Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 04:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hines says Pats cheated against us...  (Read 2555 times)
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Sep 13, 2007 at 05:05 »

ESPN is reporting that Hines Ward said the Pats had inside information that was used to beat us in the 2002 AFCC game.  Kinda sounds like sour grapes, but if any proof came out about that particular game, that'd be interesting.

Peazy was also quoted saying that he believes that Pats have cheated a lot in the past.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007 at 05:12 by vcuram » Logged

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
The Emperor

« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 08:23 »

ESPN is reporting that Hines Ward said the Pats had inside information that was used to beat us in the 2002 AFCC game.  Kinda sounds like sour grapes, but if any proof came out about that particular game, that'd be interesting.

Peazy was also quoted saying that he believes that Pats have cheated a lot in the past.
I just hope some big mafia guy lost a lot of $ on these games and seeks payback.  Bye bye BB.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
Hercules50

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 08:34 »

What about the Duce Staley hamstring punch? That story really bugged me even though while I've always kind of thought they played dirty, I usually attributed that to sour grapes on my part, and assumed that all teams did similar things.

I'm not sure how much of a deal this whole issue is. I think it's poor sportsmanship, but I wonder how much it really helped them.  
jasonic

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 09:46 »

yes, I'm sort of on the fence as well as the effectiveness it would've had, except for the fact that if they know what D is coming, they can change the game with one big play.  It's not like they're the browns with mediocre talent, they still have to make the plays, but games are won by inches and that extra edge as you all know.  it's really impossible to know the depth of the domino effect with this one.  to me it feels like if you found out tiger was kicking his ball out from under bushes when no one was looking on his way to his 19th major.  

I'm just glad for the fact that we have a new chant on sundays at the bar whenever that Pats do something good, "cheat, cheat, etc..."

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
The Emperor

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 09:56 »

This is a damn shame!  The punishment better be hard, I am not talking about taking a second round pick from them.  I think five   1st round picks ( as I believe the Timerwolfs got) and at ban on BB would be what I would impose.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
dcity21

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 11:39 »

yeah, i hesitate to judge too much because i do hate the patsies.. and i've tried to think well this probably isn't a big deal but i just can't make myself believe that.. I think people are seriously under estimating the amount of value that these videos would have!!

yeah sure teams change up their signals, but not in the middle of the game.. so, yeah sure it may take them until the half to figure out what the signals mean but that still leaves plenty of time to rape a defense.. and no you don't need all that much talent to do that.. and it really does make you wonder now about how all those no name players put together the runs that they did..

Sean Salisbury said there is nothing wrong with what they did and i was instantly furious (but that shouldn't surprise me b/c he sounds like an idiot no matter what he is talking about).. well, i think he is an idiot and want to hear from a more knowledgable ex-player on what they think.. or even someone like John Clayton. HAS anyone seen/heard anything that Clayton wrote or said about this?

i'll tell you what though, in the interview i saw with hines on FSN he was pretty calm about it but his demeanor indicted to me that he was absolutely f'in furious about the fact that they had cheated..

i'm not too worried about it though, cuz i think Roger knows the significance and will act accordingly.. i sure as hell hope it isn't something tacky, like next years 3rd and 4th round picks (yeah it sucks but that's not going to stop it)..  

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 11:44 »

I'm not sure how much of a deal this whole issue is. I think it's poor sportsmanship, but I wonder how much it really helped them.
Look at it this way.

If you knew exactly what kind of formation the defense was going to line up in; where the blitz was coming from; zone vs. man; what each audible meant; etc., you don't think it makes it much easier to call "the perfect play" on offense to counteract what the defense it doing?

And now, switch that up.  Your defense vs. their offense.  How tough can it be to play defense when you know where the play is going and who's getting the rock?

The old expression, "it's like they were in the huddle" carries a whole new meaning now.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Hercules50

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 12:03 »

That's the essential question this investigation has to uncover.

No question, if the Patriots were able to get information with that amount of detail and specificity, then forfeiture of past games has to be discussed.  
mrblack66

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 14:39 »

this story gets better every day

for anyone to think that knowing defensive signals does not help the offense are morons. put it this way, if it didn't help them, why would they have risked doing it for all these years. Dynasty my ASS!

The only thing I cant explain is why no one has reported this earlier, since it seems everyone knew it was going down??

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 14:45 »

Does this become as big as the Black Sox scandal?  Is Beardy the new Shoeless Joe?  Is Goodell the new Kenesaw Mountain Landis?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 16:40 »

You've all overlooked the most intriguing angle of the story:  What will Gisele say?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 17:25 »

What will Gisele say?

It's been a few years since my last French class, but I believe the English translation for that name is Cumgirl.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 17:34 »

What will Gisele say?

It's been a few years since my last French class, but I believe the English translation for that name is Cumgirl.
Oh.  Then likely it'll be something like, "Gurgle, gurgle, ralph."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jrobnz

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 18:37 »

Shady Brady and Bill Belicheat

busboy36

« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 19:41 »

Just saw on ESPN that the Pats will lose an '08 1st round draft pick if they make the playoffs this year.  Don't know what happens if they miss the playoffs...

IMO, that's not enough.  However, it will be interesting to see how well the Patriots perform with the spotlight on them all year long.  They can't cheat anymore as long as they are under the magnifying glass like this.  Maybe we will see a difference.

"I hated putting on that purple uniform, and I hated that raven bird. What really ticked me off is when we played Pittsburgh our whole stadium seemed to be filled with Pittsburgh fans." Tackle Orlando Brown, on playing in Baltimore for Art Modell's Ravens (1999).
Hercules50

« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 19:43 »

Too bad they're playing SD at home. Can't wait to see the Pats on the road and the reception they'll get.  
jasonic

« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 09:19 »

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070914/D8RL7E700.html

not sure this is stiff enough but whatever, we'll see how they play now that everyone is watching.  they should have suspended him at least for one game though.  Weird how there's so much coming out from other teams and players that it's a "known" thing the Pats are dirty cheaters and it took an ex-employee to bust them years later.  Bigger story if Brady can hold on to Gisele after they're losing.....

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 09:25 »

Don't worry, Beardy will be peeing his panties in anticipation of the next opportunity to discuss how "disrespected" his team was by Goodell.

God, how I hate the Patriots and all that they stand for.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 09:39 »

Weird how there's so much coming out from other teams and players that it's a "known" thing the Pats are dirty cheaters and it took an ex-employee to bust them years later. Bigger story if Brady can hold on to Gisele after they're losing.....

Well, he probably had a real good idea of what was going on, while other teams only suspected.  Mangini knew what to look for, and probably took great delight in sticking it to Bellicheat the first chance he got after the way the asshole treated him.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 11:09 »

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070914/D8RL7E700.html

not sure this is stiff enough but whatever, we'll see how they play now that everyone is watching.  they should have suspended him at least for one game though.  Weird how there's so much coming out from other teams and players that it's a "known" thing the Pats are dirty cheaters and it took an ex-employee to bust them years later.  Bigger story if Brady can hold on to Gisele after they're losing.....

It's not fucking stiff enough.  It's a slap on the wrist.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
calig23
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 12:42 »

Weird how there's so much coming out from other teams and players that it's a "known" thing the Pats are dirty cheaters and it took an ex-employee to bust them years later. Bigger story if Brady can hold on to Gisele after they're losing.....

Well, he probably had a real good idea of what was going on, while other teams only suspected.  Mangini knew what to look for, and probably took great delight in sticking it to Bellicheat the first chance he got after the way the asshole treated him.
Except for the fact that Mangini could have done it last year. Unless Belichek wasn't trying it in any of the three games against the Jets last year. Of course, then you have to wonder why he would have been doing it for this game.

"It's easy to sit at home and stuff burritos into your mouth until you're about to explode." - Stan Savran on Mark Madden.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 15:11 »

Of course, then you have to wonder why he would have been doing it for this game.

thats simple...pressure.  first game of the season, division rival, heavy players in the FA market during the offseason, havent won a super bowl in 2 years.  BB was/is determined to win it all again this year.  And im sure he hates Mangini with a passion.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
TwistedLemon

« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 16:37 »

How badly will the loss of a first round pick really hurt, after all, dont they have San Fran's first round pick in addition to their own?  By making the playoffs, it is not like they will not have a pick until late round 2, instead, they would still have a first rounder (most likely higher than what theirs was) plus their regular picks from round 2 on.

If they were to miss the playoffs, they loose their 2 and 3 round picks.  Again, they have 2 first rounders.  They would be able to either use both picks in the first, or trade one for additional spots, such as a late round 1 and a 3, or a round 2 and 3, or some combination.

Basically, it really does not hit them like it would other teams and is not as severe as it sounds.

My opinion anyways.

"My reality check bounced"
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: