Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 22:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project the final 53  (Read 4035 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Aug 21, 2007 at 12:09 »

Still two games to go, but I'll take a shot.  A lot could happen between now and September 1.

QB (3)

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Hercules50

« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 12:54 »

QB (2)
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 12:55 »

I think that they will keep Reid and axe BSP (with a more spread offense I can't see just taking 5 WR).  While I would like to say Kreider beats out Poop, don't think it will happen.

I do think there will be an unexpected cut (Tomlin making a mark on the team), but where that will be I don't know.  I can't see that statement cut being Starks (possible, but unlikely).  Iwuoma (a Cowher guy) probably won't make it anyway.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 13:29 »

QB (3). Roethlisberger, Batch, St. Pierre.

St. Pierre is the man with something to prove, which partly explains how much action he's seen this preseason.  I think that the lesson of 2006, or one of them, was that QB depth is mighty shaky with two guys.  The read-between-the-lines message this preseason was, Should we stick with BSP this year, or bring in a waiver wire QB?  IMO, BSP has done just enough to stick.  Might not in 2008.

RB (5). Parker, Davenport, Kreider, Davis, Russell.  

Haynes has made a good acquittal of himself, but I see his skill set as virtually equivalent to Davis's, and health and age win out.  Kreider survives the cuts because sometimes we'll spread the ball, sometimes it'll be the ol' pounding style.  Next year, possibly, Davis makes both Davenport and Kreider expendable?

WR (6). Ward, Holmes, Washington, Wilson, Reid, Young.  

Baker hasn't challenged, so it comes down to how many guys we want to carry.  Young has shown his best yet this year, and could be a handy RZ target, not to mention necessary depth for a team using more spread formations.

TE (3). Miller, Spaeth, Tuman.

Tuman doesn't come back next year.

OL (9).  
Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Simmons, Colon, Starks, Kemoeatu, Philip, Capizzi.

Stephenson needs a lot of work, so we hope he clears waivers.  Philip may not win the backup job so much as Okobi loses it.  In the absence of any decent OT depth, look for Capizzi to sneak in, if he gets enough prep work.

DL (6). Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hoke, Kirschke, McBean.  

McBean versus Eason is a tough call, but figure this is the last DL spot, and we can afford to take on a Mitchell project.  Not settled by any stretch, just yet.

LB (8).  Farrior, Foote, Haggans, J. Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Kriewaldt, Wallace.

Koonce may stick on the PS, despite some good STs play.  Arnold Harrison hasn't shown enough, IMO.  Wallace has gotten a lot of work across ILB/OLB/STs, and sticks.  Kriewaldt, in the Fiala role, sticks due to vet smarts and STs play.  

DB (9).  Polamalu, Clark, Smith, Carter, Townshend, Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Colclough.

Madison may be a PS keeper, don't know about Lorello.  The four deep at S is augmented by Townshend getting some reps there; maybe he's a two-position backup if and when McFadden wins a starting corner job.  Gay passes Coke on depth, but Coke sticks due to recent decent play and STs.

ST (3).  Sepulveda, Reed, Warren.

Guys on my list who I'm least confident of: Capizzi, Philip, McBean.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2007 at 13:50 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 14:51 »

Who would you like to give a pass to, Finman?  

Okobi?

Eason?

Haynes?

Arnie Harrison?

Koonce?

Essex?

Stephenson?

You've only got 52.  I'm going to guess Okobi.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2007 at 15:07 »

Yeah, I'm an idiot.  

I don't think we give it to the guy who most impacts STs.  I personally would keep Stephenson, even being a project, but I'll go with Koonce.  

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 14:11 »

Not much change, but there are a couple.

QB (2)

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 14:43 »

Not much change, but there are a couple.

QB (2)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 15:01 »

My 53rd man is now Eason.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 20:41 »

Ironically, this year I think BSP finally deserves to stick as the #3, but he may not simply because of competition at other positions.  6 RBs deserve to stay, and only going with 5 WR is risky IMO.  

Be a bit of a ballsy move to only go with 2 QBs, esp. since Ben hasn't played 16 games yet in his career.  Charlie's solid, but has gotten hurt at times also.

That's why Tomlin's getting the big bucks.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: