Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 23, 2014 at 05:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unbridled Optimism  (Read 1405 times)
Cogitobsw

« on: Sep 17, 2007 at 15:51 »

I realize it's early in the season yet.

I realize we've beat up on some bad teams.

But looking at the schedule, and the way that Cincy and the Ravens have been struggling.  The way that Denver, Jacksonville, Miami and St. Louis have been playing, the only game on the schedule that scares me a lot is New England.  I think we have a very real shot at beating any other team on our schedule.

Will we win them all?

No, probably not.

But I feel a lot better than I did two weeks ago.

After New England, I think our next hardest has to be in Baltimore.  Then what Denver?  After that there are a lot of very winnable games.

Yes, I realize how wrong it is to base predictions on two weeks of play, but that's two weeks more of information than we had when doing so at the beginning of the season, and so far the info's been mostly good for the Steelers and mostly bad for everyone on the schedule (except New England).

Cogito Ergo Sum
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 16:22 »

No doubt:  it's looking more good than it is bad.  And we have us one hella new HC.  Tomlin is the shit.  You see him walking out on the field and think, "Gonna win this one."

The Ravoons will probably bother me until the Stillers beat 'em again, but they should.  I'm instantly chalking up 3 wins on the one remaining Browns game and both Bunghole games.  The NFC West doesn't bother me a bit:  if it ain't a sweep, I'll be disappointed.  The SOS games are Jax and Denver.  Both tough, but doable.  Only NE scares me in the AFCE.

Expectations are high.  I'm thinking a 1 or 2 seed in the playoffs.  But things are things and things happen.  Still, the sky's the limit.  I'm not seeing 4 losses here.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 20:25 »

I expected to be 5-0 going into the bye week.  I'll wait to see if we actually get there, then see how everyone else is doing before I alter my projection.

Cincy and Balty certainly look more beatable, but we won't see them for quite a while.  Things can change.
Hercules50

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 21:43 »

I'd set par for this season at 11-5.

Let's consider the schedule.

*5 games remain against AFC North foes. Worst case scenario: we go 3-2 in these games.

*3 games remain against the AFC East. Worst case scenario: we go 2-1.

*4 games remain against the NFC West. Worst case: we go 3-1.

*2 remaining games are Denver and Jacksonville. Worst case: 1-1.

That's 11-5 right there.  
pensteel
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 22:16 »

*5 games remain against AFC North foes. Worst case scenario: we go 3-2 in these games.

That's 11-5 right there.
Wouldn't the worst case scenario be losing all those games?
Hercules50

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 22:40 »

That's 11-5 right there.
Wouldn't the worst case scenario be losing all those games?
Well the worst case scenario is that it's discovered that the cheap ass rooney's have been bribing referees for decades and we are stripped of all our accomplishments throughout Steeler history.

What I obviously meant is that this was the worst I can see us doing from here on out, based on what we've seen this season.

For example, our remaining AFC East opponents are NE, Jets, and Dolphins. The Dolphins we will give a beat-down to.  I think we'll split the games against the Jets and Pats, at worst. I think we're likely to beat the Jets; an upset of the Pats bumps this up to 3-0.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2007 at 07:45 »

The Black n Gold need to develop some red zone plays that actually work.  I think that is the most glaring weakness.  I also think Brady and probably Palmer will carve up the secondary.

The red zone business may come along as they play more games and the secondary is "what it is".  Not horrible by any means, and hopefully I'm being overly critical.  :glasshalfempty:

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2007 at 09:10 »

I don't mind the RZ playcalling per se; excution is a different matter.  

As for the secondary, I think we'll do OK against the Bengals; Patriots, again, a different matter.  The former, we need to do what we do -- shut down the run game, and put Ike on Chad and Deshea on Housh.  Their depth without Miss Chris doesn't impress me much, and I think we have favorable matchups with our personnel.  The latter, well, they are extremely deep, and I don't see how we can blitz much against them.  I see more dime and quarter packages against them, but I also think LeBeau is saving his best stuff for that game and the Ravens games.  My guess is we just keep Clark hawking deep against Moss, and Polamalu back for more coverage.  Probably see some LBs dropping, too.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2007 at 10:24 »

I'll feel better if they get past San Fran this weekend.  I just have this awful feeling that Cleveland and Buffalo are bad enough that a team with some wins under their belt might give the Steelers a scare.  If Sunday is another romp(or even just a W), then I can start getting on board with the glowing reviews.

PUMA
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2007 at 11:11 »

San Fran is DFL in total offense.  Smith has a 69 passer rating, to Ben's 101.  

Their D is... middle of the road, statistically.  They've gotten lucky, twice.

The only way we lose is if we turn the ball over around 15 times.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: