Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 23, 2014 at 14:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions and comments  (Read 4807 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:44 »

I forgot to add that this was quite possibly the worst football weekend of this year, and probably top 5 all-time.  But I digress...

Getting too "cute" is an excellent point.  Run the offense and execute.  If we're going PAP on the goal line, that's a first or second down call (see SB XL, cue to 3rd quarter).  If we're not going to do it, then line up the jumbo and run it three straight times (or four) and get it in the zone or take the 3.  I blame Ben for the INT, of course, but let's give him the best chance to succeed.  Don't put him in a bad situation with stupid play calls.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 09:54 »

I forgot to add that this was quite possibly the worst football weekend of this year, and probably top 5 all-time.  But I digress...

I couldn't agree more.  If I support a team, then lost this weekend.  The only silver lining was that the Ravens lost but even that meant that Cleveland won.

I am a bit concerned that the run game never got going yesterday.  I didn't think that the Cards has the personnel to make the Steelers one dimensional but I guess they did.  

So, was yesterday the exception or did the Cards expose something that we will see used against the Steelers from here on out...

PUMA
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:02 »

So, was yesterday the exception or did the Cards expose something that we will see used against the Steelers from here on out...

what we saw was a team determined to stop the running game no matter what.  the only bad thing that was exposed, was our OC failed to take advantage of the play calling by going more to the PA passing.  Miller should of had a field day between the numbers from what the cards left open.

we saw alot of successful PAP in the first and didnt see jack afterwards.  Ben was on his way towards a 300+ passing day.  for some reason he was handcuffed through shitty play calling

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:14 »

what we saw was a team determined to stop the running game no matter what.  the only bad thing that was exposed, was our OC failed to take advantage of the play calling by going more to the PA passing.  Miller should of had a field day between the numbers from what the cards left open.

we saw alot of successful PAP in the first and didnt see jack afterwards.  Ben was on his way towards a 300+ passing day.  for some reason he was handcuffed through shitty play calling
Yep.  I've liked some of what BA has done, but he was off yesterday by a mile.

Also, I do think that our WR depth is OK, even though I don't care much for Ced.  IMO, Washington can do some good things in limited situations.  But I think Reid is simply going to outplay him, or more to the point, Reid can be more consistent.  When you're going to a #3 WR on a key 3rd down, consistency counts more than, say, leaping ability.

A lot of our RB/WR issues would be much improved with better OL play.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:15 »

yeah i was looking for Kreider yesterday too, not sure if he was even active.  when Parker is getting hit behind his line of scrimmage on pretty much every carry, it's Kreider time.  if they want to keep two fullbacks active, that's fine with me, but if the running game isnt working with Davis, i really dont understand why Kreider isnt in there.
Kreider was in, in the second half. And he didn't do shit either. I don't care who the FB was, FWP was going no where. It really doesn't matter who the FB is when the OL can't block anyone. In fact, several runs with Kreider as lead blocker, Willie couldn't even follow him because the DL blew up the OL. So, both FB struggled to do anything..Also, I just don't agree that BR played a good game. He held the ball WAY too long. Didn't protect it either, fumbling for the second week in a row. Threw some real shitty passes, and if he is the one calling out pass pro at the line, he sucked at that too. Granted he didn't get any help from the WR's or BA, but it was a real reminiscent of any number of away games last year. Also, I think Lebeau is using the backup DL too much. Hampton is being taken out for Hoke too often....Not scoring from the 4 was a killer. Sure, I was calling for play action on 1st down, but they ran twice for 1 and a half yards. No excuse. The OL just isn't good enough IMO, and we got problems when we play Balty and NE. I thought Tomiln didn't do a very good job either. Second half adjustments were non existent. The challenge on the TD was very poor, and they could have used that TO at the end. And the penalties! My God the penalties! Not a sign of a well prepared team.  
blurjose
N00b

« Reply #15 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:20 »

1. Our O-Line got abused. It wasn't just Faneca. I saw Smith get beat up pretty bad as well.

2. Our D-Line held their own but did not dominate. It is typical of today's broadcasting (CBS) that they showed Troy on the sidelines 50X but did not talk extensively about Hampton being out early with a hamstring injury.

3. Play calling got unimaginative for most of the game on offense.

4. SLOPPY play. I couldn't believe how many penalties this team commited. If I hadn't seen the previous 3 games and just walked into this game I would have said they were a very poorly coached team. (Don't read into this--I love Tomlin.) One of those penalties leads directly to 7 for the other team.

5. I'm going to guess (though I couldn't see the entire field on TV) that Washington, Reid and Wilson weren't getting separation. Ben held the ball so long on a few plays; it seemed like nobody was getting open.

6. Our linebackers are mediocre at best. Haggans is nothing special. Farrior is still a player but nowhere near as fast as he once was. Foote is fine. Harrison I'll take--lotta heart and a mean streak. Still, this is not a linebacking core that inspires fear. I can't wait for Timmons and Woodley to be ready to crack the lineup.

7. Ward really is important. He may not be able to stretch the field, but he knows where to sit down in a zone, he knows how to get himself open for positive yardage. And he probably has more football smarts in his pinky than the rest of the receivers combined.

8. We got out-coached yesterday. Again, this is not something to read into. I like Tomlin as our head coach. I'm just saying that on this given day--he (AND his staff) weren't on their game.  
blitzburghsteelers
N00b

« Reply #16 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:32 »

I'am surprised that nobody has placed the blame on Tomlins shoulders. Davis over Kreider is a joke! It has been obvious that Tomlin is riding Arians and Dicks jock. Whenever they show Tomlin on the sidelines he is just there. Tomlin shows no emotion. I thought he was the great motivator. Now i know the reason why he (tomlin) has stated "I don't belive in game planning as much as i do fundamentals"
Shit that was obvious yesterday. It takes preperation in both areas you F****** statue! We should have destroyed those pussy Arizona Cardinals. To think we have had an easy schedule i wonder what the N.E. Patriots will do?
Also who in the hell is Big ben to snub Cowher Saying "I like to be spoken to rather than being spit on" Cowher drafted your ass and handed the team to you! where is the Appreciation you ungratefull F***.

In my mind and my other Steelers buddies mind Knoll and Cowher are football Gods and nobody can talk shit about them! Why is it that nobody on this board has ever mentioned this?

I was actually getting into this season but it is apparent if you swallow the Tomlin is good pill you will choke on it.

WE SHOULD HAVE FUCKING WON
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:36 »

Foote is fine.

He wasnt very fine when he got jacked up by Edge during a blitz.  I dont care what running back you are, you rarely see a MLB getting pushed backwards by a RB at least 3 steps in the wrong direction.

edge is a good pass blocker...but FFS Foote had a head of steam and got stymied BIG TIME

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:51 »

I'am surprised that nobody has placed the blame on Tomlins shoulders. Davis over Kreider is a joke! It has been obvious that Tomlin is riding Arians and Dicks jock. Whenever they show Tomlin on the sidelines he is just there. Tomlin shows no emotion. I thought he was the great motivator. Now i know the reason why he (tomlin) has stated "I don't belive in game planning as much as i do fundamentals"
Shit that was obvious yesterday. It takes preperation in both areas you F****** statue! We should have destroyed those pussy Arizona Cardinals. To think we have had an easy schedule i wonder what the N.E. Patriots will do?
Also who in the hell is Big ben to snub Cowher Saying "I like to be spoken to rather than being spit on" Cowher drafted your ass and handed the team to you! where is the Appreciation you ungratefull F***.

In my mind and my other Steelers buddies mind Knoll and Cowher are football Gods and nobody can talk shit about them! Why is it that nobody on this board has ever mentioned this?

I was actually getting into this season but it is apparent if you swallow the Tomlin is good pill you will choke on it.

WE SHOULD HAVE FUCKING WON
What's the over/under on the number of hours before blitzburghsteelers or some local media hack takes this loss as confirmation that Tomlin is the wrong guy for the Steelers?

I'm saying 12.

I was taking the under.  

Glad to see you here when it suits your agenda.  Really missed you the past three weeks.

What will NE do?  What did NE do during Cowher's tenure?  Heck, what did Baltimore do against us last year, twice?  Jesus Cowher was leading the ship during quite a few catastrophes.  He was a good coach but not someone above rebuke.

I feel dirty but I do actually agree with you re: Ben's overall attitude this past offseason, through yesterday.  

He needs to grow up and get over the petty stuff.  He's where he has wanted to be...more freedom, complete health.  Why avoid Whisenhunt yesterday?  

I think you're taking the comments about Cowher as if you were his wife.  Not a big deal.  If Ben were to avoid Cowher, as Ben did Whiz, I'd feel differently.  

Did Ben have a "R" shaved into the top of his head?  

100%...................................................................gangsta
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:03 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 10:53 »

I was actually getting into this season but it is apparent if you swallow the Tomlin is good pill you will choke
Dude, chill... It was 1 game. Last time I checked Cowher hadn't led team to 4-0 either. Was Tomlin outcoached yesterday? Probably, but I'm going to freak out and say Tomlin blows after 1 game. And please with the not talking shit about a coach who mailed in his last season, lost more AFCC games AT HOME than anybody, and was consistently outcoached year after year.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: