Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 01:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whimper Whimper  (Read 1765 times)
blurjose
N00b

« on: Sep 28, 2007 at 00:21 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07271/821214-66.stm
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 06:40 »

Former center Chukky Okobi said it is "ridiculous" he wasn't included on the Steelers' 53-man roster and that he would have made the team if Bill Cowher were still the head coach.

Okobi also said he didn't think there was a fair competition for the starting center position, saying it was predetermined Sean Mahan would replace retired Jeff Hartings when Mahan was signed in free agency.

:bawling:  :crying:  :bawling:  

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 07:25 »

Okobi's outbursts haven't bothered me.  Though it's been easy to pay attention to other things, with a new coaching staff and even now, with a 3-0 record.

I think Okobi is right...everyone knew Mahan was going to start.  It was the team's only FA pick up and unless it was also forecasting Faneca's 2008 departure, Mahan was brought into address the center position.  The only thing that would have gotten Okobi in as a starter was an injury to Mahan (knock on wood).  

Okobi isn't versatile enough to play guard.  What does that mean exactly?  I don't know.  I'm not sure if he isn't athletic enough to pull or if it's something else.  I would think, at a position known to call out the blocking assignments at the line, he's smart enough to know and understand what it takes to be a guard in the NFL.  

I think it also says that he really loved Pittsburgh and the Steelers.  It was his dream to play as the starting center for the Steelers.  It's his opinion that he was led to believe over the years that once Hartings retired, the position was his.  I can understand why he's frustrated and disappointed.  He could have gone elsewhere had he known it was going to end up like this.

At the same time, Okobi has to realize he likely isn't destined to be a NFL starter.  If there was ever a time it was going to happen, it isn't now or never.  I'm sure it's a tough pill to swallow but it's probably more fact than fiction.  W/o the Whiz/Grimm connection, one wonders if he would have a job right now.  

It's a difficult week in AZ, I'm sure.  So many loaded questions from reporters for any of the ex-Steelers.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 10:43 »

The dude had 6 years...SIX YEARS to prove himself.  Pittsburgh owes him nothing.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 10:54 »

"To think I wasn't good enough to be on that team is ridiculous," said Okobi, a backup center with the Arizona Cardinals, where he has been reunited with head coach Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm.

He's a backup in AZ too...what's this guy expect. If the previous coaching staff was so for him, then you'd think he'd start when he got reunited.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2007 at 10:54 by kluisi61 » Logged

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 11:14 »

It's amazing that we would sing a free agent and then, you know, play him.  It's the NFL.  If popular players, such as Jeremiah Trotter this year, are going to get cut, surely Chukky fucking Okobi is fair game.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 11:19 »

Why isn't Rodney Bailey bitching?  He got cut by us, and he's a backup for Zona...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 11:20 »

I personally refuse to pass judgment until I hear from Oliver Ross.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 11:29 »

He's right on a few points.  If Cowher was still here, he'd be on the team, and likely be starting.

I really don't feel it was a competition; I feel it was predetermined," Okobi said.

The irony being that if Cowher were still here, it would have been predetermined that Chukki was starting.

"Sean is more than capable. I got nothing against him. It's that he doesn't deserve to be the starter. It just is what it is.

Because he didn't wait his time on the Steelers' bench.  I think this speaks more about what personnel decisions were like under Bill.  He had his plan - don't play as a rookie unless there is absolutely no other option, but once you've served your time and your position opens up, you start and remain the starter until either your contract runs out or you retire.  

Chukki made a lot of money as a second stringer.  Just hope for his sake he hadn't spent that $6 million he thought was coming to him.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 12:00 »

The irony being that if Cowher were still here, it would have been predetermined that Chukki was starting.

Very good point.

And I completely missed his comment on Mahan not deserving to be the starter.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933

« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 12:11 »

Because he didn't wait his time on the Steelers' bench.  I think this speaks more about what personnel decisions were like under Bill.  He had his plan - don't play as a rookie unless there is absolutely no other option, but once you've served your time and your position opens up, you start and remain the starter until either your contract runs out or you retire.  

that explains Max Starks

Go Steelers
Hercules50

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 12:30 »

Okobi should be friggin' grateful. How many backup-only type OLs get to stay in one place for as long as he did? Okobi should be grateful that, like most backup-quality OLs, he didn't bounce around the league on one-year contracts.

He's gonna retire rich and pretty much perfectly healthy, the result of playing oh, 10 games over the course of an 8- or 9-year career. At 30, if he wants. So shut up.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2007 at 12:31 by Hercules50 » Logged
jburghfan

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 16:02 »

Hey Chucky.....Hows about going out on the practice field and WINNING a position ?....
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 17:56 »

Man this guy just doesn't know when to quit.. If this..if that..IF you didn't suck, maybe you would be starting somewhere. anywhere..
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2007 at 18:00 »

Hey Chucky.....Hows about going out on the practice field and WINNING a position ?....
Racist

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2007 at 11:08 »

Racist
Black centers are subject to greater scrutiny and criticism than their white counterparts.

Unless we're talking hoops, then vice versa.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: