Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 07:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Throwback uni's today  (Read 2978 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 08:32 »

I love the throwbacks.  Not because I'd want to see us wearing them every week, I just think it's cool to see what used to be.  

I'd have preferred the plain black helmets, but it was still funky to see the yellow ones.  However, I do think they should have gone with gray facemasks.

But hey, I even thought the ones from 95 were great.  Or did they wear those in 94?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Cogitobsw

« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 08:38 »

I love the throwbacks.  Not because I'd want to see us wearing them every week, I just think it's cool to see what used to be.  

I agree . . . I love the fact that they look silly.  I just wish the Bills wore throwbacks at the game too.

It's nice to see what the guys used to wear.  Maybe they should wear throwback equipment too :)

Cogito Ergo Sum
Hercules50

« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 08:54 »

I love the throwbacks.  Not because I'd want to see us wearing them every week, I just think it's cool to see what used to be. 

I agree . . . I love the fact that they look silly.  I just wish the Bills wore throwbacks at the game too.

It's nice to see what the guys used to wear.  Maybe they should wear throwback equipment too :)
Haha, I would love throwback equipment!

I'm sure that scientifically this is wrong, but I sometimes wonder if the number of concussions and head injuries you see in the game today is in part because the equipment gives these guys a false sense of security.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 09:51 »

I actually said that if they wanted to do a real throwback, lose the facemasks!  Or at least go back to the plastic two-bars or the YA Title clear plastic.

I'm sure that scientifically this is wrong, but I sometimes wonder if the number of concussions and head injuries you see in the game today is in part because the equipment gives these guys a false sense of security.

That may be true to some degree.  Surely you feel "protected" so that you're more likely to fly around.  But I also think the size, speed, and conditioning of players is a huge factor.  You have 300 pounders who can run a 4.7.  Also, not to get on the soap box, but I think that players have much poorer fundamental technique these days in blocking and tackling.  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 10:05 »

Tuned in for the Steeler game and thought I was watching the Packers.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 10:20 »

I didn't mind the yellow helmets, those were kinda cool. But the uniform needed to be black, not brown charcoal. Plus, I don't think it was an actual throwback from a specific year, but a combination from many years. So they could have used the black jerseys, yellow numbers, and yellow helmet....Love the block number too. In the end though, throwback uniforms = bad, and it all had to do with the color.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #26 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 10:22 »

Also thought the CBS coverage was a throwback. Shotty graphics coordination, poor camera work, and how many times did the announcer say the first carry on third down was Davenport, when it was clearly FWP?

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #27 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 10:29 »

I stand corrected. More poor work on CBS. I am sure they said it was a combination.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 10:31 »

I don't know if they mentioned the uniforms being year specific, but base on this info, it look like an early 60s uniform, with the logo helmet they added in 1962. Not sure how accurate that site is...not up on my Steelers history.

http://www.southernsteelfanclub.com/uniform.html

I believe this card is from the 1962 season.

mrblack66
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #29 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 12:24 »

I missed the game but what I saw in the highlights looked pretty cool. I dont want come off as a lil fruitcup, but the pants should have been all black or.. white with the wide black stripe. thank you.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: