Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 16, 2014 at 08:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Practice Squad players...  (Read 2388 times)
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« on: Sep 02, 2007 at 14:10 »

http://news.steelers.com/article/80793/

WR Dallas Baker, TE Jon Dekker, S Grant Mason, DE Ryan McBean, DT Scott Paxson, C Marvin Philip and WR Gerran Walker. RB Jamaal Branch
hadishon

« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 14:47 »

I would have thought they would want another OL on the practice squad...

What do you think of Jamaal Branch?  Future goal line runner?
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 15:34 »

No Capizzi.

Not that he was a future NFLer, but it would be nice to have an OT on the PS nonetheless.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 17:54 »

Hmm. Did any other team pick Capizzi up for their PS?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
The Emperor
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 20:14 »

Hmm. Did any other team pick Capizzi up for their PS?
I think Clevland did.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
padgfrombf

« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 02:24 »

Thought I read something about that as well, though it's not on kffl.com or scout.com.

With Stephenson on the Steeler PS as strictly an OG, it wouldn't be inconceivable that Capizzi comes back if one of the tackles goes down for the season.  The only thing about raiding another team's practice squad, IIRC, is that the PS would have to put Capizzi on the 53 man roster for the remainder of the season.  However, guys like Essex, like Barrett Brooks before him, seem to have a talent for not getting injured.

The roster as configured is sorta strange, consisting of people that earned their roster spot on merit (Stapleton, Cooper, Davis/Russell, Gay, Eason) over vets or draft picks, yet having a few guys like Spaeth, BSP, and Essex (also Baker and Dekker on the PS), that did little in preseason to earn their keep.  Timmons obviously gets a pass, though he was probably less effective than Arnold Harrison to this point.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 08:44 »

I'm bummed that John Kuhn is nowhere to be found.

I would've much rather seen him make the 53 than Davenport, who I thought once again looked very mediocre this preseason.

I also think it's a tad strange that there's so few O-line guys on the practice squad, especially when we're dangerously thin on the 53 to begin with.

Tomlin is putting one helluva' lot of faith in an O-line that seriously underperformed last year, and really didn't get better in the offseason.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 12:50 »

I heard Capizzi was signed by Cleveland, which is no doubt a Tom Coughlin type move. He'll be on the waiver wire in a week, probably.

Kuhn was signed by Green Bay, he'll probably make their opening day roster since Noah Herron (7th round pick by the Steelers a couple years ago) was placed on IR.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 18:39 »

I heard Capizzi was signed by Cleveland, which is no doubt a Tom Coughlin type move. He'll be on the waiver wire in a week, probably.

Kuhn was signed by Green Bay, he'll probably make their opening day roster since Noah Herron (7th round pick by the Steelers a couple years ago) was placed on IR.
Good for Kuhn, seems like a nice kid, hard worker, just too far off our depth.  Rather see our waiver guys go to GB than Cleveland.

Anthony Madison went to TB.  Not the worst place for him, with that aging D maybe he works his way up.  Again, better than Cleveland.  Mrs. F. said he was very gracious signing autographs at Latrobe.  He and Deshea were very good with the crowd.

The Jamaal Branch signing doesn't make much sense, IMO; I'd have looked for any decent LT.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
VThrilla18

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 20:52 »

WR Dallas Baker. This IMO is a good move. With IMO Ceddy Bear Wilson and Nate Washington 2 question marks going into this season, Hines getting up there in age and lack of size at the WR position Maybe with some work Baker can make the team next year.

TE Jon Dekker. What did Dekker really show? I was unimpressed with him from what I saw and with 3 TE's already on the roster they could used this spot more wisely and tried to PS Rian Wallace or even maybe picked up a FA like Buster Davis or hell even Arnie Harrison. Or even used this slot to pick up a LT.. Dekker is someone you wont ever hear about again until next year in camp when he is shit canned. If he isnt sooner.

S Grant Mason. Mason IMO played well on special teams and showed someday with some work he might be a decient back up at Saftey. Keeping him on doesnt upset me. But if we let him go I wouldn't of cared either.

DE Ryan McBean. I really didn't see much from McBean but I heard good thing about him coming out of college, as a draft pick, the team seen something in him to take him in the draft, So I like the idea of keeping him around to see how he pans out.

DT Scott Paxson. Paxson every time I seen him did nothing at all but get dominated 1-1 by a centerMaybe i didnt pay attention enough, but I dont think keeping him on is something we needed to do.

C Marvin Philip. Like this move, Ive heard nothing but good things about Phillip. just that he needs more time to polish his footwork and maybe add a few lbs. Being short at center also makes this move seem even better.

WR Gerran Walker. Did Walker even catch a fucken pass this pre season? Whats his deal? I mean we didnt see  much of Baker either, but from college we know what Baker has to offer.. Ive never heard of Gerran Walker. And i doubt if i ever will.

RB Jamaal Branch. I dont get this, our RB situation is fine.. Branch is nothing special, again a guy I think we will never hear from again untill he is cut loose.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: