Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 05:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drummond or Reid???  (Read 3801 times)
schnoah

« on: Aug 24, 2007 at 09:19 »

Drummond Looking For New Team
August 24
Detroit Free Press: "The timing of Drummond's release gives him a better chance to land another job. Drummond said he expected to sign elsewhere soon and he had heard Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Tampa Bay and Denver were interested."

Here We Go Steelers!!!!  
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 09:29 »

Both.  We need help in the return game, but Reid has much more potential at WR.  Cut Ced, sing Drummond.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
ICFan
N00b

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 09:45 »

tight ass roonies would never sing him
jcharding

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 14:11 »

I could have sworn that the tight-assed Rooneys were pretty much capped out.  But that doesn't make sense, because if the Steelers were near the salary cap then how could they be cheap?

I don't need no stinking avatar!
vcuram

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 16:06 »

I could have sworn that the tight-assed Rooneys were pretty much capped out.  But that doesn't make sense, because if the Steelers were near the salary cap then how could they be cheap?
HELLLOO STOOPID!! EVERE BODY NOWS HOW CHEEEP DEM ROONYZ BE!!

SING EDY DRUM MAN!!!

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 17:10 »

Ya know, I was about to laugh and say "Why the hell every time a player is released, posters want the Steelers to sign them (ala Simeon Rice)..."  

But actually, the idea of signing Drummond to a one or two year deal actually makes a little sense.  I could not stand to see one more punt muff this year.

Unless the idea would to be eliminate say Chidi since Gay has had a monster preseason, I think the signing would mean Walter Young doesn't make the team.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2007 at 17:11 by DCSteelers » Logged
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2007 at 02:26 »

WHACHOO TALKIN BOUT WILLIS REID!!!???  MisseER DRUMMIN RULZ!!!11

A shabby Charlie Brown.
vcuram

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2007 at 19:00 »

Drummond singed with the Chefs today.

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2007 at 20:50 »

WHACHOO TALKIN BOUT WILLIS REID!!!???  MisseER DRUMMIN RULZ!!!11
thanks for that Penso...good material

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 06:45 »

Sure would be nice if Willie could....you know....Catch the damn ball!!!!! What is up with our punt returning lately (and by lately I mean the past year)?

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 07:50 »

Yeah, I've been defending Reid to this point, but he needs to get his shit together. Dude has a ton of potential, but he really needs to hold onto the damn ball.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 08:01 »

Chiefs singed Drummond.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 09:37 »

IMHO, Reid is a cut.  

Only way for him to make the team is if they decide to keep 6 WRs because I personally think that Ward, Holmes, Washington, Wilson, Young are all ahead of him on the depth chart.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 09:48 »

IMHO, Reid is a cut.

Can't argue that too much at this point.  He still can go on the practice squad, correct?  Give him another year to try to improve.

Dunno, maybe he's one of those guys who's lights out in practice, but just can't put it together come game time.

At this point, for me, if he makes it, fine.  If not, that's OK too.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 09:49 »

I think they keep Reid, use him on KR, and maybe Ced or Coke  :(  on PR.  With the idea of working Reid in there as well.  

But then again, maybe the damage is irreparable.  Tomlin says he's juding guys by how they play in games.

mrblack66

« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 09:55 »

IMHO, Reid is a cut.  

Only way for him to make the team is if they decide to keep 6 WRs because I personally think that Ward, Holmes, Washington, Wilson, Young are all ahead of him on the depth chart.
I hate to agree with that but I do. I'm always waiting on Reid to do something big,  but you cant always keep guys on potential alone. Reid better make some plays next week (or just hold on the ball) or it will hard for Tomlin to keep him.

Cant bash Ced right now with the pre-season he's had.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 12:32 »

No way Reid makes it to the practice squad, though.

Watch the f'n Patsies pick him up and turn him into a star..sigh.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 12:57 »

I still don't think he's a cut... yet.  And we have Thursday to evaluate him one more time.

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 13:21 »

I still think Reid will make it.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Hercules50

« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:20 »

I still think Reid will make the team, but he has a short leash. He could be an in-season cut or demotion to the PS.

The fair catch at the five upset me nearly as much as the fumble. I don't get Reid. He looks like he's never fielded a punt in his life sometimes. Maybe he gets too stressed out and can't handle the pressure or something.

Given his insane production in college, I'd like to see him get a shot, although one fumbled punt is often enough to swing a football game. So, who knows.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:30 »

You have to imagine that the difference in fieldig punts in the NFL versus college must be pretty remarkable.  I'd guess you're dealing with longer punts, higher punts, greater hang times, faster and stronger opposition and less of a talent gap between your guys and their guys.  

Maybe, just maybe, Willie Reid was a great college player, like Kordell, or Charles Rogers.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:33 »

If he's healthy, Tim Dwight instead of Reid.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jcharding

« Reply #22 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:16 »

In Dante Hall's first two years as the KC punt returner he averaged 6.2 and 7.3 YPR.  That was a total of 38 punt returns for those two years.  He had zero TDs and 2 (total) 20+ yard returns  with one fumble.

Given that Reid was injured for most of his rookie year, and given his relative youth regardless, I would argue that we are being a bit too hasty.  If he stays healthy this year and then still does nothing, then I think we can consider moving on. I would be very surprised and disappointed if he were a cut.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:23 »

In Dante Hall's first two years as the KC punt returner he averaged 6.2 and 7.3 YPR.  That was a total of 38 punt returns for those two years.  He had zero TDs and 2 (total) 20+ yard returns  with one fumble.
That's the key. After last season and this preseason, I'd be happy to just get a fair catch every time. Catch being the key word.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

jcharding

« Reply #24 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:35 »

In Dante Hall's first two years as the KC punt returner he averaged 6.2 and 7.3 YPR.  That was a total of 38 punt returns for those two years.  He had zero TDs and 2 (total) 20+ yard returns  with one fumble.
That's the key. After last season and this preseason, I'd be happy to just get a fair catch every time. Catch being the key word.
I understand, but with the entire city hyperventilating every time anyone goes back to catch a punt we are putting way to much pressure on the returners and causing them to think too much.

Consider Santonio Holmes' first season returning punts.  In the first half of the season he and Coke were terrible.  I am too lazy to redo the research right now, but in the first 8 games Holmes averaged about 7 YPR, fumbled repeatedly, and had no positive impact on returns.  In the second half of the year, Holmes was one of the best punt returners in the NFL (he was top-4, I can't remember where exactly) and averaged something like 12+ YPR with one TD.  The difference - people became numb to mistakes and had no expectations.  Right now we haven't had any football for months and people (including the players) are busily flashing back to the beginning of last year.

Let them iron out the kicks.  There is no need to stress about issues during the preseason.  

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 09:29 »

FRIGGIN NUBIEZZ WANA TRI TOO RAN WIT DA BIG DOOGS NAD CANT HUNG CUZ TEHY DONT YOUZ TEH CAPZ LOCS!!!11 DEM CHEEP AZZ ROONIES WONT SING MR DRUMMUND CUZ WE GOT WILLIS REED!!!! UM HELLO! WHAT U TLAKING BOUT WILLIS????!!!!!111 NO 1 BETER THIN WILLIS,CEPT MAYB RNOLT!!!!! SING RNOLT!!!!!111

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
ICFan
N00b

« Reply #26 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 10:09 »

FRIGGIN NUBIEZZ WANA TRI TOO RAN WIT DA BIG DOOGS NAD CANT HUNG CUZ TEHY DONT YOUZ TEH CAPZ LOCS!!!11 DEM CHEEP AZZ ROONIES WONT SING MR DRUMMUND CUZ WE GOT WILLIS REED!!!! UM HELLO! WHAT U TLAKING BOUT WILLIS????!!!!!111 NO 1 BETER THIN WILLIS,CEPT MAYB RNOLT!!!!! SING RNOLT!!!!!111
OOPPS1111
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: