Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 06:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleveland Game  (Read 1916 times)
Hercules50

« on: Sep 05, 2007 at 08:43 »

Well, it's go-time. Football's back.

What are the keys to the Browns game? The Gameday thread isn't up yet so I'm putting this here.

I basically think there is ONE key to this game: the Browns' pass rush against a Steelers' O-Line that could range anywhere from woeful to pretty good. If we can protect Ben, he will carve up the Browns, open possibilities for Willie, and we'll score in the high 30s and put pressure on their offesne which they won't be able to handle. If they can rush us, they could make a game of it.

I'd say the minor keys will be our coverage on defense and special teams. The Browns may be able to move the ball a little bit if Edwards and Winslow can get open.

To me, these are really the only open variables. Are we going to have success running the ball? Hell yes. Will they have success running the ball? No effin' way.

My prediction? Charlie Fry's stint as a starter lasts no longer than about 2.5 quarters and the Steelers roll, 38-13.
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2007 at 08:44 by Hercules50 » Logged
blurjose
N00b

« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 08:58 »

The keys for the Steelers are their keys regardless of who they play...

1. Give Ben some time.
2. Give Parker some room.
3. Defense has to get off the field on third down (which is another way of saying the blitzes either have to work or the coverage better be tighter).  
Ohio_is_for_Buttlovers

« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 09:25 »

The keys for the Steelers are their keys regardless of who they play...

1. Give Ben some time.
2. Give Parker some room.
3. Defense has to get off the field on third down (which is another way of saying the blitzes either have to work or the coverage better be tighter).
Not trying to be a douche but aren't those the keys to any football game though?

1. Give QB time
2. Give RB room
3. Tight Coverage and Effective Blitzes

"I think a plan is just a list of things that don't happen."

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 10:07 »

And for the Browns, the key is to have realistic expectations.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 10:36 »

I don't see how we win this one, guys.  Those former Belichick coordinators have been coaching juggernauts.

Why does Romeo Crennel's voice sound like a bad Billy Crystal voice?  Or is that Hilly Krystal?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 14:28 »

Why does Romeo Crennel's voice sound like a bad Billy Crystal voice?  Or is that Hilly Krystal?
Or it could be the result of hillbilly crystal, such as what reportedly led to the demise of the poster formerly known as P4P.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
blurjose
N00b

« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 15:10 »

Not trying to be a douche but aren't those the keys to any football game though?

1. Give QB time
2. Give RB room
3. Tight Coverage and Effective Blitzes
Fucking douche!  

Okay, fine. I'll be "Browns-specific". :)

Defensively: I don't think that our front will have issues with a Browns line that is on the bad side of mediocre (I'm assuming they will be somewhowat improved). So I trust that we will contain the running attack just fine (not a big leap for our defense). Contain Edwards and Winslow--those are the closest things to playmakers that they have. I know that getting off the field on third down is a key for any game. But I mention it because I think it's the most frustrating aspect of our defense.

Offensively: Pass early. The Browns secondary sucks. Then pound them down with the run. I think we can open up the run via the pass on these guys. We come out guns firing.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 15:17 »

And for the Browns, the key is to have realistic expectations.

When did the Browns draft Sammy Davis Jr.?

And what position does the Candyman play???

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
buccobenny

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 15:19 »

The key to this game will be the same keys that have existed in any football game ever played....

Control the line of scrimmage.
Don't turn the ball over.

The team that does that has won probably 95% of the time in the history of footaball.

But seriously those two very broad "keys" are vastly important to the '07 Steelers. As bad as we played last year... if we improved in each of those two areas a little bit... we would have made the playoffs... and as we proved in '06 when you're in the dance... anything can happen.
Ohio_is_for_Buttlovers

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 15:44 »

I think it would be key to the game if Najeh Davenport pooed in the Browns locker room before the game.  Mental warfare.

"I think a plan is just a list of things that don't happen."

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: