Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 23, 2014 at 15:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sporting News Says Steelers Easiest Sept Schedule  (Read 1986 times)
Cogitobsw

« on: Aug 28, 2007 at 15:33 »

Article

Can't say I really disagree or am too upset about it.  After last year and with a new coach, I think we have a great opportunity to start off well and and build on momentum.

Of course if we stumble out of the block with this schedule and what's coming for us later in the year, it could be a looooooooooong season

Cogito Ergo Sum
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 17:31 »

I agree it's easy on paper.  But we go through the same old SOS BS each and every year.  It's really only a valuable tool (and then not all that valuable for the NFL) after the season is over.  

Case in point, New Orleans, last season.  Or even to a certain extent, the Ratties.  No doubt every team had us circled as a tough opponent in week one, but those opinions had changed mightily by week 5.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 17:41 »

I think we match up well with those teams, but it is worth noting that the NFCW teams both could be improved this year.  Now, that may come more at the expense of the Seahags than us, but I think the Cards game in particular could be telling.  Whiz and Grimm against Tomlin?  I hope Coach Tomlin kills them.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 18:29 »

True, but, let me play devils advocate on this one.

Who comes into that game wanting a "W" more? I'll  bet that Whiz and Grim are chomping at this bit for this game...if I'm Whiz, I've been planning for this one since I left. Both these guys got to be a tad bitter.

I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if we lose this one in an upset. Don't like it, but, wouldn't be surprised.

It would be particularly interesting to see how well Faneca performs...

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
dcity21

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 20:59 »

IMO Faneca is more likely to bust his balls in that game than he is in any other.. DUDE WANTS PAID and if he's laying road against the Cards it goes a long ways for helping justify Whiz and Grimm wanting him and the upwards for 7-8 per that he'll want..  

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 12:20 »

I agree on paper it's easy, and if we want to get to 10 wins we better take full advantage of it.  We also have the advantage of one of our West Coast trips coming after a bye.  Here's my blueprint for 10-6:

Early season:  @ Cleveland, Buffalo, San Fran, @ Arizona, Seattle

All these, based on location, look winnable to me.  Cleveland's a mess, Buffalo, SF at home.  Arizona could be a stumbling block.  Seattle will want revenge, but again we're at home.

We break out of the gate fast:  5-0

Post Bye lull:  @ Denver, @ Cinci, Balt

This schedule would be tough under normal circumstances, but after two weeks of hearing how good we are, it's even more difficult.  We'll stumble here a bit:

After phase 2: 6-2

Second half burst:  CLE, @ NYJ, Miami, Cincy

Ends a string of 4 out of five at home, against teams that are beatable.  Jets may be the stumbling block.

Back on track:  9-3

Late season - Murderer's row:  @ NE, JAX, @ St. Louis, @ Balt

All I can say is - ugh.  NE is NE, Jax is always a slobberknocker that can go either way, and Balty on the road.  To make it worse, the most winnable game, St. Louis, is on the road on a short week (Thurs), coming off the brutal Jax game.  2-2 here would be good, but I'm not sure we'll get that.

Final record:  10-6

That's how I see us get to 10, and we get a playoff berth.  With our Oline questions, can't say we've done enough to catch Baltimore, though game planning might be better this year, and if Ben will continue to dump the ball to Willie, that may slow down the Balty pass rush.
Hercules50

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 12:49 »

I like your predictions. Sounds about right.

I have to say, as much as I can't tell how good or bad we're going to be -- and I feel more uncertain than I have going into a season in a long time, like this team could go 6-10 or we could 14-2 -- I feel the same way about the division.

Balty, Cinci, Cleveland are all mysteries to me.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 12:57 »

I agree on paper it's easy, and if we want to get to 10 wins we better take full advantage of it.  We also have the advantage of one of our West Coast trips coming after a bye.  Here's my blueprint for 10-6:

I like how you broke it down into phases, rather than go game-by-game assigning W/L.  Of course, any team can beat any team at any time .... BUT, the only teams that really scare me are NE (for obvious reasons), JAX (as you say, always a slobberknocker) and Balty - only b/c of the rapings last season.  Maybe they can put McNair on IR in the first meeting (not kidding).

Wouldn't be a bit suprised to see 10-6 take the division.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 15:03 »

I agree on paper it's easy, and if we want to get to 10 wins we better take full advantage of it.  We also have the advantage of one of our West Coast trips coming after a bye.  Here's my blueprint for 10-6:

I like how you broke it down into phases, rather than go game-by-game assigning W/L.  Of course, any team can beat any team at any time .... BUT, the only teams that really scare me are NE (for obvious reasons), JAX (as you say, always a slobberknocker) and Balty - only b/c of the rapings last season.  Maybe they can put McNair on IR in the first meeting (not kidding).

Wouldn't be a bit suprised to see 10-6 take the division.
Agree with jonz that your breakdown of the season into phases is, well, outstanding.  10-6 +/- 1 seems where we're headed, IMO, and it could very well go as you say.

What I see as the critical matchups are the Balty games.  They annihilated us, embarassed us.  Since 2000 (their SB season), I believe there's been pretty good parity, and IIRC we are dead even in terms of record.  Usually we split, and I think we each had a season of sweeps?  Anyway, the balance of power never seems to swing one way too long, as opposed to the Browns.  

If we can split with the Ravens, I think we can beat any team out there.  Hell, if we can figure out their pass rush, we could conceivably return the favor by sweeping them, but I'll hope for a split for now.  

The Denver game is the first game that has me really worried.  In Denver, and IMO Denver is a bit underrated this year (all attention on SD).  I know we kicked the snot out of them in the 05 AFCC, and they may want to remind us of it.  If we do win the first 5 and then beat Denver, I will be ecstatic.  If we go 5-0, and then beat Denver and Balty (7-1 at worst), I will openly worship at the shrine of Tomlin.

It's hard for me to form expectations.  Also, more entertaining to say Hey, this year, if we do anything at all, it'll be beyond what anyone expected, so it's a free ride.  Lower the bar and then clear it by a mile, I guess.

All I know is that these writers who love Cincy are going to be deeply disappointed.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 14:16 »

Just digging this thread up to update/analyze my predictions at the break.

I predicted 5-0 with Arizona as a possible stumbling block, so I was pretty close.  Even being a game behind on my predictions, I still see double digit wins.

The phase 2 teams (@Den, @Cincy, Bal) aren't nearly as imposing as they appeared in preseason.  Plus, we're still flying under the radar.  I think we can get on pace to 6-2 by winning 2 out of 3.

Phase 3 teams (Cle, @NYJ, Mia, Cincy):  If you had told me after week 1 the Browns would be the best of this lot, I'd have asked you what are you smoking and can I have some.  But I think that may be true.  No reason we shouldn't win all four of these, but weird things happen.  I'm going to keep my prediction at 9-3 just to account for a fluke or if we don't win 2 of 3 in phase 2, but 10-2 wouldn't surprise me if we can get healthy and stay that way.

Phase 4 (@NE, Jax, @ St. Louis, @ Balt) - this schedule is still a bear, even with St. Louis being worse than anticipated.  A lot can happen between now and then, but I really like how we're playing, the Arizona debacle excepted.  I think we do a little better than 1-3 in this stretch, so I'll change my prediction slightly to 11-5, which should be good enough to win the division, likely a #3 seed.

Basically, my feelings have changed from thinking we can win 10 in preseason to being disappointed if we don't win 10 now, despite not having the undefeated start I thought we'd need.  Mainly because we haven't just won those games, we kicked serious ass.  Shutting out Seattle with three Pro Bowlers out, plus another key starter?  You gotta be kidding me.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007 at 14:17 by msdmnr2002 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: