peeked and isnt getting better anytime soon. Also throw in the fact that he doesnt appear to be recovered from last years injury.

I dont see how Russell isnt the logical pick over Haynes. At best Haynes is a 3rd string, OK 3rd down back, Im pretty sure from what I seen from Russell, he is capable of doing everything Verron has, but better.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007 at 13:51 by VThrilla18 » Logged

jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 14:02 »

I like Haynes.  He has made crucial contributions to the STeelers over the last few years.

The only reason to keep Haynes is to keep Big Ben alive.  However, if the OL is struggling so much that Haynes is a necessity than we aren't going to make the playoffs anyway.

On the other hand, Russell strikes me as a solid backup to FWP, and as someone who is probably a less than 50-50 chance to make it to the Steeler practice squad.  

Thus, if the OL performs well than Haynes is relatively unnecessary (but still nice to have), and if the OL performs poorly than Russell is a must keep (i.e. build for 2008).  

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Hercules50

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 14:38 »

How about we just put Haynes on IR, give him another year to recover, and give a shot to Davis and/or Russell for this year?
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 15:27 »

its all message board fodder in regards to mr. vernon Hayes or what the eff ever Patrick said he was.  I believe he is going to get cut just for the fact that there are other able bodies to take care of his "workload".  and that able body is all 6'7 270 pound 3rd round draft pick out of Minnesota.  

instead of wasting Heat in the backfield on passing downs, use that big lug...shit he's big enough to slow someone down or at least to protect Ben's blind side.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 15:46 »

too bad it doesn't say vs. dookie at the top as well.

Seriously, I'd cut Davenport and Barlow and keep the rest.  Even in his recovered from injury state, Hayes has outplayed those two.   Davenport can only get outside with a big hole and his upright running style gets him thrown back or stopped dead when trying to get a tough inside yard.  He sucks.  Barlow hasn't ran well in a couple years.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: