Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 09:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Davis is new starter at fullback...  (Read 2848 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« on: Sep 06, 2007 at 17:29 »

Carey Davis apparently supplanted Kreider; kind of a surprise.  I suppose I can see the logic as far as this game.

Still, if the FO plans on deactivating Kreider frequently, uh, what was the point of keeping him on the roster?

Here is my personal theory/hope:  The FO is just waiting for Matt Spaeth to grasp enough of the offense so that they can jettison Tuman, and then Kreider takes his active roster spot for the duration of the season.

At least, that's my dream. Thoughts..

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07249/815291-66.stm
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007 at 18:47 by jonzr » Logged

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 17:30 »

Oops, the subheading should read Kreider "DEactivated." Sorry!

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
ajv148

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 17:51 »

Wow.  Davis had a good preseason and all, but I gotta say, this is surprising, and I don't agree with the move.

Davis is clearly more versatile, which is nice, but Kreider is a much better lead blocker at this point.  I think with the questions on the OLine, Kreiders value as a blocker outweighs all of that versatility.

IMO, this speaks to BA actually opening up the offense.  Maybe all the 3 and 4 WR sets, and 3 TE sets weren't just lip service.  If that's the case, and Davis is only in lead blocking 5 times a game, then I understand.  Still surprising.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 17:55 »

Was Kreider playing STs during the preseason?  Can't remember.

Could come down to a STs issue.  Even if Kreider was on STs, Davis stood out a few times on STs during the preseason.

With the idea that the fullback position will be used less and less under Arians, it may come down to the better STer.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 18:04 »

Still, if the FO plans on deactivating Kreider frequently, uh, what was the point of keeping him on the roster?
 Agreed. Kinda surprising considering the only reason to have Kreider on the team was to do most of the lead blocking for FWP.  
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 19:03 »

I also do not the decision, and will be severly pissed if it adversly affects our abililty to run the ball.

The only good thing about it is it'll give us something concrete on which to do an initial evaluation of Tomlin's gameplanning skills.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 19:04 »

Wow... thats surprising, really.  I guess the point is to keep him on this year as insurance, and what I thought initially, to allow Davis and Russell to ease into that role.

I guess thats one less FA we have to resign this offseason.
buccobenny

« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 19:35 »

Wow.... Horrible move IMO. The proof will be "in the pudding" as they say I guess. But this is as close to "irrefutable" eveidence against BA as you can get. All summer long "I heard.... no... we're still going to run the ball!" "Spread offense doesn't mean we can't run!" "Remeber the AFC playoffs from '06!"

Well it's true... we were a pass first team in those playoff games.... but guess what we did when we got the early lead... we ran the ball.... ALOT. Our inabilaty to do this will result in too many 3 and outs (even if the Offense is going good) Thus the Defense will be on the field way too long.

You want to fuck around like this in week one Vs. Cleveland that's one thing.... but if this becomes a year-long trend.... we may be in trouble.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 22:19 »

you have to cut the cord someday...might as well start in game #1 against cleveland.  At least it will give us another option to run the ball when we have split backs in.

I imagine davis will meet and exceed Kreiders amount of carries from all of 2006 in this one game.  he doesnt have a high ceiling, but its a safe bet.

just looked up Krieder's stats from last year...he had one (1) flippin carry for 5 yards all year long.  thats just sad

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 22:41 »

you have to cut the cord someday...might as well start in game #1 against cleveland.  At least it will give us another option to run the ball when we have split backs in.

I imagine davis will meet and exceed Kreiders amount of carries from all of 2006 in this one game.  he doesnt have a high ceiling, but its a safe bet.

just looked up Krieder's stats from last year...he had one (1) flippin carry for 5 yards all year long.  thats just sad
Kreider's job isn't to carry the ball.  Call Tony Richardson if you want a fullback to run the ball.  Kreider will blow the hole wide open.  Who cares how many carries he has?

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: