Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 02:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions and comments  (Read 4841 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 14:57 »

Someone posted that this was like the Superbowl to the Cardinals. WTF, you don't think Tomlin and the Rooneys wanted this even more??

Frankly, no.  I don't think Tomlin gives a rat's ass about Arizona or their coaching staff.  The Rooneys made their choice; they make their choices and look long term.  It might have been different if the Steelers had offered Whiz and Grimm the job, and both said, no thanks, we're going to Arizona.  Or if Tomlin had been turned down for the Arizona gig.  Neither of those things happened, so it was just another game for Pittsburgh, but a huge game for Arizona.  I think that showed on the field.  You can blame who you want for that.  The truth of the matter is, much as we as fans would like to see the players completely jacked up for every game, it's not going to happen.  These guys will get a lot more juice flowing for Baltimore at home than they will for flying out to Arizona and playing the Cardinals.

This doesn't excuse the play on the field, but if you look at motivation as one factor in the game, that was huge advantage Cardinals.

I agree, msdmnr.  Without question, the "underdog" card edge clearly went to the Cards.  I've said it so many times in the last few months that it makes my eyes burn reading it.  Whiz & Grimm were going to be ready for this one.  You would think that Tomlin would've had them ready, but it's not like I'm going to throw the baby out with the bath water here because Arizona played a good game and took it to them.

The whole "better team" argument is so played.  It's a misnomer.  It's the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot.  It doesn't exist.

You want to know who the better team is?  It's the one that wins the game.  Period.  Any qualifiers to that are just excuses.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 15:04 »

Part of me hopes that the lackluster play calling on offense, and the decision to not play Troy and Snack in the second half were about conceding the possibility of losing to AZ in order to keep some things under wraps for later.  

At 3 and 1, if we can beat the Hags (at home), we get an opportunity to rest, get healthy, and come out guns a-blazin'.  My hope is that LeBeau and BA both have some wrinkles that they are refusing to unwrap just yet.  In particular, I'm thinking of some no-huddle and such on the offensive side of the ball.

We SHOULD have been able to beat AZ with a fairly vanilla gameplan, but, with the injuries, and the flukey punt return/INT at the 4, well, we lost. Still, if -- IF -- this was all part of keeping some things for Balty/NE/Cinci/Jax in the tougher portion of our schedule...well...it might have been worth it.

If holding back was not the reason, and there are no "wrinkles" to come, then this loss becomes much more troubling to me.  God only knows how badly we get beat by Beardy and his new boyfriends if our Oline can't get some traction in THAT game....

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 15:26 »

Part of me hopes that the lackluster play calling on offense, and the decision to not play Troy and Snack in the second half were about conceding the possibility of losing to AZ in order to keep some things under wraps for later. 

You know, I've read several people saying something to this effect on various threads here and I just gotta respectfully disagree.  

This is the NFL, not MLB.  16 game season, not 162 game season.  (Although, I work with a ton of Met fans who would probably argue to the death right now that every single one of those 162 games are incredibly important.)  I find it extremely hard to believe that there's any set of plays in the playbook or any general offensive or defensive scheme that is off limits until Pittsburgh plays the Ravens, Patriots, Bengals or Colts.

In such a short season, where every single game counts so much, I gotta think that the team is going to do everything in their power to get the "W."  Maybe that mindset changes a bit if the score is 35-7 with about 5:00 left in the 4th, then, they might dial it back.  Until then?  Whatever it takes.  All hands on deck.  If you can walk, you're in.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I just don't see Ben pleading his case for a certain set of plays only to have Arians wave him off and say, "nah, we're saving that stuff for the Ravens."
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2007 at 15:27 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Hercules50

« Reply #43 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 15:37 »

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 22:21 »

QUOTE (LambertsFrontTeeth @ Oct 1 2007, 04:04 PM)

You know, I've read several people saying something to this effect on various threads here and I just gotta respectfully disagree.

I agree completely with the disagreement.  All that "saving stuff" ends with the preseason.  The only other time you might see it is if a team has their playoff spot locked up and can neither improve nor worsen their position in the last game or two.  Giving away one game will cost you 9 out of 10 times; if you don't miss the playoffs because of it, you'll hurt your seeding.
calig23
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:06 »

Did Ben have a "R" shaved into the top of his head?  

100%...................................................................gangsta
Was that what that was? I saw the shaved spot, but couldn't figure out if it was just a botched haircut, or something else.

"It's easy to sit at home and stuff burritos into your mouth until you're about to explode." - Stan Savran on Mark Madden.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #46 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 09:39 »

Did Ben have a "R" shaved into the top of his head? 

100%...................................................................gangsta
Was that what that was? I saw the shaved spot, but couldn't figure out if it was just a botched haircut, or something else.
I think my wife might have the right guess in that it was a scar from the crash.  That is the first time I have seen his hair that short since the accident so I think she is right...

PUMA
Cogitobsw

« Reply #47 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 11:40 »

I think my wife might have the right guess in that it was a scar from the crash.
I think she might be right.  I couldn't figure it out myself, but that makes a lot of sense.

Cogito Ergo Sum
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 11:59 »

I thought that it might have been from the accident but looking at it closer, I thought it was something he shaved into his head, albeit in a very odd location.

I mean, I like Ben and all but he's a goofy guy at times.  I hate the "Fat Head" commercial from last year.

If it is a scar, it's in the near perfect shape of the letter "R"...at least from the camera angle I saw.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #49 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 15:37 »

I thought that it might have been from the accident but looking at it closer, I thought it was something he shaved into his head, albeit in a very odd location.

I mean, I like Ben and all but he's a goofy guy at times.  I hate the "Fat Head" commercial from last year.

If it is a scar, it's in the near perfect shape of the letter "R"...at least from the camera angle I saw.
It's the mark of the anti-christ.
It means that we'll never ever ever win a single game because the Steelers employed "the Rooney Rule".

Ben really and truly wanted Whiz to be head coach, so he sold his soul to the devil in order to make the Arizona Cardinals Super Bowl champs for the next 10 years.
He avoided Whiz before the game because if he got close, his emotions would've taken over and he'd have kissed him right on the mouth.

None of that neck-kissing stuff for him.

We're simply doomed.  Doomed I tell ya!!

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: