Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 00:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Madden: AGAIN attacking Bettis  (Read 2788 times)
altimusprime
N00b

« on: Aug 27, 2007 at 22:26 »

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=478568&rfi=6

man does he HATE Bettis.
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 22:49 »

I'm a Bettis fan. My wife is an even bigger fan. In fact, my brother just got us both Jerome Bettis-signed pictures of him and Ben hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

That said, he has, IMO, been less than on the up and up in regard to the Steelers and, as a result, Pittsburgh, since his retirement.

These "revelations" kinda rub me the wrong way. And, despite the fact that it was great foresight (and honestly, many of us knew it was going to happen, too), I did not appreciate him airing the notion of Cowher leaving when the Steelers were in the middle of the PRE-season last year. If he had inside knowledge, for the sake of the team and city that got him his ring, he could have been a little less forthright. Then again, I guess that's what he was getting paid to be.

Who knows? I guess I just think that any time the Steelers - who did a great deal for him and he for them - are being weighed against other things in his life, the scales should favor the Steelers a little more.  

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:02 »

I don't blame Bettis in the least for his speculation that Cowher would call it quits. He is payed to be an analyst to discuss current NFL issues. And that speculation was probably just that. No one knew for sure what Chin would do, but Bettis just had an inkling that he would leave.  And I really don't think any harm was done.

The book however, discusses the past, and some of his "revelations" are nothing short of cheap shots at people in the Steelers organization. While Mark Madden is a fat, bloated eediot, he is correct is defending the Steelers against Bettis accusations.

The stuff about Stewart is particularly insane. That dude was done the minute he cried and screamed at Chin for pulling him. Done, I say.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 08:37 »

While Bettis may be in the wrong for his "revelations" (which didn't strike me as being very noteworthy anyway, typical ex-jock-writes-a-book stuff), Madden is certainly guilty here of playing both sides of the fence.  He's on record as blasting the Rooneys and the organization elsewhere, and now, because it suits his puerile agenda, he makes them out to be the good guys and Bettis to be the bad.

Fact is, anyone who watched the Steelers' run to XL knows what Bettis meant to that team.  You get the feeling Madden must have ben absolutely miserable during the months of January and February of '06, as all his favorite whipping boys (Bettis and Ike Taylor in particular) enjoyed a great deal of success.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jcharding

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:06 »

I didn't realize that Madden now wrote for the Beaver County Times.  I just lost a great deal of respect for the Times.  I used to read it fairly regularly.  Now that I no longer live in Beaver County I read it fairly infrequently.  Now I have even less of a reason to do so.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
blurjose
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:46 »

If we can put aside the fact that the article has no credibility by virtue of it being written by Madden....

The article still wouldn't have credibility because the writer, quite narcissistically, reveals his hand within the first couple of sentences when he childishly utters: "See, see, see. Please like me and hate him. I TOLD you he was a bad man. Mommy, please like me better."

Then the writer thinks he can get us to forgive his narcissism by exaggerating it overtly with "humor": "I'm right as always".

I'm not offended by the idea that Bettis is a phoney. I just don't care. I'm more offended by this loser airing out his dirty laundry in public and taking up space with it.

Bettis was a great player and as far as we know...he didn't commit any major crimes and was well liked by other players. He's written a bad book (I'm just assuming it's bad only because sports autobiographies are bad--you only get a "Ball Four" once every decade or so) that a few die-hard fans of his will read. End of story.

Developmentally speaking, children need to see the world in black and white terms in order to assimilate it, to make sense of things. The idea of acknowledging the grey is too anxiety provoking and confusing.

It sounds like Madden is stuck there.  
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007 at 09:51 by blurjose » Logged
VaBchSteelersfan

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 11:05 »

I didn't realize that Madden now wrote for the Beaver County Times. I just lost a great deal of respect for the Times. I used to read it fairly regularly. Now that I no longer live in Beaver County I read it fairly infrequently. Now I have even less of a reason to do so.

Beautiful!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 11:21 »

If we can put aside the fact that the article has no credibility by virtue of it being written by Madden....

The article still wouldn't have credibility because the writer, quite narcissistically, reveals his hand within the first couple of sentences when he childishly utters: "See, see, see. Please like me and hate him. I TOLD you he was a bad man. Mommy, please like me better."

Then the writer thinks he can get us to forgive his narcissism by exaggerating it overtly with "humor": "I'm right as always".

I'm not offended by the idea that Bettis is a phoney. I just don't care. I'm more offended by this loser airing out his dirty laundry in public and taking up space with it.

Bettis was a great player and as far as we know...he didn't commit any major crimes and was well liked by other players. He's written a bad book (I'm just assuming it's bad only because sports autobiographies are bad--you only get a "Ball Four" once every decade or so) that a few die-hard fans of his will read. End of story.

Developmentally speaking, children need to see the world in black and white terms in order to assimilate it, to make sense of things. The idea of acknowledging the grey is too anxiety provoking and confusing.

It sounds like Madden is stuck there.
Yeah, I skimmed to the part where Madden crowed about being right again and hit "eject."

I think you hit the nail on the head, on all points.  The Bettis book is a non-issue; we all know that the private man and public image are different things, but in Bettis's case I have no problem with either.

Madden cannot begin to understand the crucible in which these players live.  I don't see players having a public and private persona as being phony, but rather a necessary insulation.  

My only problem with Bettis EVER was his effectiveness as a player after the 2001 groin injury, which seemed to carry over for a couple of years.  As Penso put it, he was able to contribute enough -- as a player -- in the SB, and that contribution was small on paper but large in life.  

Madden is, as always, a provocateur.  If he can't get people buzzed up over something, he's useless.  Which, you know, he is.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 11:32 »

Is there really any news in these excerpts from the Bettis book?

Cowher was thinking of quitting after '05 or '06? Any coach who's around more than 5 years in one place thinks of walking away.

As for Kordell and his contract issues: Bettis surely learned this "theory" from Kordell himself. Again: no news. Players exchanging paranoid and ego-centric gossip about their contract situations, and said rumors spreading like a virus around a team, must be a constant NFL occurrence.

I see no big deal here.  
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 11:38 »

But now I've been proven right. Just like always.

Bettis' loyal army of sheep is lined up to take his part. Hines Ward, Alan Faneca and Deshea Townsend are among those justifying Bettis' literary antics via mealy-mouthed sound bites.

If KS2 isn't Mark Madden, he is a close relative.

Almost word for word.

As a former New York Times Best-Seller myself - Ric Flair's autobiography "To Be the Man," now out in paperback - I understand the concept of hyping a book.

My favorite Colin Cowherd line was when he called wrestling fans "a bunch of booger eaters"

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: