Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 05:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Cap  (Read 1840 times)
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Sep 02, 2007 at 10:23 »

see link:
http://www.burghsportsguys.com/home/index....id=78&Itemid=49

With all of this $ anyone think we go out and get a top FA OL?    

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 11:02 »

Don't forget to add TP and Simmons cap hit in there- that was last updated on May 15th.

Still we should be at least 20 Mil under if I am not forgetting anyone.

Goals IMO:

-Work on extending Marvel
-If Ben has a good season, we may want to start talks with him
-Build some O-line depth
-Nate, McFadden, Coke are RFAs  figure out what to do with them
-And finally, Haggans and Kreider will be UFAs, they may be at the point in their career that a 3rd contract is not good for the Steelers.  If they can return cheap, then consider resigning them.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 11:05 »

And to and to answer your inital question I'd be a shocked a hell in we signed a marquis FA.  

One of three things will happen.  We draft a LG first round. Kemo gets the job.  Finally, we sign a FA like Mahan to fill the spot.
VThrilla18

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 20:59 »

Don't forget to add TP and Simmons cap hit in there- that was last updated on May 15th.

Still we should be at least 20 Mil under if I am not forgetting anyone.

Goals IMO:

-Work on extending Marvel
-If Ben has a good season, we may want to start talks with him
-Build some O-line depth
-Nate, McFadden, Coke are RFAs  figure out what to do with them
-And finally, Haggans and Kreider will be UFAs, they may be at the point in their career that a 3rd contract is not good for the Steelers.  If they can return cheap, then consider resigning them.

Dont forget Ben's new deal that will be signed at years end most likely, I know u said IF. There wont be no IF about it, Baring him some how doing worse than last year or having a serious injury, Ben will have a new deal at seasons end.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2007 at 21:01 by VThrilla18 » Logged

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 23:06 »

Yeah, there's no doubt Ben is extended the Largest Ever Steelers contract after next season.  And they'll likely address the OL on day one fer shure.  Wouldn't kill 'em to address the DL on day one either.  Next season will begin the transition to whatever D Tomlin wants to run - and may offer an insight into why a guy like McBeam made the PC; less likely, stocking up some more on the 3-4 (NT's and undersized college DE's for OLB conversion - we may have seen the last of that).  

So, I'm guessing - OL & prototypical DT/DE early for double naught 8.  More late round RB and WR and a look at day two LB, DB.  Wouldn't kill 'em to make even the slightest effort to get an honest-to-God-good-enough-to-keep-on-the-roster-QB.

Whatever became of that kid they drafted at QB in '06, Omar Jacobs?  Just straight-up outta the league?  Thought we had us a nice project there.

And to echo the sentiments of DC, there will be no big-ticket FA's.  Tomlin's the new HC, but he doesn't have the checkbook.  Yet.

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2007 at 23:10 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 08:08 »

Whatever became of that kid they drafted at QB in '06, Omar Jacobs?  Just straight-up outta the league?  Thought we had us a nice project there.
I think Jacobs is unemployed right now.  He played hopscotch on assorted Practice Squads, Played in NFL Europe, & ended up in the Chef's camp this year.  I don't think he survived the cutdown to the final 53.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 09:25 »

Whatever became of that kid they drafted at QB in '06, Omar Jacobs?  Just straight-up outta the league?  Thought we had us a nice project there.
I think Jacobs is unemployed right now.  He played hopscotch on assorted Practice Squads, Played in NFL Europe, & ended up in the Chef's camp this year.  I don't think he survived the cutdown to the final 53.
I think you're right, KC.  Saw his name pop up on some kffl reports.  Too bad; thought he had promise, but others apparently saw what the Stillers FO saw.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 09:30 »

I don't know if we re-sign Marvel.  He plays out the 2008 season and is 31, he's in a Faneca situation.

Don't think we'll retain Kreider, if Davis shows anything.

Willie Gay may make Coke a moot point as well.

McFadden and Nate will get re-upped.

Haggans may stay, if he can deal with a lower salary than Peazy got and doesn't mind the backup role.  Which means, eh, 50/50.

Ben is the next priority, IMO.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 10:09 »

With the Marvel situation,  what options do we have???

Essex??

If Kemo is the heir to the LG position, then I guess we can draft a R1 Tackle to groom for 09'.  

I know I don't want an expiriment to happen on Ben's blind side and would prefer to have Marvel extended for a couple years so we can groom a successor and let the heir to the LG position get his feet wet.

BTW, I have thought all along that the franchise tag would not be used on Faneca, but, I don't know now.  If we still have some blaring concerns on that left side, a Non-Exclusive franchise for 7-8 Mil in 08' might be worth it, considering we will be a good amount under the cap.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 10:29 »

BTW, I have thought all along that the franchise tag would not be used on Faneca, but, I don't know now.  If we still have some blaring concerns on that left side, a Non-Exclusive franchise for 7-8 Mil in 08' might be worth it, considering we will be a good amount under the cap.
People (myself included) thought he was a whiny bitch in the offseason in 2007...Franchise him, see how much of a fit he throws then. I don't see it happening.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: