Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 16, 2014 at 00:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project the final 53  (Read 3470 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 20:47 »

Ironically, this year I think BSP finally deserves to stick as the #3, but he may not simply because of competition at other positions.  6 RBs deserve to stay, and only going with 5 WR is risky IMO.  

Be a bit of a ballsy move to only go with 2 QBs, esp. since Ben hasn't played 16 games yet in his career.  Charlie's solid, but has gotten hurt at times also.

That's why Tomlin's getting the big bucks.
My feeling on the risk of playing with 2 qb's on the roster is as follows:  if you get down to where you have to start #3, your season is fucked regardless.

Let Pea Hair go.  We get down to needing a third, it's not going to matter much anyway. I'm sure we can pull some Tom, Dick or Harry off the wire to hand the ball off.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 20:59 »

Great point by msdmnr on Ben not making it the full 16 in any of his seasons as a full start and injury issues with Batch.  

Though I lean the way of the penso...if BSP is there, we're screwed anyway.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:16 »

Pretty good chance that BSP would be "available" if it ever came down to needing a 3rd QB anyway.

And, I'd like to make one final modification to my list and then that'll be it.  

Cut McBean and sign Tim Dwight who was cut by the Jets yesterday.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:34 »

Pretty good chance that BSP would be "available" if it ever came down to needing a 3rd QB anyway.

And, I'd like to make one final modification to my list and then that'll be it.  

Cut McBean and sign Tim Dwight who was cut by the Jets yesterday.
If you pick up Dwight, it makes Reid expendable as well.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:43 »

How's Dwight's speed at this point? Isn't there a reason that the Jets would cut him? I don't think of the Jets as being flush with speedy, athletic return men.

Maybe Wilson would be just as good, and save the roster spot...

I still hope Reid sticks, and gets his crap together.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:59 »

If you pick up Dwight, it makes Reid expendable as well.
Yeah, that's the plan.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:11 »

How's Dwight's speed at this point? Isn't there a reason that the Jets would cut him? I don't think of the Jets as being flush with speedy, athletic return men.

They do have Justin Miller for KO's.  They've got a couple fourth year guys listed on their  depth chart for punt returns.

As poor as our punt returns have been, wouldn't mind a bit if they at least brought him in for a look.  Cut him in a week if he doesn't look ready.

Regarding the BSP issue, I agree if he has to start several games for us, we're screwed.  I thinking more along the lines of needing someone for a few series, or one game tops, i.e., if Ben's out, then Charlie gets dinged up during the game.  However, it's rare that a team needs to use three QBs in a game.  However, say Ben's out.  If BSP's not available, then we're picking up some guy off the street that doesn't know the offense as a backup, and he'll only have a few days to figure it out.

All comes down to how much insurance you want to buy.  And it's not like we're grooming BSP for the future, since he's two years older than Ben (and it's highly unlikely he'll ever be a #1 under any circustances).
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 10:42 »

BSP is the Rooney's insurance policy if they can't RESING Ben.

:stirthepot:  

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 14:17 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_524599.html

The quote by Okobi sounds like he is really worried about being cut.  I still think we need him as a backup at Center or Guard, but if by freeing the 2 Mil we can resign Faneca, Simmons or extend Marvel, OK by me.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007 at 14:19 by DCSteelers » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 09:07 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_524599.html

The quote by Okobi sounds like he is really worried about being cut.  I still think we need him as a backup at Center or Guard, but if by freeing the 2 Mil we can resign Faneca, Simmons or extend Marvel, OK by me.

Philip has a better shot backing up OG, IMO.  Okobi seems to be a C only type.

Saving his cap room won't help re-sign Faneca, and it's questionable whether that would be good in the long haul anyway.  Simmons, maybe dollar-wise, though questions still exist about his strength, so long-term?  Who knows.  Smith, I think he's in for a few more years, the real question is grooming a successor.  Smith might actually be more adept if he moved in to LG and we had a younger LT outside of him.  Might work for a year or two.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: