Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 18:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next weeks game  (Read 2827 times)
Hercules50

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 10:35 »

I wonder if NFL players are able to purchase insurance policies protecting themselves from career-ending injuries.

I feel sure that they are.  I remember hearing that Leinart, Peyton Manning, etc. took out policies before returning to school for an extra year.  I feel sure that pro players are allowed to do such; in fact, I think that Jason Williams had such a policy prior to his motorcycle accident.

What's interesting, though, is that all those guys are high-profile stars slated to make tens of millions of dollars (plus endorsements). Also, they play positions that are unlikely to suffer career-ending injury (when compared to other football positions). So for them, it's a different investment and there's different kinds of risks and so forth.

I just wonder what kind of insurance deal a scrub TE could get.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 11:56 »

I wonder if NFL players are able to purchase insurance policies protecting themselves from career-ending injuries. I could see, though, how insurance providers would be really wary about providing such insurance. Or its so expensive that a player would not want it.

I don't think it's a question of if they're able and more an issue of if they're proactive enough.  

I'm guessing they probably get some kind of disability insurance through the PA and maybe even their team, but that's not to stop them from going out and buying an individual disability policy for a couple million to supplement.    The cost isn't pennies on the dollar, but it's not exorbitant either; not even for a guy making the league minimum.

IIRC, McGahee had one prior to his injury @ Miami.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2007 at 17:34 »

In cases like this, does the team or league ensure he is well taken care of for life?

I think he gets disability pay and Mike Webster's old stationwagon.....
Jason15215
N00b

« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 12:56 »

Everett's probably gonna walk again (freakin miracle). Like the scene from Rocky 2 in the hospital.
Rocky played by JP Losman
Adrian played by Kevin Everett
Mick played by Marv Levy

JP: Listen if you dont want me mixing it up with the Steelers anymore we can make out some other kind of way you know.

Everett: There's 1 think I want you to do for me

JP: What

Everett: Come here

JP: What?

Everett: (smiling) Win. (music starts paying). Win.

Marv: What are we wating for!!!!

Sorry you guys are toast now lol!!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 12:59 by Jason15215 » Logged
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 15:08 »

Mick played by Marv Levy

Uh, one and the same?

Good luck Sunday.  Very much hoping for an injury free, hard hitting game.

Buffalo worries me because of the "let's win one for Everett" factor and they just seem like a team that isn't that impressive on paper, but always manages to keep it close.

One thing's for sure, I'm not going anywhere near that (-10) spread.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007 at 15:08 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: