Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 23, 2014 at 04:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tight Ends  (Read 1082 times)
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« on: Sep 23, 2007 at 21:47 »

Three games:

Heath Miller: 10 catches (Team leader) - 1 Touchdown
Matt Spaeth: 3 catches - 2 Touchdowns
Jerame Tuman: 1 catch - 1 Touchdown

Discuss...

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2007 at 22:00 »

As someone who was disappointed in the Spaeth pick, and the Heat Miller pick, due to their involvement (or projected involvement) in the offense, it's good to be proven wrong, so far.

Hope to see the same type of thing once we're playing the top tier teams like NE or Indy (if we're in the playoffs)

We were so predictable in years past when it came to the passing game.  Less so now, though I think the TEs have been RZ targets since Miller arrived.  Tuman had something like 3 TDs in 9 catches a year or so ago.  

Happier to see Miller heavily involved between the 20s.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 00:03 »

I think that throwing to the TEs in the red zone helps Ben out a lot.  We don't have a tall WR that he can throw the ball up to (remember when he used to hit Plax?), so the TEs have given him those big targets that he likes.

It's also really tough for a D to cover Hines, Holmes, and Heat, as well as focusing on FWP.  More weapons make our O that much better.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 01:09 »

Yeah, it seems that so far BA wasn't talking shit about actually using the TE's. Heat looked great today, and almost came up with a sick catch that would have probably led to a TD. Let's see if it continues as the season progresses. BR needs all the options he can get and its good that finally teams will have to think about covering our TE's, especially in the RZ.
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 06:43 »

Heath was just sick today. Though the ref screwed up on not calling the force out, allowing for the catch to be overturned. That catch was tremendous. Incicdently, should have caled pass interference on that play also.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 08:20 »

If Hines is down for any length of time, you are bound to see an increase in those TE numbers.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Hercules50

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 08:47 »

If Hines is down for any length of time, you are bound to see an increase in those TE numbers.
Heath will have to play the Hines role, if Ward goes out. The guy who can go over the middle, make the tough catch, and then punish defenders.

In a lot of ways, Miller is the Ward of TEs. He gives more pain than he takes after the catch, unusual for a receiver, and he's got deceptive big-play ability.

Really hoping Ward is okay, though. His injury comes at a lucky time, though. We can beat ARZ and SEA without him, and then we have a bye, so he can have almost a month off if need be.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 21:39 »

Heath was just sick today. Though the ref screwed up on not calling the force out, allowing for the catch to be overturned. That catch was tremendous. Incicdently, should have caled pass interference on that play also.
given all that, i still thought Ben should have hurried them up to the line and at least spiked the ball.  too close for comfort to let it fly the way it did.  2nd and goal would have been alot better than the end result.

I thought Nolen was a complete dick when he threw any challenge flag.  and why in the fuck was he wearing a windbreaker?  it was freaking 100 degrees in the burgh during the game

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 08:17 »

I agree, there is no excuse that the Steelers O didn't run up to the line and run a play. We should have a play ready at all times to run in such situations.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 08:20 »

why in the fuck was he wearing a windbreaker?  it was freaking 100 degrees in the burgh during the game
I was thinking the same thing when I saw Tomlin on the sideline.  He had on some sort of long sleeved fleece or windbreaker.

I went to the Bengal game last year at Heinz and it was a really nice day, and almnost hot in the stands.  Down on the field it looked like they were in a wind tunnel.  

:shrugs:

Don't get me wrong, Nolan does look like a smug little prick.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: