Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 10:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question to ponder  (Read 2156 times)
buccobenny

« on: Aug 19, 2007 at 11:30 »

Are we positive that Willie Reid is a "lock" to make the roster? I for one have not been real impressed with his punt or KO returns. I have yet to see him make one man miss, and it's a near-certainty that he goes down on first contact.

I understand he can fly, and has potential. But I just wanted to get everyone else's take on if they still feel he is an absolute "lock" to make this team.
steelers4lyfe333

« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 11:36 »

Ya i believe he is a lock just because he has been taking mostly all the punts at practice.. I understand Cedric has been out there but he's just a security back up..He has a pretty good camp and as a receiver he is a shifty guy who's still a lil raw..

He might not be lined up in shotgun too much but he is a gurantee atleast for punts.. Maybe his kick return job is still up in the air..but he def has a big edge of Colcough
Jason15215
N00b

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 14:46 »

Not if another team cuts someone who can replace him on the return job. He is far from a lock
nate07
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2007 at 20:46 »

Reid has not impressed me at all, but I want to see some more of him in the next 2 preseason games before I say if think he should be cut. He needs to break a few tackles and not go down on first contact when he's returning.  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 08:07 »

Reid has not impressed me at all, but I want to see some more of him in the next 2 preseason games before I say if think he should be cut. He needs to break a few tackles and not go down on first contact when he's returning.
Disagree completely.  I find there's a lot of engative commentary on Reid, which I think stems from his having missed a year to injury, and one preseason game where he muffed a kick.  That seems to be coloring people's expectations wildly.

Since the HOF game, I've seen a guy who's done everything that one would expect from a slash-type player -- field kicks, catch the ball, block, rush -- and the only thing we haven't seen is Reid break off a long return.  OK, well.  How much coverage cushion is he getting on the returns so far?  From what I've seen, guys are pretty much on him right away.  The question isn't whether he should be "breaking tackles," but rather whether he can reasonably be expected to elude coverage units in his face.  

I do consider Reid's chances to be very good.  It was also good to see Coke have a nice return, get his confidence back so that he can be a reserve returner.  Even though Ced and Coke had some better returns in these PS games, I still think Reid's much better overall.  He was just killing at camp, and Tomlin and Ligashesky are seeing a lot more of Reid than we are.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 08:26 »

The question isn't whether he should be "breaking tackles," but rather whether he can reasonably be expected to elude coverage units in his face.  

That's just it.  I don't see him being able to do that at this level.  Yeah, he might've been All World Returner for the Semenholes, but IMO, he has yet to show that he can hack it in the bigs.

I know I'm in the minority and it'll probably give Y (2 to tha double D) Joyce a coronary, but my opinions on Reid haven't changed.

Personally, I think he's a bubble guy, at best.  While he might have more potential than a guy like...Wilson, let's say, I don't see him ever getting any time as anything other than a PR.  And, that's saying a lot coming from me because it was only a few short months ago when I thought Wilson was a no brainer cut.  I gotta give the guy a little credit though because he's showed something during the preseason and at the very least, has earned a roster spot.

If it were up to me, I would only keep Reid if they're going to keep six WRs.  If they were just going to go with five, it would be Ward, Holmes, Wilson, Washington and Young.  IMO, he's somewhat fortunate that they're a little thin, experience-wise, at WR or he'd have no shot to make the team.  If they would've gone out and signed a guy like Tim Dwight during the offseason, he'd have "cut" and "practice squad" written all over him.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 08:48 »

We'll have to agree to disagree on Reid.  I don't think any returner can be expected to miracle his arse out of coverage that's basically got him blanketed, not even THEE Devin Hester.  And I see Reid as a poor man's Hester on KR/PR, and probably a bit better as a pure WR.  I'll say that with Reid's versatility and upside, he's almost an ARE-Hester cross.  I think he's gonna have a few WOW plays this year.

buccobenny

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 10:16 »

We'll have to agree to disagree on Reid.  I don't think any returner can be expected to miracle his arse out of coverage that's basically got him blanketed, not even THEE Devin Hester.  And I see Reid as a poor man's Hester on KR/PR, and probably a bit better as a pure WR.  I'll say that with Reid's versatility and upside, he's almost an ARE-Hester cross.  I think he's gonna have a few WOW plays this year.
I agree with the "WOW" assesment.

Unfortunatly I fear the "wows" may be negitive.

Like WOW how do you tackled by the first guy who touches you every single return! Or WOW could you please hold onto the ball!

Or something along those lines. I don't think he is a "poor man's" Devin Hester, maybe a "homeless man's" Devin Hester.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 08:49 »

Reid hasn't exactly shown a proclivity for fumbling.  That's just asinine.  And even though Ced and even Coke looked good in their returns, if you put them in the SAME EXACT spot as 15 was in for his returns, they'd have gotten nada too.  The setup was just poor.  

Really not understanding the rabid anti-Reid stuff.

calig23
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 10:26 »

Really not understanding the rabid anti-Reid stuff.
I think it is a prejudice against having too many players named "Willie" on the team. That many "Willie's" are gonna make us homersexual, or something!

And I guess it's a durn good thing that William Gay doesn't go by "Willie."

"It's easy to sit at home and stuff burritos into your mouth until you're about to explode." - Stan Savran on Mark Madden.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: