Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 19, 2014 at 15:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hines says Pats cheated against us...  (Read 2270 times)
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Sep 13, 2007 at 05:05 »

ESPN is reporting that Hines Ward said the Pats had inside information that was used to beat us in the 2002 AFCC game.  Kinda sounds like sour grapes, but if any proof came out about that particular game, that'd be interesting.

Peazy was also quoted saying that he believes that Pats have cheated a lot in the past.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007 at 05:12 by vcuram » Logged

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
The Emperor

« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 08:23 »

ESPN is reporting that Hines Ward said the Pats had inside information that was used to beat us in the 2002 AFCC game.  Kinda sounds like sour grapes, but if any proof came out about that particular game, that'd be interesting.

Peazy was also quoted saying that he believes that Pats have cheated a lot in the past.
I just hope some big mafia guy lost a lot of $ on these games and seeks payback.  Bye bye BB.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
Hercules50

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 08:34 »

What about the Duce Staley hamstring punch? That story really bugged me even though while I've always kind of thought they played dirty, I usually attributed that to sour grapes on my part, and assumed that all teams did similar things.

I'm not sure how much of a deal this whole issue is. I think it's poor sportsmanship, but I wonder how much it really helped them.  
jasonic

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 09:46 »

yes, I'm sort of on the fence as well as the effectiveness it would've had, except for the fact that if they know what D is coming, they can change the game with one big play.  It's not like they're the browns with mediocre talent, they still have to make the plays, but games are won by inches and that extra edge as you all know.  it's really impossible to know the depth of the domino effect with this one.  to me it feels like if you found out tiger was kicking his ball out from under bushes when no one was looking on his way to his 19th major.  

I'm just glad for the fact that we have a new chant on sundays at the bar whenever that Pats do something good, "cheat, cheat, etc..."

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
The Emperor

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 09:56 »

This is a damn shame!  The punishment better be hard, I am not talking about taking a second round pick from them.  I think five   1st round picks ( as I believe the Timerwolfs got) and at ban on BB would be what I would impose.

Life is to short to root for a losing team!
dcity21

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 11:39 »

yeah, i hesitate to judge too much because i do hate the patsies.. and i've tried to think well this probably isn't a big deal but i just can't make myself believe that.. I think people are seriously under estimating the amount of value that these videos would have!!

yeah sure teams change up their signals, but not in the middle of the game.. so, yeah sure it may take them until the half to figure out what the signals mean but that still leaves plenty of time to rape a defense.. and no you don't need all that much talent to do that.. and it really does make you wonder now about how all those no name players put together the runs that they did..

Sean Salisbury said there is nothing wrong with what they did and i was instantly furious (but that shouldn't surprise me b/c he sounds like an idiot no matter what he is talking about).. well, i think he is an idiot and want to hear from a more knowledgable ex-player on what they think.. or even someone like John Clayton. HAS anyone seen/heard anything that Clayton wrote or said about this?

i'll tell you what though, in the interview i saw with hines on FSN he was pretty calm about it but his demeanor indicted to me that he was absolutely f'in furious about the fact that they had cheated..

i'm not too worried about it though, cuz i think Roger knows the significance and will act accordingly.. i sure as hell hope it isn't something tacky, like next years 3rd and 4th round picks (yeah it sucks but that's not going to stop it)..  

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 11:44 »

I'm not sure how much of a deal this whole issue is. I think it's poor sportsmanship, but I wonder how much it really helped them.
Look at it this way.

If you knew exactly what kind of formation the defense was going to line up in; where the blitz was coming from; zone vs. man; what each audible meant; etc., you don't think it makes it much easier to call "the perfect play" on offense to counteract what the defense it doing?

And now, switch that up.  Your defense vs. their offense.  How tough can it be to play defense when you know where the play is going and who's getting the rock?

The old expression, "it's like they were in the huddle" carries a whole new meaning now.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Hercules50

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 12:03 »

That's the essential question this investigation has to uncover.

No question, if the Patriots were able to get information with that amount of detail and specificity, then forfeiture of past games has to be discussed.  
mrblack66

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 14:39 »

this story gets better every day

for anyone to think that knowing defensive signals does not help the offense are morons. put it this way, if it didn't help them, why would they have risked doing it for all these years. Dynasty my ASS!

The only thing I cant explain is why no one has reported this earlier, since it seems everyone knew it was going down??

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2007 at 14:45 »

Does this become as big as the Black Sox scandal?  Is Beardy the new Shoeless Joe?  Is Goodell the new Kenesaw Mountain Landis?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: