Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 22:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions and comments  (Read 4196 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:04 »

In 2005, we were 2-2 four games in, FWIW.

I do agree that we should get a really emotional coach, though.  Maybe we can lure Dick Vermeil out of retirement to bawl like a fucking girl.  That's great coaching.  Point is, what good is throwing a hissy fit going to do?  You fix what needs fixed and come back to win again another day.  As far as Tomlin "riding the jock" of BA and DL, both those coordinators were less than stellar.  Yes, even LeBeau.  We didn't exploit line matchups (newbie RT, Hamp on a crappy OC), and gave up too much running yardage per play.  There's blame aplenty right now.

I like Cowher, but his offseason prep left much to be desired.  Tomlin has these guys much better prepared, yesterday notwithstanding.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:04 »

The biggest thing that I saw yesterday was the inability of our receivers to get open. Ben had to hold the ball and check down a lot. Although I am impressed with Ben's ability to makes something out of nothing by avoiding the rush and checking down. We can't do that ever time. Ward being out obviously killed us.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:06 by whitmer_87 » Logged

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Hercules50

« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:07 »

One thing about Ben's play: I think he's not as mobile as he used to be.

Yes, I know, he's very young and "used to be" isn't a long time ago. But if you recall his rookie year, and if you watch some of those highlights, you'll see a heavier Ben moving around quite quickly. He's had minor surgery on each knee since then, no? He has a more gimpy stride than he used to, too, I think.

this isn't a knock -- I'm just saying that I wonder if part of his problem may be that he thinks he's more mobile than he really is?
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:15 »

I say we give Reid more time this week to see what he's got.

This might effect the draft strategy since obviously, Ward's body can't take the abuse like when he was younger.  How much is he got left in the tank now its year 10.  Could be 1 year, could be 6?

"San-Antonio" will obviously soon be the #1, but we need a viable option for number two.  That may be Reid, but it seems like Nate and Ced are regressing more than anything.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:18 by DCSteelers » Logged
Hercules50

« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:18 »

BTW, where was the no-huddle or the 4-wide sets?

I know it was kind of garbage time, with the Cards up by 14, but we moved the ball pretty well doing that on the 92-yard drive.

And the running game was non-functional all day. I think this coaching staff trusts Roethlisberger little more than the last one did, to win games.  
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:27 »

Now i know the reason why he (tomlin) has stated "I don't belive in game planning as much as i do fundamentals"
Shit that was obvious yesterday. It takes preperation in both areas you F****** statue!

Yes, and we all know that Cowher had a magnificent reputation as a gameplanner.

:rolleyes:  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:28 »

I think Ben looks every bit as mobile as he did before.  In fact, using more scripted PAPs, and having Ben run for 6, 8, 12 yards a shot would do a lot to open up some passing lanes.  

I think we could have tried some four wides, but IMO the reason BA didn't was that the pass rush was beating our OL consistently, and he kept in blockers (TE, FB).  That would call for an offset using Heat down the seam more, but whatever, ya know?  I'm not caling the shots.

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:36 »

my only knock on Tomlin yesterday was I wish he would have kicked away instead of the onsider.  like Whiz was going to do anything spectacular other than run, run, run, to eat the clock and make us use our remaining 2 timeouts, then punt.  

The cards punting from their 25 opposed to OUR 45 would have put us into a better situation to tie rather than what transpired IMO.

at least Rossum would have had a shot at taking one to the house that way.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:46 »

I dunno, what was the time when we kicked?  They run three times and punt, and we get the ball with chance for one desperation shot?  I didn't mind the onside, but Reed sucks at these kicks.  That was just poor.  Right to Fitz.  Maybe Lig hasn't worked that particular gambit to death just yet.

BTW, didn't see Carey Davis downfield on the STs penalty that led to the re-kick, but he claims it was ticky tacky.  Could be.  In hindsight, maybe that would have been a good timeout?  

Hercules50

« Reply #29 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 12:00 »

my only knock on Tomlin yesterday was I wish he would have kicked away instead of the onsider.  like Whiz was going to do anything spectacular other than run, run, run, to eat the clock and make us use our remaining 2 timeouts, then punt.  

The cards punting from their 25 opposed to OUR 45 would have put us into a better situation to tie rather than what transpired IMO.

at least Rossum would have had a shot at taking one to the house that way.
I think if you're down a FG, you can kick away in that situation.

Down a TD? You need the ball, some field position, AND some time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: