Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 16:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers #1 DVOA/#4 DAVE  (Read 1230 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 12, 2007 at 08:44 »

For you Supah Geeks who like this sort of thing.  More accurate than yardage metrics, impossible to explain without bullshitting, it's DVOA and DAVE!

They rank our D #1, our STs #1, and our offense #8.  

Now, can we play every game against the Browns?

Actually, was thinking about how we came out firing agains the Texans and Titans in 2005, killing weak opponents, and that season ended OK.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50

« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 08:55 »

Interesting!

I haven't seen an NFL D stonewall an offense like that in forever. Aside from one drive, the Browns did absolutly nothing.

I can't wait to see how Tomlin's prep is rewarded in a big game against a quality opponent. I think that, unlike with Cowher, I will go into such games without feeling nauseated.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 09:19 »

You can also hyperlink to the individual D, O, and ST rankings.  Against the pass, our D was #2, against the rush #2, combined they were #1.  Our pass O was #4, but rushing was only #18.  Which, actually, seems about right.  Our rushing offense only really took hold in the second half, when our line wore them down.

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 09:31 »

I think Buffalo will be a little more up to the task, but still, they have a beat up secondary and 2 starters IRd last week.   Not to mention a rookie RB, Lossman, and who are their receivers?

We may hold these rankings into next week
padgfrombf

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 11:50 »

Losman was wretched against Denver.  You have to assume that the Steelers will be able to stuff the run even more effectively than the Broncs.  If Losman and the passing game continue to tank, it could get ugly for them.  If you could turn back the clock, Peerless Price, et al would be OK, but not in 2007.

Denver gave up a ST touchdown and missed two FG's to almost hand the game to the Bills.  The Steelers may well be in the position to just not beat themselves at Heinz this week.  Don't know what effect Everett's condition will have, though.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 11:58 »

Don't know what effect Everett's condition will have, though.
I think the dramatic improvement in his condition will make it almost a non-issue.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2007 at 20:08 »

Don't know what effect Everett's condition will have, though.
I think the dramatic improvement in his condition will make it almost a non-issue.
Yeah, I knew that guy was faking.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 00:14 »

nice pensod,

i can always rely on you to see the dark side of the force....

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
JerseySteeler

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 07:45 »

Actually, was thinking about how we came out firing agains the Texans and Titans in 2005, killing weak opponents, and that season ended OK.
Funny.

After the game I said the same thing to the people that I was watching with.  Except I did add that the first game that season versus the Titans was won 34-7.  Eerie man...eeerrriiieeee  :terribletowel2:  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 08:01 »

Funny.

After the game I said the same thing to the people that I was watching with.  Except I did add that the first game that season versus the Titans was won 34-7.  Eerie man...eeerrriiieeee  :terribletowel2:
The Ben of 2007 > the Ben of 2005.  In 2005, Ben had some mid-season injuries that threatened to sink the season, too.  We can hope that the OL firms up and we can avoid that.  Also in 2005, the defense was nowhere near its postseason form (e.g., the MNF fiasco versus the Colts, the Bengals shootout).  I don't think we're any worse in terms of personnel, and possibly better if older at some spots, and I think our pass D is (while still something of a work in progress) is more consistent.  Plus, this year LeBeau is unchained, so I expect big things in big games.

For 2006, it comes down to making sure the OL plays better, especially in pass pro on the left side, in getting a consistent run game going, and making sure the special teams play consistently.  That's it.  Turnovers are always something you want to minimize; third down conversions are always a benchmark.  But if we can get the OL, run game, and STs up to par, we'll be very good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: