Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 08:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ward  (Read 1402 times)
blurjose
N00b

« on: Sep 19, 2007 at 00:27 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_528145.html
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2007 at 10:55 »

Lettieri states that despite profits of more than $1 million and insurance money of $500,000, the company's bank accounts totaled less than $19,000 as of last week

I don't know much of anything about running a business, but $1 million profit for a bar in less than two years sounds awfully high, especially if they were closed from February to June.  

Too early to tell.  Could be a big deal or nothing.  Ward could be highly involved or have no involvement.  Just have to wait and see.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2007 at 10:59 »

This stuff happens to people everyday and it is just a matter of playing out.  If Hines Ward were Joe Burton, this isn't even a story.  It will play out and not affect him with the Steelers.

PUMA
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2007 at 11:37 »

I never cease to be amazed at people who decide that the food industry is a good investment.  A lot of ex sports guys open their own steakhouses and such, and maybe their name turns some business, I don't know.  But it's notoriously hard to make it in that industry, not the least of which because of internecine BS like this, people dipping in the till, eating and drinking their own profit, and too many "cooks" so to speak.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Cogitobsw

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2007 at 13:15 »

It's completely an ego thing.  Everyone likes to walk into a place and be the VIP . . . the only way to ensure it is own your own place.

I spent several years in the restaurant biz and saw and worked for so many people that thought it was all glam and had no idea how to run a restaurant.  The people who are successful are the people that work hard and are at their restaurant all the time.  And you've either got to have experience, or you have to hire people that are excellent at their jobs and who you can trust completely. . . in the restaurant business, the only people you can trust completely is family . . . and a lot of times, not even then.

Cogito Ergo Sum
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2007 at 13:31 »

The people who are successful are the people that work hard and are at their restaurant all the time. And you've either got to have experience, or you have to hire people that are excellent at their jobs and who you can trust completely

You're right on, there.  We took a shot at running something as a side business a few years back, but since we had neither of the things you mentioned, it failed miserably.

My grandfather was a pretty successful club/restaurant owner.  I asked my dad how he did it, and basically he was a very personable guy who busted his ass 18 hours a day.

His biggest problem was no matter how fast he made money, my grandmother could spend it faster.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2007 at 14:23 »

I would have to say that, having known a number of people in the restaurant business, most of them are not very happy unless they have a lifestyle that allows them to do nothing but work.  Isn't it a stat that 75% of restaurants fail within the first three years?  

I've also heard from people in the biz that alchohol/drug abuse/drug dealing is very common among the employees at these places.  A lot of after-hours dealing and using in the kitchen.

Why the heck is Hines Ward in business with some clown with a drug conviction?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2007 at 16:32 »

I've also heard from people in the biz that alchohol/drug abuse/drug dealing is very common among the employees at these places.  A lot of after-hours dealing and using in the kitchen.

No doubt.  I have a good friend who was hot shit in the haute cuisine scene here for a while, and she was always talking about the amount of coke use in the industry.  She's since basically relocated to Maine, it was all too much for her.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2007 at 18:11 »

sounds like i missed out on a lot of fun in college...the greek restaurant i worked for only served pepsi.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2007 at 18:18 »

sounds like i missed out on a lot of fun in college...the greek restaurant i worked for only served pepsi.
They were probably afraid that if they shared the good stuff with you, you'd be there until 6.30 in the morning, rockin' out to "Big Shot".

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: