Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 22, 2014 at 09:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simmons Signs 4 Year Deal  (Read 2295 times)
PghSteel-43
Old School Member

« on: Sep 02, 2007 at 10:33 »

Steelers' Simmons signs 4-year contract
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Guard Kendall Simmons signed a contract extension with the Steelers today that will keep him on the team through the 2011 season.

Mr. Simmons' four-year extension is worth $24 million, $8.5 million of which is guaranteed.

Mr. Simmons, the Steelers' first-round draft pick in 2002 from Auburn, has been the their starting right guard since his rookie season.

His missed the 2004 season with a knee injury.

Mr. Simmons' signing likely means that there will be no new contract for Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca. Both guards were in the last year of their contracts.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07245/814233-100.stm
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 10:54 »

I wouldn't have said this last year as I was down on the right side of the line,  but, faced with the line issues we'd have next year- good signing.

If he has a great year, then it beats a 50mil contract another team would have shelled out for him.  

I guess Kemo will be groomed for Left guard now?
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 14:53 »

Considering the current market for guards that's probably right where he should be.  

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 15:15 »

Awful, just awful.  IMHO the worst signing the Steelers have made in I don't know how long.  $8 million gauranteed to a man who has had 1 OK year out of 4 is beyond mind boggling, especially when said player has often been beyond bad.  

Rarely do I disagree with a move the Steelers make, but I cannot fathom how this is defensible in the salary cap era.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Winters in Holland

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 08:47 »

I agree with harding on this one.  

Even with another good year, I don't think Simmons was going to be the cream of the OG crop this offseason.

At the very least, I think they could have waited until 8 games into this season, to see if he could follow up his solid performance from last year.

Doing it now is a big risk, and while I'm not defending Alan Faneca, as I think he's been a bitch about the whole contract thing...

...if you wanted to do one thing to take Alan Faneca's head totally out of the game, this was probably it.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 08:49 »

At the very least, I think they could have waited until 8 games into this season
Steelers don't negotiate during the season.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
gahran

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 09:41 »

I'm worried about what I percieve as a lack of concern for weaknesses on the O-line.

I don't understand how committing to simmons addresses that weakness.  

"Who has two thumbs and likes to **** your mother? DIS GUY!"
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 09:44 »

I'm worried about what I percieve as a lack of concern for weaknesses on the O-line.

Simmons is depth at this point.  He's a serviceable starter, nothing more or less, and he got serviceable money.

Pretty much everyone here is baffled about the lack of attention given the OL in the draft, however.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 09:46 »

At least it locks up a starting lineman so we don't lose two in the offseason. I agree though we have an issue on the OL, my guess is the 2008 draft will be OL heavy in the first two rounds much like the 2007 draft was LB heavy. Just a hunch, but you are absolutely correct to have concern over the OL.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 10:57 »

I don't think the $$$ of the deal is bad.  Nor the length of the extension.

But I do wonder if Simmons is a guy that you extend an investment to.  Or if the money could be spent better elsewhere.

Though, considering the market this past off-season, it would be tough to believe that to be true.

The Steelers are in a crunch though with both Faneca and Simmons up as UFAs.  WIth the price for scrubs like Dockery set to go beyond 7/$50M next year, the idea was probably to 1) secure on of the guard spots for 2008 and 2) do it while the bidding was cool.

This extension reduces the knee jerk reaction of drafting OL through the first couple of rounds next year.  I would hope to avoid that as we missed out this year by not taking Grubbs/Woodley.  Porter was cut and a sense of urgency and uncertainty took hold and really led the first two rounds of the draft.  Maybe both guys turn out to be great but I think it set the Steelers up for a knee jerk draft in '08 too.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: