Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 22:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Davis is new starter at fullback...  (Read 2911 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 23:02 »

you have to cut the cord someday...might as well start in game #1 against cleveland.  At least it will give us another option to run the ball when we have split backs in.

I imagine davis will meet and exceed Kreiders amount of carries from all of 2006 in this one game.  he doesnt have a high ceiling, but its a safe bet.

just looked up Krieder's stats from last year...he had one (1) flippin carry for 5 yards all year long.  thats just sad
Kreider's job isn't to carry the ball.  Call Tony Richardson if you want a fullback to run the ball.  Kreider will blow the hole wide open.  Who cares how many carries he has?
Agreed.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 23:23 »

you have to cut the cord someday...might as well start in game #1 against cleveland.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
dcity21

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 23:46 »

hate to play devils advocate BUT...

And someone has probably said this at some point this summer but this is what i think..

Instead of Kreider blowing guys up and opening holes we'll have defenses looking to stop the inside running of Davis (that is, if he is effective in that role). thus, willie gets a little more room outside.. and who knows maybe Davis will blow open some lanes as well.

football is changing, backs are starting to realize that the smashmouth way was slowly killing them and teams are realizing that too.. it is almost a poor investment to have a guy beat himself up when he is capable of gaining yards without doing so.. far and i'm concerned if a guy gets 150 yards on the ground it doesn't matter what kind of runner he is..

i doubt if there will ever be another back like 36 (unless LJ keeps up at the pace he was at last year, which i doubt he will because it will cost him).. IMO we really need to give this a chance and not worry about having a big back/absolutely pounding the ball.. if you can complete a pass on 3rd and 1 or have a runner bounce it outside and get one or even sneak it for one yard you don't deserve to win anyhow.. IMO it's mostly in the push the o-line gets anyhow..

sorry if that's not the way a steeler fan should think, but that's is what i think is happening in football..

that being said the guys above are right.. if this is the case they should have just cut him..

either way bring on sunday.. i can't frick'in wait!! i've had on a different jersey everyday since monday and boy do i get some looks but who the hell cares!!!!! and none outdated (well except for retro's)..

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 01:16 »

They've gotta be shitting me. I understand the need to always be working for improvement and that complacency killed the cat and that Tomlin wants to put his mark on the team and eight billion other cliched jibber jibbar...but, Double U...Tee...to the F?

This team won the gaddam Super Bowl two years ago with Willie Parker and Ben Roethlisberger as their key components. Right on. I was psyched. Let me just be clear, however, that they were hardly the only two involved.

Christ...I've gone on and on about how concerned I am about losing leadership on this team. We cut Logan, Kimo left, Bussie retired, Cowher decided he was more interested in HS dike bball, Peazy was cut, Morgan was cut to make room for the brilliance that truly is Nate Washington (3rd year from THEE Tiffin University), Grimm and Whiz get picked over and bolt, Hoak retired, Okobi and Haynes(Ben's closest friend on the team) get dropped for UDFA rooks, Max Starks gets jerked around all preseason and demoted, Dan Krieder gets made a fool of and seems on the brink of deactivation, McFadden (the best fuckin player on the defense during the second half of 06) gets benched for Hines' buddy Deshea and nobody deserves an explanation because Tomlin has rolled into town.

I was upset that Carey Davis made the team. But like I said maybe the staff-in-the-know determined 34's career would never be the same with his latest injury. I refuse to believe that this cat came off the street, on his last chance, and beat out Dan Kreider on some HOF game performance, though.

Kreider is one of the best fullbacks in the league. If Arians' brilliant offense is so reliant on TE play then why did no end ever accumulate more than 25 recs in a season in his 3 years as a coordinator? < 25 receptions over 16 game season (as they never made the playoffs ranking 21st, 27th, and 25th in his tenure) is a joke. That's one impactful play a game. Kreider hasn't been worth that to us?

I don't get it. Not in the least.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Jason15215
N00b

« Reply #14 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 07:15 »

being an outsider looking in (from Buffalo orig and a Bills fan) I really dont get it. Kreider IMO is the best blocking fullback in the game. I wouldnt be suprised if he asked ot be released if they consistently deactivate him.

Even in Buffalo's hayday with Thurman they still kept Carwell Gardner (a pure blocking FB) in about 1/3 of the plays. I mean the guy couldnt run the ball all that well but he could sure blow up a linebacker or 2 (ask Brian Cox). Heck even Buffalo would use 2 to 3 TE's consistently those years (Keith McKeller, Pete Metzallars, and Butch Rolle).

Parker better get 100+ against Cleveland or the fans will fry Arians and Tomlin!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 07:25 »

Great.  I just bought a friggin' Kreider jersey last Christmas.  Shoulda known they were on sale for a reason.

I'll wear it anyway.  I love the guy, I love how he plays, I love how he overachieves, I love how he looks like an oversized Mack truck walking around.  IMO, one of the best UFA finds we've ever had.  And if I see FWP getting blown up before he gets to the LOS this Sunday, I'm gonna be pissed.

And to put the icing on the cake, my son bought a Faneca jersey.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 07:28 »

And to put the icing on the cake, my son bought a Faneca jersey.
What's wrong with that?  I just finished stitching the captain's "C" on mine!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Hercules50

« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 07:55 »

I think SC hit the nail on the head.

This probably has more to do with how they want the active roster to look plus the types of formations they expect to use, than it does with the idea that Davis is now ahead of Kreider at fullback.

Put simply: we're going to use a lot of one-back sets and Davis is a ST tackling machine, Kreider not so much. On top of that, when they want to spell Parker in the one-back, Davis, obviously, can carry the ball whereas Kreider really can't. This as opposed to Davis in front of Parker in the I 75% of the time.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 08:21 »

I think SC hit the nail on the head.

This probably has more to do with how they want the active roster to look plus the types of formations they expect to use, than it does with the idea that Davis is now ahead of Kreider at fullback.

Put simply: we're going to use a lot of one-back sets and Davis is a ST tackling machine, Kreider not so much. On top of that, when they want to spell Parker in the one-back, Davis, obviously, can carry the ball whereas Kreider really can't. This as opposed to Davis in front of Parker in the I 75% of the time.
Haynes was an escellent 3rd down back, running, catching and blocking.  Very versatile.  I thought Davis beat him out but didn't realize Krieder would also be a casualty of the situation.

Krieder kind of carries that Lambert/Bleier/Webster type of torch.  

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 09:20 »

If it works, I like it.  If not, not.  Maybe we're doing more runs out of spreads rather than power running.  When we want to use power, Kreider's gotta be the man.  With Cleveland's DL hurting like a muthuh, my guess is Arians wants them gassed early so Ben can settle in and throw.  

Maybe I should revise my prediction to 75-0.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: