Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 22:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Davis is new starter at fullback...  (Read 2712 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 09:41 »

Er, isn't this old news?

I seem to remember reading some article a couple weeks ago that said Davis was #1 on the depth chart at FB.

Maybe people glossed over it or didn't believe it (include me here), but there was obviously some truth to the report.

Regardless, hope Davis shows more on Sundays at FB than he has so far in the preseason because short of that one great run he had and some so-so blocking, he's been marginal at best.

We'll see in a couple days.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 12:50 »

If it works, I like it.  If not, not.
My thoughts exactly.  I'm willing to give the new coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.  They probably know what they're looking for out of the FB position this year and they apparently think that Davis gives it to them.  I'd expect we'll see as much Heat in the backfield as we will Davis.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 14:56 »

Maybe we're doing more runs out of spreads rather than power running

I remember reading a Tomlin quote shortly after he was hired...  He said something like, You can block the 8th guy in the box ( which is what we did with Kreider under Cowher) or you can scheme the 8th guy out of the box with the spread offense....
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 17:01 »

I think Kreider might be active on gameday.  I believe the Steelers usually have 3 RBs (which Davis certainly could qualify as one) and one FB active.  

Russell is inactive.  

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Reid is inactive on gameday.  Leaves us with 4 WRs but if Arians really wants to run the 3 TE sets, I don't see the need for a 5th WR who plays on 2-4 plays per game (and can't play the return game well enough) v. having a guy like Kreider available for 10-15 plays with Davis available on STs and spelling Kreider.  

Cooper, BSP, Arnie Harrison, Darnell Stapleton, Russell, Reid, Essex, and Colclough/Gay are possible inactives in my mind.

Though maybe Tomlin thinks that, like Simmons as a backup OC, Davis is a 'tweener and allows Tomlin to suit up 3 backs instead of 4.  

I wouldn't fault Davis for not doing much offensively after the first game or two.  Coaching staff put him in at FB after that, to see if he could handle it.  Not much offense but guess they felt he was adequate.  Showed up on STs with big hits all throughout.

Logan moreso limped his way off the team than was shoved off.  Not a staple player IMO.  

I do think there would have been mutiny had Kreider been cut loose.  Not a money issue there, so I think the vets would have had a more difficult time accepting it.  

The Browns are probably a good testing ground for Davis.  Can he do it against the lesser of NFL teams?  If not, it's a short-lived experiment.

Edit:  I'll be most irked if Reid is active, being unable to lock down the starting return position, with Rossum being active too.  

And there better be a coupla 3 TE sets if all three TEs will be active.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007 at 17:17 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
blurjose
N00b

« Reply #24 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 17:07 »

I think most of this has been covered in other posts but...

I'm skeptical in as much as we all know Kreider is as good a blocking FB as there is. I suppose the major upside is the fact that a defense might actually have to consider the fact that our FB might get some carries now. I wouldn't mind a few quick handoffs to the FB to shake things up.

I guess we'll find out soon how this pans out.

One thing I don't remember about the 70's (I was a young one then)...Was Bleir a good blocker? I know he was a good running FB.  
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 16:44 »

On a side note, my cousin from the 'Burgh sent me a signed 8X10 of Danny K.  Also got a pic of him signing it.  So I hope he stays around for a while.  Just a great Steeler.

Also received a signed McFadden pic.  

My cousin asked if I wanted a signed Ced Wilson photo.

I declined.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 20:05 »

I guess it didn't matter much at the end of the day.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Sep 09, 2007 at 21:08 »

Cooper, BSP, Arnie Harrison, Darnell Stapleton, Russell, Reid, Essex, and Colclough/Gay are possible inactives in my mind.

Not a bad guess.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: