Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 03, 2014 at 01:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More of that great ESPN analysis  (Read 1830 times)
Hercules50

« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 09:32 »

If you read the article, they had a diagnosis and treatment for all 32 teams in the league (including the Pats and Colts).

They had to find something else to diagnose? Can you think of any other problems this team has shown so far?
Good point.

The turf at Heinz still sucks. That's our biggest problem.  
pensteel
N00b

« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 09:33 »

If you read the article, they had a diagnosis and treatment for all 32 teams in the league (including the Pats and Colts).

They had to find something else to diagnose? Can you think of any other problems this team has shown so far?
I read the article, it sucked.

You know, when you go for a checkup, sometimes the doctor says, "You're fine, just keep doing what you're doing."

Besides, there are bigger problems with this team than a true #2 wr.  The play of the OL, particularly in pass protect.  Kickoff coverage.  The slow start of Timmons.  Any of which might have been better fodder than the BS above.
Timmons is a rookie draft pick and apparenlty has been very good on special teams. We already had our starters. You can't be talking about a slow start to a rookie non-starter.

That's not a problem. On the offensive line, we have the NFL's leading rusher and have given up 4 sacks, 1 more than best in the league.

Sure, we may not expect it to last and you can nitpick and say there were certain times where it coudl be better. But you're not gonna talk about that as a problem right now because statistically they are playing very well.

On the other hand, our WR stats through 3 games are not exactly great. Granted this is because we've scored in different ways and it doesn't matter how we get yards.

Thus, we should be happy that this is the only thing they can think of to criticize us for because there really isn't anything else you can look at and see so far.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 09:52 »

Woodley's gotten some decent play in limited action.  Given the slow start by Timmons in camp, I would hope that he starts getting integrated into a similar role soon, getting some work in packages.  He's shown some good speed and energy on STs, but crap, I want a bit more from my first rounder.  Even just a few plays a game, late fourth quarter, see if he can make some magic happen.

But I do have to trust LeBeau on this.  He'll know how fast to bring these guys along.  My guess on Timmons is limited action sometime after the bye.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50

« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 09:58 »

Woodley's gotten some decent play in limited action.  Given the slow start by Timmons in camp, I would hope that he starts getting integrated into a similar role soon, getting some work in packages.  He's shown some good speed and energy on STs, but crap, I want a bit more from my first rounder.  Even just a few plays a game, late fourth quarter, see if he can make some magic happen.

But I do have to trust LeBeau on this.  He'll know how fast to bring these guys along.  My guess on Timmons is limited action sometime after the bye.
The lack of play from Timmons and Woodley could end up being a blessing --

Not too many teams are going to be able to field fresh pass rushers in December. We may be able to. Nothing wrong with that, while going 3-0.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 13:04 »

You can't be talking about a slow start to a rookie non-starter.

Says who?  

On the offensive line, we have the NFL's leading rusher and have given up 4 sacks, 1 more than best in the league.

So it's a bigger problem with Holmes and Wilson having to play than it would be with, oh, dunno, say Essex or Stapleton?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 14:07 »

One thing I love about going to the game is that it is easier to watch other players while the game is going on.  During the Buffalo game I was watching Hines to see if his numbers might be down because he wasn't open.  It looked to me like, other than when he went at a guy to block him, he was open on almost every play.  Seriously.  I'm telling you they could have thrown to him about 20 times in that game.  

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 16:49 »

That's not a problem. On the offensive line, we have the NFL's leading rusher and have given up 4 sacks, 1 more than best in the league.

Oline gets some credit, but I think a lot of those stats are credited to FWP and Ben.  How many times has Parker turned nothing into a 10+yard gain by avoiding a hit at the line?  How many times has Ben had someone take a shot at him, only to either avoid the hit, or take the hit and stay on his feet?  Oline has some definite room to improve.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 17:04 »

So it's a bigger problem with Holmes and Wilson having to play than it would be with, oh, dunno, say Essex or Stapleton?
[/b]

Ohhhhhh.......I just got a chill........Did someone open a window?
pensteel
N00b

« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 17:47 »

Says who?  

On the offensive line, we have the NFL's leading rusher and have given up 4 sacks, 1 more than best in the league.

That would be a problem, if our starters on the OLine went down (and it looks like Mahan is gonna start).

I'm not saying the WRs have been a problem. They haven't been. Nothing on this team has been bad to the slightest extent. We've looked very well, even if that might possibly attributed to inferior opponents.

The point is, the article had to find something wrong with every team, and if that's the best they can come up with, its a good thing.

Our O-Line has been very good so far. Lets not get into what-ifs. Essex and Stapleton are not starting now. I'm pretty sure every OLine in the league is bad if two starters go down.  
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2007 at 22:18 »

Says who?  

That would be a problem, if our starters on the OLine went down (and it looks like Mahan is gonna start).

Q. E. D.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: