Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 17:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions and comments  (Read 5114 times)
TucsonSteeler

« Reply #50 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 17:26 »

In the most simplistic terms possiable this game came down to TWO plays:  1.  Not scoring from the four and 2. the punt return for a TD.  If we score and stop the punt return we win, all be it an ugly win.  Once we crush the Seahags everything will be back to okee doekee.

Relax
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #51 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 07:52 »

In the most simplistic terms possiable this game came down to TWO plays:  1.  Not scoring from the four and 2. the punt return for a TD.  If we score and stop the punt return we win, all be it an ugly win.  Once we crush the Seahags everything will be back to okee doekee.

Relax
I sure hope that is right...  I can't handle three weeks of no wins ('Zona, Hags, and a bye.)  Last week I nearly broke alot of stuff in my house.

PUMA
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #52 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 09:24 »

In the most simplistic terms possiable this game came down to TWO plays:  1.  Not scoring from the four and 2. the punt return for a TD.  If we score and stop the punt return we win, all be it an ugly win.  Once we crush the Seahags everything will be back to okee doekee.

Relax
I sure hope that is right...  I can't handle three weeks of no wins ('Zona, Hags, and a bye.)  Last week I nearly broke alot of stuff in my house.

PUMA
I was pissed, but pretty calm.  OK, there was swearing, and the dog ran away scared.  I had to assure him that Daddy was not about to kill Mommy.  But in the bigger scheme, I was looking at it as an opportunity for the team to wake the fuck up.

And I agree: the game turned on those two plays.  First, I think BA's playcalling was just plain foul at the goal line.  And I've liked BA for the most part.  Ben might not have seen Wilson on the pick, but he's had some EZ/RZ pick issues in the past.

On the PR TD: You can thank Willie Colon for the false start, which created the 3rd and long/punt situation.  Maybe Davis did get downfield too fast, but I think the blame here is on Tomlin for not calling a TO to give the guys a breather.  I know, TO's are precious, but either take a TO or rotate some fresh legs in.  Maybe that's just hindsight talking.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #53 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 09:32 »

On the PR TD: You can thank Willie Colon for the false start, which created the 3rd and long/punt situation.  Maybe Davis did get downfield too fast, but I think the blame here is on Tomlin for not calling a TO to give the guys a breather.  I know, TO's are precious, but either take a TO or rotate some fresh legs in.  Maybe that's just hindsight talking.
It's a sad day when professional athletes are tired after ONE 60 yd. sprint! The excuse that they were tired is a crock of shit!

Go Steelers
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #54 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 09:45 »

Maybe someone can give me a quick rules clarification here. The Ineligible down field was called on Davis, but if I remember correctly, Davis lined up here on the punt formation (at least on the do over because I looked).

[dohtml]

O          OOXOO          O
          O     O<---Davis

O

O

[/dohtml]

At least it was something similar to that. Now the question is...if he is lined up as basically the slot receiver (or H-back), he is an eligible receiver. How the hell can he be down field early. He is allowed to be down field as soon as the ball is snapped. Or maybe I'm just interpreting the rules incorrectly.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #55 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 11:42 »

On the PR TD: You can thank Willie Colon for the false start, which created the 3rd and long/punt situation.  Maybe Davis did get downfield too fast, but I think the blame here is on Tomlin for not calling a TO to give the guys a breather.  I know, TO's are precious, but either take a TO or rotate some fresh legs in.  Maybe that's just hindsight talking.
It's a sad day when professional athletes are tired after ONE 60 yd. sprint! The excuse that they were tired is a crock of shit!
Maybe so.  But look what happened.  Was it all blocking and scheme, great running?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #56 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 11:46 »

On the PR TD: You can thank Willie Colon for the false start, which created the 3rd and long/punt situation.

Go Steelers
buccobenny

« Reply #57 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 14:06 »

Now the question is...if he is lined up as basically the slot receiver (or H-back), he is an eligible receiver. How the hell can he be down field early. He is allowed to be down field as soon as the ball is snapped. Or maybe I'm just interpreting the rules incorrectly.
I'm pretty sure the rules for punts and "regular" offensive plays are diffrent. On a punt the only guys that can "release" before a punt are the gunners, or the two outside men. (they would be lined up as "recievers" in your diagram. Other than that everyone has to stay behind the LOS until the ball is kicked.

padgfrombf

« Reply #58 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 01:27 »

First, bucco's got it right about the outside gunners releasing.  The H-back usually heads for the line and is trying to time his crossing of the LOS like a kickoff.  IIRC, that type of offside happens when a punter takes a fractional sec longer to punt, but I didn't see that at all from Sepulveda on the play.  FWIW, I didn't see an offside, either.

No, that's not hindsight on the second punt at all.  I was at the game and was saying even before punt deux to either change the gunners or angle the punt to the sideline.  Cripe, there were probably about 1,000 other acid flashbacks in the stands of Troy Brown reincarnated as Steve Breaston.  Ligashesky apparently didn't get the collective telepathic message in time.

I can't remember the PS taking that many flags.  Maybe in 2003 with Chad (Mr. P.I.) Scott still roaming the field.

Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: