Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 21, 2014 at 13:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions and comments  (Read 4978 times)
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 12:03 »

I dunno, what was the time when we kicked?  They run three times and punt, and we get the ball with chance for one desperation shot?  I didn't mind the onside, but Reed sucks at these kicks.  That was just poor.  Right to Fitz.  Maybe Lig hasn't worked that particular gambit to death just yet.

BTW, didn't see Carey Davis downfield on the STs penalty that led to the re-kick, but he claims it was ticky tacky.  Could be.  In hindsight, maybe that would have been a good timeout?
i think there was 50+ seconds left when we got the ball back the last drive.  not a whole mess of time left when you have to drive 90 yards or so.  I dont think we would have won regardless of kicking away or the onside kick, but it would have been nice to have every opportunity to at least get 7.  onside kick failure and the punt block attempt, really took away every chance we had to tie.

but as forrest gump would say, 'thats all i have to say about that'.  

as for Davis being down field, im sure it was borderline for it to have been called in the first place.  but looking back, it sure would have been very beneficial to call a time out at that point

anyway, fuck the cards and bring on the seahags.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 12:36 »

I know it was kind of garbage time, with the Cards up by 14, but we moved the ball pretty well doing that on the 92-yard drive.

I totally discount that TD. Zona was in the classic "prevent" defense. As in it prevents the FG and allows the TD. They were only rushing four and had extremely soft coverage, basically giving the 10 yard passes. About the onsides kick, I don't know. In hindsight I got to agree with Jack. They were going to run, run, run, punt no matter where they were on the field. I'd rather have them doing it from their own 30 instead of the Pitt 45. Instead of 91 yards(thanks to yet another penalty) to go in 50 sec, it could have been 60 yards. At least they would have had a couple shots into the EZ. But thats hindsight. Even being in that situation means you pretty much lost. The game was lost when Edge made that 1st down on the 2. Or when the punt went back for a TD. Robopunter was moving in for the tackle till he got blindsided in a scene right from Invincable. Hopefully the team and coaching staff can put this behind them a properly prepare for  Seattle team that still remembers XL.

HAHAHHAH111YOUSE GUUYS GOT OWENED BY ARIZONEA!!!! GUSS RIMM IS WAAY BETTAR THAN THAT FOOLE TOMLYNNSWANN>>>>>HELLO<<<<COWHURT WAS THE GRATEST. ROONEINES R IDOITS!!! NOW THAT THE REFS CANTT HELP U, SEEATTLEE IS GOING TO KILL THE STEALERS!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 12:39 »

Cowher drafted your ass and handed the team to you!

Only because Tommy crumpled. It's not like Cowher was big on playing young QBs the Steelers drafted.

Cowher seems like a good guy, but he fucking choked repeatedly in big games...at home.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007 at 12:40 by otismalibu » Logged
mrblack66
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #33 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 12:51 »

my head is still on fire from this one, but I wont allow myself  to get too worked up.

we played like shit and lost by 7 on the road against a franchise where this game was their Super Bowl. Hats off to Whiz on a great job, but the Steelers gave this one away.

Ben amazes me that he can throw these pinpoint darts at times like the two to Holmes and a few long hits to Heath, but then he will have the brain freeze down at the goal and throw the INT at the worst possible time. Egh. Im not worried that we saw any trends yesterday. Im confident that Tomlin will be on top of his game with the Seahawks coming in.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 13:27 »

I really wonder if he saw both the defenders on that pick.  If he did and forced it, it was beyond risky and stupid.  I think he was trying to put it somewhere, and didn't see Wilson.  Not sure who was covering Heat, but maybe the pass would have beaten that player alone.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 13:32 »

yeah i was looking for Kreider yesterday too, not sure if he was even active.
Kreider was in, in the second half. And he didn't do shit either. I don't care who the FB was, FWP was going no where. It really doesn't matter who the FB is when the OL can't block anyone. In fact, several runs with Kreider as lead blocker, Willie couldn't even follow him because the DL blew up the OL. So, both FB struggled to do anything
Just wanted to echo that.  Kreider was in and they did no better when he was.  (In fact he was in on the second an goal from the 2). The failure of the running game is owed first to the offensive line and secondly to the poor blocking by the receivers with Ward out.

I'm actually surprised I don't hear as much about that.  In addition to being our best WR out there, Santonio did a decent job in the running game.  The other guys were completely overmatched.  They couldn't block the corner covering them let alone bleed out and hit the safties.  On the rare times Parker got around the guys the O-line were allowing in the backfield, he was met by a safety and a corner completely unblocked.

I don't think it can be emphasized how poorly Cedric Wilson and Nate Washington played.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007 at 13:33 by oblongatta » Logged
Hercules50

« Reply #36 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 13:42 »

I really wonder if he saw both the defenders on that pick.  If he did and forced it, it was beyond risky and stupid.  I think he was trying to put it somewhere, and didn't see Wilson.  Not sure who was covering Heat, but maybe the pass would have beaten that player alone.
Ben is quoted as saying he didn't see Adrian Wilson and thought he had Miller one-on-one. So, a bad read rather than a forced pass, according to Ben.
blitzburghsteelers
N00b

« Reply #37 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 14:25 »

All I'am saying is it was obvious the Steelers expected to show up and win. There was no motivation. Arizona does not have near the talent we do but they won! why? It was apparent to me the Steelers were out coached and i hope this was a wake up call and not a trend. For Christ sake they used a two Quarterback rotation this normally spells doom in the NFL just like a wishbone offense.

Someone posted that this was like the Superbowl to the Cardinals. WTF, you don't think Tomlin and the Rooneys wanted this even more??
What you saw was camera talk from both sides Cardinals and Steelers. The Steelers were told to say nothing negative toward the Cardinals and there coaches and the Cards were told the same thing or face severe punishment.

Example: I played one year at UCF we had three top 100 players transfer to Georgia Southern two years prior. The NCAA investigates and concluded no infractions by Georgia Southern. We all knew the players were highly recruited illegally by GS. The week before the game the local papers were trying to start shit between us and we were told the first knucklehead to open there trap would be runing laps Early Sunday morning. All of our responses to media win or lose should remain neutral. Before Kick off HC Gene Mcdowell flings open the door and says "we had another team try and break our moral buy breaking in our house and steal from us and i want nothing less than a Fucking win and that trader QB of theres knocked the fuck out! 1-2-3- destroy" then we went onto the field and kicked there ass.

Moral of the story MT wanted that win more than you realize. Don't get caught up in the camera talk.

Let's kick the shit outta Seattle.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 14:41 »

Someone posted that this was like the Superbowl to the Cardinals. WTF, you don't think Tomlin and the Rooneys wanted this even more??

Frankly, no.  I don't think Tomlin gives a rat's ass about Arizona or their coaching staff.  The Rooneys made their choice; they make their choices and look long term.  It might have been different if the Steelers had offered Whiz and Grimm the job, and both said, no thanks, we're going to Arizona.  Or if Tomlin had been turned down for the Arizona gig.  Neither of those things happened, so it was just another game for Pittsburgh, but a huge game for Arizona.  I think that showed on the field.  You can blame who you want for that.  The truth of the matter is, much as we as fans would like to see the players completely jacked up for every game, it's not going to happen.  These guys will get a lot more juice flowing for Baltimore at home than they will for flying out to Arizona and playing the Cardinals.

This doesn't excuse the play on the field, but if you look at motivation as one factor in the game, that was huge advantage Cardinals.

Don't see how your example relates; seems like a very different scenario.

Let's kick the shit outta Seattle.

Agreed.  They may still be motivated by the SB loss, but we've got a more recent and embarrassing defeat off which we can feed.  Tomlin should be kicking some ass this week.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 14:53 »

The Steelers were told to say nothing negative toward the Cardinals and there coaches and the Cards were told the same thing or face severe punishment.

i guess Okobi missed that memo.  

anyway, i dont think the steelers didnt say too much about the cardinals, cuz, well they are the cardinals.  maybe 4 years when we play them again we can all look back and reminisce on how much we didnt care about them now.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: