Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 13:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Run Game: Feast or Famine  (Read 1120 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 02, 2007 at 10:53 »

Given the recurrence of "famine" in Zona last Sunday, there are a number of issues I think the coaching staff should consider.

1. Against good run defenses, especially those with big D-linemen and a shown commitment to stacking 8 in the box against the run, our OL is unable to clear holes for Parker.
2. Parker needs to get to at least LOS+1 to make anything happen.  Most backs will not be able to get away from getting hit in the backfield, and won't get much if hit right at the line, but Parker's ability is to use speed (and an underrated strength) to separate once a hole is there.  No hole, no yardage.
3. Against finesse defenses, Parker rightly needs to start the game and be spelled late.  Against beefier Ds, the opposite would seem true: wear them down, then outrun them late.

That indicates to me that maybe we should consider bringing in someone else to be the battering ram.  I don't know that any free agents fit the bill, so here are my thoughts.

1. Davenport.  Runs great as the garbage time cleanup kid.  In the first half, I don't think he can deliver the punishment.  
2. Carey Davis.  If Davis and Kreider are both going to be active anyway, why not keep defenses guessing.  Keeping both FBs in as blockers would indicate pass; then you let Kreider clear the way and hand off to Davis.  Davis looked good in the preseason, and if he can lower the boom 10-15 times, with Kreider lead blocking, might be a good tandem.
3. Gary Russell.  When Spaeth returns, I'd consider de-activating Tuman (or when Ward is back, sit Ced).  Russell is built about the same as Parker, but he's shown some nice ability to use a little shake while dodging tacklers at the LOS, and then using power to run over guys.  Consider alternating Davis and Kreider to keep them twice as fresh as LBs.  Again, 10-15; then bring in Parker.

I'd definitely consider this against the Ravens, Patriots, and Jags.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 11:04 »

Wasn't there talk in the off-season about speading the D out with multi-WR sets, thereby reducing the # of D close to the LOS, and running the football?  Reducing some of this feast or famine stuff that goes back to 5-6 games last year????

Or am I imagining I read Arians say that?

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 11:18 »

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that.  I'd have considered that Sunday... Of course, without Ward...

Hercules50

« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:36 »

Good points.

I think our offense is going to be plagued with lots of negative plays all year, because the O-Line stinks. Lots of plays where Willie is stuffed (and then Ben has to pass out of 2nd-and-11s, 3rd-and-longs), lots of sacks, lots of plays of Ben throwing under pressure.

We're capable of being a big-play offense, and that will mask and cover-up our fundamental problems, but in a lot of ways we've got the same problems we had last year.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 14:17 »

2. Carey Davis.  If Davis and Kreider are both going to be active anyway, why not keep defenses guessing.  Keeping both FBs in as blockers would indicate pass; then you let Kreider clear the way and hand off to Davis.  Davis looked good in the preseason, and if he can lower the boom 10-15 times, with Kreider lead blocking, might be a good tandem.
I don't know if you guys caught it or not, but on one play, the Steelers lined up in a "reverse wishbone" formation, where they had 2 full backs split on either side of Ben (Davis and Kreider?), and a single tailback between them set back further (Parker).

I was totally pumped to see the formation, but then some friggin' linemen false started, and they didn't bring it back out.  I wonder if that's what they had in mind...

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 14:43 »

2. Carey Davis.  If Davis and Kreider are both going to be active anyway, why not keep defenses guessing.  Keeping both FBs in as blockers would indicate pass; then you let Kreider clear the way and hand off to Davis.  Davis looked good in the preseason, and if he can lower the boom 10-15 times, with Kreider lead blocking, might be a good tandem.
I don't know if you guys caught it or not, but on one play, the Steelers lined up in a "reverse wishbone" formation, where they had 2 full backs split on either side of Ben (Davis and Kreider?), and a single tailback between them set back further (Parker).

I was totally pumped to see the formation, but then some friggin' linemen false started, and they didn't bring it back out.  I wonder if that's what they had in mind...

.WiH.
Remember down and distance by any chance?  Or quarter and approx. time that I can look it up?

oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 18:08 »

I remember the lineup too.  I think Hillgrove called it some kind of power i formation but I don't think that's accurate.  But I guess they were lucky Hilgrove knew the Steelers were on offense.

I don't remember the down and distance or time in the game though.  I was curious what they were going to run out of it.  Oh and I think the other "FB" was one of the TEs.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2007 at 18:56 »

2. Carey Davis.  If Davis and Kreider are both going to be active anyway, why not keep defenses guessing.  Keeping both FBs in as blockers would indicate pass; then you let Kreider clear the way and hand off to Davis.  Davis looked good in the preseason, and if he can lower the boom 10-15 times, with Kreider lead blocking, might be a good tandem.

.WiH.
It was Miller with Kreider in the backfield with Willie on that play. I believe it was early 4th quarter.

KTBFFH
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 09:26 »

.WiH.
I remember it and I liked it, but I'd also consider trying it with Kreider and Davis as the Fullbacks. Lots of options there since both Davis and Kreider are actually pretty good at catching the ball out of the backfield (as little used as they are).

Two lead blockers through the hole, each fullback to the flats to clear out linebackers and run the draw up the middle, play action to Heath or Ward, etc., etc.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 10:46 »

I don't remember seeing that formation but maybe I did, because I was thinking, before Ben threw the pick, about a little wishbone action with FWP, Kreider and Big Snacks.  Put Miller in motion, and between the three of them, surely FWP could find a hole for a score.  

I would love to see that.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2007 at 10:47 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: