Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 28, 2014 at 08:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drummond or Reid???  (Read 3456 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:30 »

You have to imagine that the difference in fieldig punts in the NFL versus college must be pretty remarkable.  I'd guess you're dealing with longer punts, higher punts, greater hang times, faster and stronger opposition and less of a talent gap between your guys and their guys.  

Maybe, just maybe, Willie Reid was a great college player, like Kordell, or Charles Rogers.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:33 »

If he's healthy, Tim Dwight instead of Reid.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #22 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:16 »

In Dante Hall's first two years as the KC punt returner he averaged 6.2 and 7.3 YPR.  That was a total of 38 punt returns for those two years.  He had zero TDs and 2 (total) 20+ yard returns  with one fumble.

Given that Reid was injured for most of his rookie year, and given his relative youth regardless, I would argue that we are being a bit too hasty.  If he stays healthy this year and then still does nothing, then I think we can consider moving on. I would be very surprised and disappointed if he were a cut.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:23 »

In Dante Hall's first two years as the KC punt returner he averaged 6.2 and 7.3 YPR.  That was a total of 38 punt returns for those two years.  He had zero TDs and 2 (total) 20+ yard returns  with one fumble.
That's the key. After last season and this preseason, I'd be happy to just get a fair catch every time. Catch being the key word.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #24 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:35 »

In Dante Hall's first two years as the KC punt returner he averaged 6.2 and 7.3 YPR.  That was a total of 38 punt returns for those two years.  He had zero TDs and 2 (total) 20+ yard returns  with one fumble.
That's the key. After last season and this preseason, I'd be happy to just get a fair catch every time. Catch being the key word.
I understand, but with the entire city hyperventilating every time anyone goes back to catch a punt we are putting way to much pressure on the returners and causing them to think too much.

Consider Santonio Holmes' first season returning punts.  In the first half of the season he and Coke were terrible.  I am too lazy to redo the research right now, but in the first 8 games Holmes averaged about 7 YPR, fumbled repeatedly, and had no positive impact on returns.  In the second half of the year, Holmes was one of the best punt returners in the NFL (he was top-4, I can't remember where exactly) and averaged something like 12+ YPR with one TD.  The difference - people became numb to mistakes and had no expectations.  Right now we haven't had any football for months and people (including the players) are busily flashing back to the beginning of last year.

Let them iron out the kicks.  There is no need to stress about issues during the preseason.  

I don't need no stinking avatar!
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 09:29 »

tight ass roonies would never sing him
FRIGGIN NUBIEZZ WANA TRI TOO RAN WIT DA BIG DOOGS NAD CANT HUNG CUZ TEHY DONT YOUZ TEH CAPZ LOCS!!!11 DEM CHEEP AZZ ROONIES WONT SING MR DRUMMUND CUZ WE GOT WILLIS REED!!!! UM HELLO! WHAT U TLAKING BOUT WILLIS????!!!!!111 NO 1 BETER THIN WILLIS,CEPT MAYB RNOLT!!!!! SING RNOLT!!!!!111

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
ICFan
N00b

« Reply #26 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 10:09 »

tight ass roonies would never sing him
FRIGGIN NUBIEZZ WANA TRI TOO RAN WIT DA BIG DOOGS NAD CANT HUNG CUZ TEHY DONT YOUZ TEH CAPZ LOCS!!!11 DEM CHEEP AZZ ROONIES WONT SING MR DRUMMUND CUZ WE GOT WILLIS REED!!!! UM HELLO! WHAT U TLAKING BOUT WILLIS????!!!!!111 NO 1 BETER THIN WILLIS,CEPT MAYB RNOLT!!!!! SING RNOLT!!!!!111
OOPPS1111
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: