Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 22, 2014 at 04:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Douchette...  (Read 1626 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 09, 2007 at 21:13 »

Sepulveda did a great job in the game, so, once again, bite me, Douchette.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007 at 21:15 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 08:17 »

See "Eagles, Philadelphia--Week 1" to understand why we got Rossum.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 08:24 »

Let me also add something in reference to the stuff about Philip and Capizzi.  Teams regularly release players, then pick them back up at a later time.  I would suspect that the Steelers, if they really think Capizzi has talent, will make an effort to get him back into the fold at some point--hopefully, after they cut St. Pea-Hair for the 57th time.  Tomlin was kind in his assessment that he wanted Holmes to "concentrate" on receiver.  Translation:  "He can't catch punts, so we're just going to let someone else take care of that."  Good move by the Steelers, and I doubt that it ends up costing us much in the long-term.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 09:34 »

The only mystery is why Bouchette is allowed to write such slop.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
mrblack66
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 10:17 »

Bouchtette has been bothering me more and more.

If you ever listen him on a pre-game show,  he belittles any question with a "how could possibly be asking that question, to me, at this moment" tone. The guy obviously thinks if he should have gotten the call to replace Donahoe.

Sepulveda is looking like one of the greatest 4th rd picks in a longggg time.  

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
bucc-o-pain
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 10:49 »

Bouchette is a terrible writer. He is a pompous jock-sniffer who never adds anything of substance.  

Tanqueray and Tab and keep 'em comin'.  - Big Ern
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 11:27 »

Bouchtette has been bothering me more and more.

If you ever listen him on a pre-game show,  he belittles any question with a "how could possibly be asking that question, to me, at this moment" tone. The guy obviously thinks if he should have gotten the call to replace Donahoe.

Sepulveda is looking like one of the greatest 4th rd picks in a longggg time.
I was wondering if it was just me.  I keep hearing things on the radio about Bouchette being all-knowing about Steelers football and I'm never impressed.  Then he starts throwing out his pre-game comments  that come across as "I don't know why everyone's talking about that.  Here's what's going to happen."

And that off hand comment about Sepulveda?  Damn, doesn't even say his name just says "a rookie punter."

And the title of the article, that the pickup doesn't make sense after the reason:
"Tomlin explained that he did not want Holmes to return punts because he wanted him to concentrate on his position as the team's starting split end."

Umm that makes sense to me.  The problem isn't thast it doesn't make sense the problem is that Bouchette doesn't like the idea.

DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 11:41 »

Bouchette has been jibber-jabbing about Sepulveda every chance he gets. Sometimes when the chance isn't even there. He hated the trade, the pick and i'm pretty sure he hates Sepulveda as a result.

The bottom line yesterday was:

Five punts
Zero touchbacks
Zero returns

That's how you improve the special teams.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

padgfrombf

« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 11:49 »

Coach Mike Tomlin wanted to improve his team when the Steelers acquired return man Allen Rossum from the Atlanta Falcons last week for an undisclosed, conditional draft pick that's likely a seventh-rounder.

Which was the same terms of a deal that Cowbert made a couple of years back with the Eagles for the immortal Freddie Milons.  IIRC, that was strictly insurance and when none of the Steeler PR's went down with an injury, the Steelers never activated Milons and saved their R7 pick.  This is the same deal for a much better player.

Rossum, now with his fourth NFL team, made the Pro Bowl three seasons ago after he averaged 12.4 yards a punt return, and a year after he averaged 14.0 yards. Since then, Rossum averaged 8.5 yards in 2005 and 8.0 yards in 2006.

Rossum was a good punt returner and he still may have it in him at one month shy of his 32nd birthday. But Tomlin had a better punt returner on his own team, Santonio Holmes. Holmes averaged 10.2 yards on punt returns last season and scored a touchdown, one more than Rossum scored in his past two seasons

I think Easy Ed has the best Steeler inside connections of any of the local writers and is worth a read on that basis (and only that basis).  However, Bouchette is stone cold awful with anything to do with numbers.  Punt return average is based only on punts that are actually returned, which can make a difference.  

Let's look at Rossum and Holmes in 2006, not Rossum's best year, this from nfl.com:

Punt Returns

PR Chances:  Rossum 50, Holmes 47
No. Fair Catches:  Rossum 13, Holmes 21
No. Punts Retnd:  Rossum 37, Holmes 26
Return Yardage:  Rossum 288, Holmes 264
Avg., Ret. Punts:  Rossum 7.8, Holmes 10.2
Avg., All Punt Chances:  Rossum 5.8, Holmes 5.6
No. of Touchdowns:  Rossum 0, Holmes 1
No. of Fumbles:  Rossum 0, Holmes 4

Obviously Holmes was the more conservative return man with all those fair catches, yet he's also the guy with 4 fumbles.  Overall, old man Rossum has the better overall return average and far few mistakes.  Reid or Holmes may eventually be the #1 PR/KR, but Rossum is much better than either at present.

It's not the seventh-round draft choice the Steelers will give up for Rossum that's a problem -- they routinely cut their seventh-round pick after his first training camp anyway -- it's the roster spot they gave up. Because they acquired Rossum, they released second-year center Marvin Philip, leaving them with no backup center with NFL experience at the position.

And how many actual NFL games has Philip played at center?

And because they signed Philip to the practice squad, they did not sign 6-9 Jason Capizzi, who showed promise as a rookie left tackle in training camp.

C'mon, Ed, the last guy on the 53 is far more important than any on the practice squad, and Marvin is replacable.  If there are a raft of O-line injuries, the Steelers can re-sign Capizzi at any time, even if he's on another team's practice squad.  So what's the big deal here?

Yunz are already giving Ed a pretty good working over on Sepulveda, so I won't kick the carcass further.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007 at 11:55 by padgfrombf » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2007 at 11:51 »

Fun stat of the day: Today Sepulveda has 3 punts inside the 10. That's 3 more than Gardocki had all last season.

(He's had 4 inside the 20. Gardocki had 11 all last season.)

My theory is that Sepulveda kicks the balls so damned hard that a goodly portion of air leaks out as it travels the arc, and by the time it hits the ground it's dead.  

THUMP.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: