Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 15:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just curious...  (Read 1881 times)
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 17:29 »

I was initially kind of aggravated about the trade...not so much the conditional pick, but wanting to see what Reid could do over a full year.

Rossum is steady and experienced at fielding punts, because, well, he has experience fielding punts. Dude can't get better during games if he doesn't get to play in games, so I can't blame Reid.

That said, I admit it IS nice to know that you have a guy who is absolutely capable back there returning. And, if Reid ISN'T suffering from a post-injury lack of speed, perhaps Rossum can help mentor him (kind of like how Bettis helped with the maturation of FWP).  

Perhaps I'm stubborn, but I still would like to see what Reid can do when he gets to play for a sustained period of time.  Once Rossum gets old and slows down, of course!

One point: I know it's a conditional pick, but what are the conditions, and how high a pick did we give up? I'd be thrilled if we gave up a 6, but furious if we gave up a 4 or higher.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Hercules50

« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 07:54 »

I'm just relieved that we finally have professional punt returning again.

As for Reid: I think that if he absolutely works his ass off, he can have an NFL career. His physical skills are good enough. But if he doesn't....he'll be out of football in a couple of years.
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 11:36 »

Just so everyone knows, Bouchette did not back down.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 13:01 »

Just so everyone knows, Bouchette did not back down.

Much has been made that it was the Steelers' first kickoff return for a TD in five seasons. It also was Rossum's first kickoff return for a TD in five years, and his first return of any kind for a TD in three years. Santonio Holmes returned a punt for a touchdown last year and averaged more than 10 yards a punt return. Rossum, who has not averaged more than 10 yards a punt return in the previous two seasons, has six punt returns this year for 2.7-yard average, including one of minus-four on Sunday. Rossum has been a wonderful kickoff and punt returner, but I think the Steelers already had one.

One has to wonder about the qulaity of Douchette's insight when all he can do is spout vaguely related numbers, without placing them in context.

One also notices a distinct sweeping-under-the-rug of Holmes' return-game deficiencies, such as putting the ball on the ground and conceding field position through his decision making.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2007 at 13:01 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 13:27 »

What

An

ASS!!!

You have got to be kidding me.  The bottom line for me is that Rossum has not put the ball on the ground (yet I guess) and everything beyond that is gravy.

PUMA
Hercules50

« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 13:33 »

Not to mention: we need Holmes to develop into a star wideout ASAP.

Tomlin's right. Holmes should focus on that. Having him practice punt and kick returns is a waste of resources, I think. Also the injury risk.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2007 at 13:33 by Hercules50 » Logged
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 09:03 »

Tomlin's right. Holmes should focus on that. Having him practice punt and kick returns is a waste of resources, I think. Also the injury risk.

No offense, Herc, but I'm calling BS on that one.  If Tomlin thought that Holmes could do the job, he'd be back there.  Returning the ball should not have any negative impact on his receiving.  Fact is that, as spectacular as he might be, Holmes can't be trusted to handle the football and Tomlin isn't going to tolerate that.  "He needs to concentrate on receiver" is a nice way of saying "I don't want him back there dropping the ball on the F-ing ground."

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: