Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 19:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project the final 53  (Read 3872 times)
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 17:39 »

How's Dwight's speed at this point? Isn't there a reason that the Jets would cut him? I don't think of the Jets as being flush with speedy, athletic return men.

They do have Justin Miller for KO's. They've got a couple fourth year guys listed on their depth chart for punt returns.

As poor as our punt returns have been, wouldn't mind a bit if they at least brought him in for a look. Cut him in a week if he doesn't look ready.

Tim Dwight has accrued enough service time that he is a fully-vested veteran. Meaning if he is on the roster for week one, his salary becomes guaranteed for the remainder of the season. So bringing him in and then cutting him if he doesn't pan out doesn't appeal to me.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 20:47 »

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Aug 31, 2007 at 00:53 »

St. Pea Hair IS eligible for the practice squad...

Great, I think... 2 QBs on the active 53 and a safety valve on the PS.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07243/813693-66.stm

After rechecking, the Steelers have determined that quarterback Brian St. Pierre is eligible for the practice squad. Players are eligible unless they've been active for nine games in one season or been on practice squads for three years. St. Pierre had spent time on practice squads for two seasons when the Steelers signed him to their practice squad last year.

However, he only spent one week on the practice squad before he was added to the 53-man roster. It turns out, a player must spend at least three weeks on the practice squad for it to count as one season. That does not mean Mike Tomlin will put him there, but it gives him another option. Tomlin believes in having three quarterbacks. He could have two on the 53-man roster and one on the practice squad in reserve if one of the two are injured. The Steelers would have to release St. Pierre and then sign him to the practice squad, so if anyone else is interested in him they could offer him a contract as part of their 53-man roster.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Aug 31, 2007 at 07:31 »

Final version (starters bolded, practice squadders in brackets):

QB (3). Roethlisberger, Batch, St. Pierre.

RB (5). Parker, Davenport, Kreider, Davis, Russell.

WR (5). Ward, Holmes, Washington, Wilson, Reid.

TE (3). Miller, Spaeth, Tuman.  [Boyd*]

OL (9). Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Simmons, Colon, Starks, Kemoeatu, Okobi, Capizzi.  [Philip, Stephenson, Stapleton]

DL (7). Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hoke, Kirschke, Eason, McBean.  [Paxson*]

LB (9). Farrior, Foote, Haggans, J. Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Kriewaldt, Wallace, A. Harrison.  

DB (9). Polamalu, Clark, Smith, Carter, Townshend, Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Colclough. [Madison, Lorello]

ST (3). Sepulveda, Reed, Warren.

*Could be bumped for waiver wire signings.  Will sign one additonal player off waivers, only 7 listed as possibles above.

Final tweak: swapped Eason in and Walt Young out, on theory that Mac would get snapped off waivers (Browns?) and Young will not, can just sit by the phone for us to call.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2007 at 10:21 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Aug 31, 2007 at 09:05 »

St. Pea Hair IS eligible for the practice squad...

Great, I think... 2 QBs on the active 53 and a safety valve on the PS.

Interesting.  I didn't know that.  Thanks for the info.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 09:50 »

QB (3)  Ben, Batch, St. Pierre (given Ben's injury history, and the likelihood I think BSP doesn't last on the PS, have to keep 3 QB's)

RB (5)  FWP, Kreider, Najeh, Davis, Russell (Russell is younger, faster, and cheaper, and most agree that Haynes isn't 100%.  If they are serious about letting FWP take some reps as the third down back in the shotgun, Haynes is expendable.)

WR (6)  Ward, Wilson, Holmes, Washington, Reid, Young (If the Steelers decide to go with 5 at WR, I really want to keep Young and get rid of Reid.  I just don't see it happening.  If it's my team, it's Young over Reid.  Young is a big target out wide, and a great redzone possibility.  But with Miller and a 6'7 TE in Spaeth, they may see those two as better options.  I think given Reid's development and injury history, he's a PR only, necessitating 6 at this position if you keep Reid.)

TE (3)  Miller, Spaeth, Tuman

OL (9)  Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Simmons, Colon, Starks, Kemo, Essex, Philip  (This is by far the toughest call.  I think Okobi has been an expensive backup for far too long, but at the same time, I'm wondering if the Starks experiment at both tackles was done to see if they can keep him as backup at both position, meaning they can get rid of Essex, keep Okobi, throw Capizzi on the practice squad, and hope for some time for him to develop before they sign him in the event of injuries.)  There are a couple combinations of players at the end that I think are equally likely to happen.  However, given what has been said about Capizzi, he's PS material.  I don't think anyone in that organization feels comfortable throwing him out there in the third quarter of the Cleveland game after a couple injuries.  He's still a project, too much so to keep on the active roster.  Since they didn't draft a T, I think they have to keep Essex.

DL (6)  Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Hoke, Kirshke, Eason

LB (9)  J. Harrison, Farrior, Foote, Haggans, Timmons, Woodley, A. Harrison, Kriewaldt, Wallace.

CB (9)  Taylor, Troy, Townsend, Clark, Smith, Gay, McFadden, Carter, Madison (I'm calling the cut of Colclough.  It's not pent up anger or a desire to be vindictive.  I just don't think he's that good, and there are few better ways for a new coach to set a tone than to come in, look at a second round pick your team traded up to get, and tell him to hit the road.)

ST (3)  Reed, Sepulveda, Warren
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2007 at 09:51 by bamf16 » Logged

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: